Amazon Reviews in San Jose, CA | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2384 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 497 reviews)

1. "Applied Scientist"

Current Employee - Applied Scientist in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Applied Scientist in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Package. Good environment. Good team. Good top.

Cons

Little benefits comparing to other companies.

2. "A fast growing big company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in East Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in East Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-- Fast growing
    -- Work with talents
    -- Learning towards action, easy to get things done

Cons

-- Some politics although inevitable in big companies.
    -- No free meals

"Senior Technical Program Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- customer focused working culture
    - standardized processes and structure

Cons

- too much focus on being frugal which may or may not work in all the scenarios

Advice to Management

continue the growth - Amazon is doing a wonderful job in all fronts.

4. "There is not a single company in the world that I would rather work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Learning and Talent Development Specialist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Amazon corporate culture/values are the best in the world. We obsess over customers. Some companies claim to care about customers, but from my experience working in retail management for other companies what they do does not even come close to what Amazon does.

We pioneer, innovate, and value the opinions of employees and customers at all levels . We truly listen to both customers and employees. I have personally worked on many initiatives to put Associate feedback into action. Some of the best ideas come from our front line employees. We listen to their feedback about barriers they face and improvements that can be made to make their job easier or better and we take action to improve those things quickly! This includes anything from adding more food options in the breakroom to making multi-million dollar investments into new technology, equipment, process improvements, etc.

The career opportunities are virtually limitless. While I was a leader in Operations within the Fulfillment Centers I personally reviewed resumes, helped with interview prep, provided opportunities for Associates to take on new and challenging roles, and personally promoted over 30 well deserving Associates from front line employees into Management positions in a span of only about 2-3 years.

Within my own career I have had an opportunity to run a department/area within a Fulfillment Center as an Area Manager where I was able to directly support, train, and mentor a large team of Associates.

I was then able to transition into an ACES Continuous Improvement Manager role where I received expert level training, development, and experience on Lean Six Sigma process improvement strategies equivalent to that of a Black Belt.

I got promoted into a Operations Manager role where I was managing other Operations Area Managers and leading a very large team of Associates in a Fulfillment Center.

I was even able to participate in an innovative new rotational program where my only job was to listen to the needs of both Associates and Managers and ensure that their feedback for improvements got put into action as quickly as possible. We call this Voices in Action. This included anything from adding better flavors of creamer for the free coffee, to adding more fans for better airflow in specific hot spots in the FC, to providing career skills training to Associates wanting to promote and grow in their careers, to providing mentorship and development training to new managers still learning how to be great leaders. The fact that Amazon would invest so much into supporting its employees speaks volumes to the culture of the company and that they are not just talking the talk they are walking the walk.

Through my experiences within Operations I wanted to make a bigger impact on the way the we onboard, train, and continuously develop employees at all levels of the organization. So I was able to transfer into a new role where I am now a part of the North American Learning and Talent Development Team that continues relentlessly to improve every aspect of how we setup new and existing Amazonians for success in their career. I am empowered and encouraged to try new ideas, solve problems, collaborate with other teams, innovate on behalf of both internal and external customers and I love what I do!

I also get the opportunity to work with some of the most intelligent, talented, and motivated people on the planet with a huge amount of diversity, which just further adds to the quality of work that we do as a team and how well we are able to serve our customers and fellow Amazonians.

I even helped a member of my family get a job here through a job recommendation because I knew he would love it too!

Cons

We provide stock to all Amazon employees at all job levels. The stock was somewhere around $340 a share when I joined about 4 years ago. Now it is almost $2,000 a share and just keeps going up! The only hard thing about that is not know when or if you should ever sell it. Amazon wants all of its employees to feel personally invested in the success of the company and they do this by making everyone an Owner both figuratively and literally with stock. It feels great to know that the value we add to the company through our everyday work also gets rewarded through out ownership in Amazon stock.

Advice to Management

If you ever find yourself in a role that does not feel like the right long-term fit you can always look for other opportunities within Amazon through internal transfers. I know a lot of people that have very successfully made changes in their career path from Operations, to HR, or Continuous Improvement, or Learning/Training and Development, or Finance, or Safety, or Maintenance Engineering, etc. The opportunities at Amazon to continue to grow, learn new skills, and explore new opportunities are very common, and the options are virtually limitless.

5. "Very Happy with my Recent Transition"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

> Great to be part of a company that is growing and thriving again
    > Very competitive pay and benefits
    > Good flexibility and work/life balance
    > Exciting new and challenging projects
    > Fast-paced yet strategic environment
    > Great team dynamics

Cons

> Somewhat unclear development/growth path
    > Limited access to local lunch venues

6. "Intern"

Former Intern - Intern in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, super smart people, challenging work

Cons

Compensation can be slightly better

"Great company"

Former Freelancer - Delivery Driver in San Jose, CA
    Former Freelancer - Delivery Driver in San Jose, CA

I worked at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom to work as you can.

Cons

At peak hours they book tons of packages to your route.

8. "Fast-Paced Developments for Customer Value"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined Amazon with a Master's degree with 1 year of experience. I have had so many opportunities for system designs, delivering values to end-customers, and project management. I have been a people manager for more than a year now. I love the products that we have been building at Amazon. If you have passion and want to get a sense of accomplishment, working for Amazon is a great choice.

Cons

Anecdotally, the compensation when you are in lower levels may be a disadvantage, comparing to other tier-1 companies. With Amazon's stock raising as a hockey stick, and the simplification on the promotion process, I don't believe the current salary would matter, when looking back cumulatively after couple years.

"Recent Hire - pleasantly surprised"

Current Employee - Business Development in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Culture - fellow Amazonians are genuinely interested to help you (and Amazon) succeed
    * Processes - Amazon is best-in-class for inventing and instituting processes intended to optimize efficiency and reduce redundancy
    * Leadership - Long-term strategic visionary CEO supported by strong staff of senior leaders
    * Job mobility - once you are in, it's relatively easy to move around to different roles for continuous development and career advancement
    * Work / Life balance - contrary to all the negative press from 2015 timeframe, it's actually quite a balanced workload (it's really up to the employee and manager to figure out what works fore you)
    * Stock - if you are fortunate enough to get a role that offers RSUs, Amazon provides employees an opportunity to grow their wealth along with the company's stock price
    * Personal Development - Amazon offers many avenues for personal development ranging from online courses to mentorships to rotational roles in new areas

Cons

* Salary is lower than peer companies however that gap is typically offset by total comp including sign-on bonus plus stock (if role is eligable)
    * 401k match less generous than peer companies (Amazon matches $0.50 for every $1 of employee contribution up to a certain point)
    * No charitable matching (Amazon does not match employee charitable donations)
    * No sabbatical program

Advice to Management

* Keep up the inspirational leadership with long-term strategic thinking and innovative, swing for the fences risk-taking
    * Recognize and reward the good work of standout employees - provide them with opportunities for increased responsibility

10. "It has been an awesome experience"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits that come with the job

Cons

I don’t have any, it has been a very good experience

Showing 116 of 26,828 reviews