Amazon Reviews in San Luis Obispo, CA | Glassdoor

Jeff Bezos
  1. A great company to intern for

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Amazon for more than 2 years

Pros

The Amazon office in San Luis Obispo, CA has a fantastic intern program which allows students at the nearby California Polytechnic State University to work part time and gain invaluable real-world experience while earning their degree. The position gives interns real tasks which actually benefit the business and allow them to grow rather than 'menial' or meaningless work. Whereas most internship positions for Comp Sci/Software...

Cons

Working part-time while going to school is a big commitment, no matter the employer. However, Amazon is very flexible with scheduling and always allow you to prioritize school over work.

2. Great job for the right type of person

I worked at Amazon full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Very smart people, and lots of room to grow. Powerful infrastructure and internal tools at your disposal. Great benefits.

Cons

There is a certain amount of competition within Amazon. My team ended up in competition with another team which was an odd dynamic. The average work week was far over 40 hours. I understand going above and beyond, but working nights and weekends was the norm.

3. Difficult onboarding, but great experience.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

No... nobody is crying at their desk. Work-life balance in my team is pretty good. Off-hand project management. Within a certain constraint, you can work however you want, whatever you want, and whenever you want. A lot of smart people around you. People respect you because you work for Amazon.

Cons

Recent large scale hiring brought some mediocre engineers to the company. Bad onboarding experience. Amazon relies on your team to onboard you. When the team doesn't have a plan, you get in trouble. I can see that if you are not a top-notch developer, you may struggle with the job. People have high expectations and no one is gonna tell you that you are doing a good job. NO FREE LUNCH

Advice to Management

Implement a plan to eliminate engineers that are good at white-boarding but doesn't have a clue on real work. Onboarding... I know you put a lot of resource in it already, but you need more! And a lot more on the team-level. Come on... give us free lunch!

Jr Software Developer

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Amazon part-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Work with smart people Work you do feels like it matters Pick your hours Can take timeoff to focus on school work Office is laid back

Cons

Difficult at first - a lot to pick up and learn Work can sometimes be tedious No free Amazon Prime

Nice team, a lot of work, fun and opportunities. Evaluation process can be improved

I worked at Amazon full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

A lot of opportunities, if you're an overachiever you can find things that need to be done and will be able to make an impact. Amazon also values ownership of the product so, you will be able to take real proud of your work and you will be able to talk directly with people in other teams easily to get things done. Learning: there are a lot of talks, events, mentorships, video and manual resources at your disposition...

Cons

- The offices (at least San Luis Obispo's): since Amazon considers frugality a core value, forget about nice fixtures or beautiful Google/Facebook/(add tech company here) offices. It will be the simplest thing that would make you work there. I had some complaints about the cleaning too: in my almost year and a half, no one cleaned the office's desks. - The evaluation process and competitiveness: there are things called...

Advice to Management

Fix the evaluation process to include more objective measures and avoid comparing each dev to their peers.

6. Junior Software Developer

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Amazon part-time for more than a year

Pros

I'm working with really smart people who help me to succeed while taking classes. Amazon has provided me with everything I have asked for to make my development workstation more suited to my needs/desires. I get to choose my own hours.

Cons

I have to work in the office. There are less perks than at other companies.

Advice to Management

Continue to make the work environment a place developers want to build a career.

Work hard,. play hard. But mostly work hard.

I worked at Amazon for more than 2 years

Pros

Great connections, got me very experienced in the world of top-teir e-commerce development in a very short time.

Cons

This was an EXCELLENT launching point for my career. But, at least the office I worked in, everything was a little too intense. I simply just didn't have enough hours in the day to get everything done.

Advice to Management

Have a little empathy for your fresh graduates and interns. They put up with way more than you realize at school alone.

Found 7 reviews