Amazon Reviews in San Luis Obispo, CA | Glassdoor

Jeff Bezos
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse (in 2255 reviews)

• No work life - personal life balance (in 466 reviews)

1. "Difficult onboarding, but great experience."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No... nobody is crying at their desk. Work-life balance in my team is pretty good.
    Off-hand project management. Within a certain constraint, you can work however you want, whatever you want, and whenever you want.
    A lot of smart people around you.
    People respect you because you work for Amazon.

Cons

Recent large scale hiring brought some mediocre engineers to the company.
    Bad onboarding experience. Amazon relies on your team to onboard you. When the team doesn't have a plan, you get in trouble.
    I can see that if you are not a top-notch developer, you may struggle with the job. People have high expectations and no one is gonna tell you that you are doing a good job.

NO FREE LUNCH

Advice to Management

Implement a plan to eliminate engineers that are good at white-boarding but doesn't have a clue on real work.

Onboarding... I know you put a lot of resource in it already, but you need more! And a lot more on the team-level.

Come on... give us free lunch!

"Jr Software Developer"

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with smart people
    Work you do feels like it matters
    Pick your hours
    Can take timeoff to focus on school work
    Office is laid back

Cons

Difficult at first - a lot to pick up and learn
    Work can sometimes be tedious
    No free Amazon Prime

"Nice team, a lot of work, fun and opportunities. Evaluation process can be improved"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of opportunities, if you're an overachiever you can find things that need to be done and will be able to make an impact. Amazon also values ownership of the product so, you will be able to take real proud of your work and you will be able to talk directly with people in other teams easily to get things done.

Learning: there are a lot of talks, events, mentorships, video and manual resources at your disposition to become better at what your do.

Team: you'll work with very capable people with deep knowledge in IT who will make you reconsider your approaches. The people is very direct when they say things to you which minimizes the time you spend in discussions. Some people might not like it, but I did. Time is a precious resource so meetings were usually short and direct to the point.

There were also company organized events to mingle and there are always opportunities to have fun like foosball, ping pong or playing humans vs zombies.

The benefits are really good too, with a 6 digits salary + RSU + relocation + signing bonus + medical insurance.

The work-life balance isn't too bad either, although expect to work around 45 hours a week on average + on calls (which in my team, wasn't that bad).

Overall, I feel I improved a lot as a person and professional by working at Amazon. It was the first company I felt really committed to and the core values are really lived at the company. Your experience highly depends on the team you are, but I would certainly recommend to work at the company.

Cons

- The offices (at least San Luis Obispo's): since Amazon considers frugality a core value, forget about nice fixtures or beautiful Google/Facebook/(add tech company here) offices. It will be the simplest thing that would make you work there. I had some complaints about the cleaning too: in my almost year and a half, no one cleaned the office's desks.

- The evaluation process and competitiveness: there are things called "goals" that you have to satisfy in order to progress on your career at Amazon. There's also a job description for each of the positions. And there's also feedback from your peers. Besides of that, there's no formal evaluation of your skills or how you meet your manager's expectations. At the end, unless you are a clear overachiever (say, a rockstar), you will fall in some grey area, in which your manager's opinion of you will be the only determinant on whether you stay or not.

At Amazon, you compete against your peers. You might be really good, but if you are below your team's average performance (either technically or what they call "core values" evaluation, ie: soft skills) in your manager's eyes (no additional objective measure), you are a candidate to a PIP. And that happens to an important percentage of Amazon Software Developers every year (I cannot disclose the number).

Advice to Management

Fix the evaluation process to include more objective measures and avoid comparing each dev to their peers.

4. "Junior Software Developer"

Current Employee - Junior Software Developer in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm working with really smart people who help me to succeed while taking classes. Amazon has provided me with everything I have asked for to make my development workstation more suited to my needs/desires. I get to choose my own hours.

Cons

I have to work in the office. There are less perks than at other companies.

Advice to Management

Continue to make the work environment a place developers want to build a career.

"Work hard,. play hard. But mostly work hard."

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Amazon as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great connections, got me very experienced in the world of top-teir e-commerce development in a very short time.

Cons

This was an EXCELLENT launching point for my career. But, at least the office I worked in, everything was a little too intense. I simply just didn't have enough hours in the day to get everything done.

Advice to Management

Have a little empathy for your fresh graduates and interns. They put up with way more than you realize at school alone.

Showing 5 of 23,797 reviews