Amazon Reviews in Santa Cruz, CA | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexibility & Work/Life Balance" (in 590 reviews)

• "You will learn a lot from each of your team members as they are equally bright & capable" (in 542 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can be hard to build work life balance" (in 2557 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 528 reviews)

1. "Survival of the Fittest Culture"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work a a couple miles from the beach. That is it. No free lunch, no annual bonus, a 401k you will only see when you have finally finished your 3rd year. You never even have time to go to the beach at all.

Cons

Amazon Alexa hires engineers fast, work you like a horse and then when you eventually get burntout, and believe me when I say you will, you will either leave to one of the other silicon valley companies (in which Amazon does no vest your stocks, 401k, or relocation package) or you will get fired from the organization for "under performing.

I have seen engineers whom just got out of ivey league schools get fired, I have seen young adults whom just bought a home close to the office get fired, and I have seen father's of multiple children get fired.

Amazon creates a toxic culture where you are just trying your best to out perform the weakest link on your team and so because you don't want to be the weakest, you either keep pushing or you get burntout and go elsewhere. I have seen women crying at their desks from the stress they are being put on from micromanagement, living in shared housing to afford Bay area cost of living.

There are daily stand up meetings where you have to announce to the team all the things you are working on, and they vote on how much your workload is truly worth. It's just another way for management to give you more work without you fighting back.

Company holidays and team building events are very minimal, Amazon is really great at being as frugal and cheap with their employees.

Break room is filled with junk food that you will get hooked the first month and then won't ever eat because you know it's bad for you

Not a friendly environment, when you get hired you will be in an exciting, ambitious, enthusiastic mood that will give you the motivation to work hard, but a year into it you will see how many people leave and how many people are asked to leave. Amazon doesn't mind because they get the most amount of value from you for the least amount of money. This is what the Alexa organization is all about.

I worked an entire year and I didn't even get a salary increase, none. Not even adjusted to inflation, it's really demoralizing and I am at a point where me and others are studying to interview with Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and Apple.

Advice to Management

Talk to your team about promotions before they get burntout and are right about to leave. Too often I see people get promoted and then leave to another company 2 weeks later because you didn't offer I until they told you they got an offer from another company. Pay your valued employees more, and if that is too difficult, at least have catered food for lunch. I mean for the cost of like $10 a person in the office, people will give way more of that back during their lunch break at their desk or after they had lunch. If that is too expensive at least have healthier options in the kitchen. Please show this to executive management to get more funding for this organization. Alexa is a long term goal, don't take small gain short cuts.

Please show this to Rob Williams.

Showing 1 of 29,604 review