Amazon Reviews in Santa Monica, CA | Glassdoor

4.4
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Get chance to learn a lot while working on a real world problem (in 425 reviews)

• It really depends on the individual employees to maintain the work-life balance (in 339 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not easy to maintain (in 1970 reviews)

• There is nearly no work life balance (in 422 reviews)

1. "Working for Amazon"

Current Employee - Post Production in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Post Production in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For the first time in my career I feel in control of how I work. I love how Amazon asks the question "how can we work better?" and then allows me to make the changes I feel make my work better. Everything is new and exciting. Very much how it was when I started my career in production.

Cons

Office is in Santa Monica!

Advice to Management

I would like more exposure to other departments.

"Production Artist"

Current Employee - Production Artist in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Production Artist in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

growing company, a lot of opportunity, really smart and innovative co-workers, flexible schedule, amazing management

Cons

little direction, kind of disorganized (but only because this sector is just beginning!)

3. "Finance Division"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of opportunities to take ownership and lead initiatives. Many dedicated individuals that work hard to deliver results

Cons

Technology for the Finance division is still behind the more advanced Retail front-end and Operations systems. This makes gathering data difficult, but there are several projects that are looking to address this concern.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to place employees in the best role possible

"Amazon Video - Hierarchical, process driven and unpleasant"

Current Employee - Senior Content Acquisition Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Content Acquisition Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great products
    Broadly intelligent staff
    Mostly friendly, if not helpful peers
    Ability to WFH - but frankly you'll be working so much you'll have to work from home whether you want to or now

Cons

Zero transparency about almost everything
    Strict hierarchy that disctates essentially whose opinions matter even if you're an expert and have done the research
    Unable to make a decision on anything even if it's just common sense without 15 pages of data
    Content decision made by finance and marketing not creative staff
    Levels are completely out of whack with some people in the same role having 4-5 years experience and other 10-15
    Long hours, unrealistic expectations and non-stop fire drills
    Culture is awful. Zero work life balance and senior staff hired into the company are it seems made to purposely feel terrible. Constant focus on recruiting due to churn (though they call it constant growth)
    self-service culture is just a way to make you work harder - do your job and that of two other people and also do all of your IT, admin, travel, expenses etc. on your own time.
    IT equipment is so terrible you end up having to buy your own if you actually need to get real work done
    Company is utterly bottlenecked by decision-making being done directly by Bezos and Bezos alone. Crazy as a former Facebook, Google and NBCU employee.
    No communication between different teams to a comical level
    Way too much emphasis on Netflix

Advice to Management

Fix the culture of hierarchy - you shouldn't need to be an L10 to say something in a meeting when you're part of a working group. Fix salaries and levels so they areactually commensurate with experience and ability - it's insulting to experienced staff when titles and levels are so broad. Older staff are all at levels lower than newer less experienced staff. Promotions are based on who you know and how much exposure you get, not work product or ethic.
    Improve terrible salary and benefits ~30-40% below comparative companies with no chance for any upside coupled with a hierarchy, awful titles, little true delegation and horrible hours is not a recipe for success.

5. "Awesome"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Amazon (More than a year)

Pros

Company is great but each team/site does it's own thing. Very smart engineering and excellent people. Lots of opportunities to learn new things

Cons

No career growth. No work and life balance. The company's culture of Frugality is sometimes senseless and detrimental to the company

6. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Amazon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work, great culture to be a part of, and as a contracted employee they were incredibly flexible to work with.

Cons

Third party payment company (MBO) was terrible about communication, payment, and customer service.

Showing 6 of 19,343 reviews