Amazon Senior Architect Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 32 reviews

4.3
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos
  1. "I don't feel like I am working"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in West Chester, PA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you like making customers happy you will love this place. If you like being on the cutting edge of technologies or technology movements you will love this place. Very little politics and the leadership principles are reflected in everything we do, they are not an afterthought, but, what we rely on in order to make decisions. All the resources you could ever need to do your job. Everyone knows Amazon and folks... are eager to work with you.

Cons

Too many tools, I like to joke that we have 3 tools for every problem you need solved. It is very much a start up culture, so sometimes it feels like we are building the airliner mid flight. The "firehose" refers to your first 6 months here, where you feel constantly overwhelmed and out of your depth. The company turns on a dime, which can be overwhelming if you like comfort. Yes, people will always have to tell... you how much they love Prime when they meet you.

Advice to Management

More documentation on pivots would be great. It sometimes takes the ripple of decisions weeks before everyone is aware of what is happening and whether or not it was a good idea. Tools that lots of people use, should have some sort of consensus from lots of people before they are rolled out. Even a focus group review of new tools and processes would be welcome. We understand that security is job zero, but, more... thought needs to be put into changes to access to tools.

Amazon2019-03-21

"The good and bad after 3 years at AWS as a SA"

Former Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Herndon, VA

I worked at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• Starting pay was decent but low pay increases. Good bonus for first two years. Equity is great because the stock is doing so well. Fun conferences and many learning opportunities • The Amazon brand, saying that you worked here (it matters for some people/companies). I got an offer from Microsoft largely due to the rivalry and brand. I turned them down. I got calls from Google too which I didn’t pursue

Cons

• Scheming culture - There are a lot of smart people, but there are also a lot of untalented schemers who get ahead by sucking up and bad mouthing others behind their back. Culture makes it very difficult to form a network. • Bad middle-management - You’re working with many A-type's especially in the middle management ranks. Middle management is not transparent and always scheming. They will back stab you and... throw you under the bus first chance they get, if it means saving their own skin and if you’re not part of the “in” crowd. Zero feedback or appreciation from middle management • Non-commission based work - Support multiple commissions based non-technical Account Managers where they make big money (via commissions) and you do the hard work and burn out • No teams, just groups - They try to mold you into a technical widget so you can potentially be easily replaced and the culture promotes isolation and lack of synergy, all individual contributor work. They want you to know as little as possible outside of your tunnel vision • Just building block services that are costly - Strong IaaS player, but bad when it comes to SaaS or PaaS models. Many new services are MVP and waiting for features of interest can be a long wait. They put a spin with low costs and utility style billing but seeing the bills of many customers are anything but cheap. AWS is always competition with everyone which creates a lack of trust, and the customers don’t always come out on top and the product is not always rock solid

Advice to Management

1. Change your culture to focus on employees, don't treat them like widgets 2. Replace your middle management with people who actually like to manage 3. Reduce the levels of middle management, culture of back stabbing

Amazon2019-03-29

"Learning and building cool things are part of the job!"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most companies hire people for what they already know and you need to deliver results quickly. At AWS, they hire you if they believe that you can learn and they give you time to learn and build whatever you like on their platform. When you are ready to work with the customers, a big part of the job is continue to learn new things.

Cons

First couple of months is like drinking from a firehose. But it gets better.

Amazon2019-01-29

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazon/AWS gives you the freedom to work without micromanagement. That trust results in great employees who use that freedom to perform above and beyond for their own personal development and for their customers.

Cons

If you are not a self-starter, you probably won't have a good time here.

Amazon2019-02-01

"Solutions Architect - Amazon Web Sevices"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Boston, MA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

When I joined about three years ago stock was low, it went up 3x, compensation wise I made good money however there is no life work balance, there is no appreciation. I did not get any raise in last three years. Most worker bees - SA, TAM, SDEs, proserve consultants are nice people. I enjoyed working with such talented people but managers and directors are ruining this company.

Cons

I worked here for about three and half years. Company was great when I joined. Now its bad. Many useless managers, play dirty politics to survive. Directors and senior leaders in our org can be replaced by rock and company will still do better. They have no leadership skills. Andy Jassy, Jeff Bezos are good but theirs values not followed by these managers. Andy and Jeff have no time to motivate workers anymore.... There is push for female equality but that just means promoting non qualified women to leadership positions. Long term this is against cause of equality. This is not fare to hardworking and qualified men, we have families too. There are good female leaders such as Teresa Carlson, she is the best, deserves to be the leader, she motivates and takes care of her people.

Advice to Management

Jeff Bezos and Andy Jassy should review leadership principles, check its effectiveness, and try to motivate people again. Share your wealth with worker bees. Fire all VPs, Directors, senior managers and ask them to reapply to their position and see if they can qualify. Please review female equality program, its went too far from its goals. Please help your people manage work life balance.

Amazon2018-12-23

"AWS: Great place to work, but not for everybody"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

1. Exposure to cutting edge technology 2. Experimenting is encouraged 3. Flexible schedule (work from home) - except when on business trips

Cons

For the most part, you do not get specific assignments - it is up to you to find your specialization, technical challenges to work on, solutions that will benefit customers - in short, you have to be a self-starter! If you like a more structured environment when your manager decides what you do and sets the goals - Amazon AWS is not for you. We also do about 20% of travel - if you cannot accommodate travel, position... at Amazon AWS might not be for you.

Amazon2018-11-05
  7. "Walk the Talk, an Ocean to dive deep and discover gems every hour of the Day!"

Current Employee - Senior Data Architect in East Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazingly insane and intensive environment, fast paced with cutting edge and bleeding edge latest technologies, most of those truly game changing. I have been with AWS as a Sr Data Architect, Big Data, IoT, AI and Analytics for 7 months. Every hour of those 7 months at work and off work while learning or training has been a privilege. For months after joining Amazon, I wondered how come comes a week-end after... Friday? There is so much to learn and so little time, you feel like standing in front of the ocean all the time, and wonder how would you ever be able to swim through the vastness.. All the leadership principles of Amazon, 'Customer Obsession, Working Backwards, Frugality, Work Hard- Make History- Have Fun, Raising the Bar with every new hire, Invent and Simplify, Bias for Action, Insist on Highest Standards, Leads are Right a Lot, Vocally Self Critical, Ownership (no such thing as That's not my job), Think Big, Have Backbone-Disagree and Commit, Deliver Results, Earn Trust of Others and Your Customer, Dive Deep... All practiced in real time, in my past 7 months here at Amazon. Have been in the industry for 18 years, have been privileged to work with the best and the brightest all over the US. But Amazon is above all and by far the best place to learn, work and contribute. It changes you as a person, fundamentally. When you practice these principles day in and day out, your perspective in life completely transforms. Above all, I feel extremely humbled with every passing day to have the opportunity to work for Amazon.

Cons

None so far. No cons I have noticed so far. 98% of the time, folks and team members I have had the opportunity to work with, have been amazed with sheer quality. That leaves 2% shy from a perfect 100%. But then, it is an individual's perspective. Some times those 2% are more valuable elsewhere and so are justified to be in the team.

Advice to Management

Keep Rolling!

Amazon2018-10-08
  8. "Great culture, Good benefits, Great comp"

Senior Security Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon for less than a year

Pros

I joined AWS 3 months ago. Nothing but good things to say about the company. Coming from 25 years of experience in corporate world (Wallstreet, Retail, Business Consulting) Amazon is the place to be. Customer is always at the forefront of the business. Working backwards works, those concepts stimulate the culture in a unique, very appealing, way.

Cons

Workload. The business is expanding and there are never enough people to get the job done

Advice to Management

Keep going. Something must have been done right to move from a single book store to what Amazon is today :)

Amazon2018-09-14

"Excellent company and always customer focused"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Clear goals and targets from the leaders; Always customers focused and put great effort to solve customer needs and think backward; Very high competent teams and friendly env. Good salary payment with competitive bonus and stock options for all. Process focused to solve issues quickly;

Cons

Now a high organization with multiple branches. May end with slow decision making and un-proficient in some areas.

Amazon2018-05-07

"Great company to work at, especially for the first 2 to 3 years"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You will learn a LOT! You will get an MBA in the Cloud technologies. You will work with great people who were selected on their merit and knowledge. There's always someone to learn from.

Cons

After the first 2 to 3 years your salary takes a hit and you will start looking to move on to another company. Amazon, for some strange reason, doesn't seem to care much about retaining professionals after that time frame.

Advice to Management

Make data-driven decisions (which most of you do).

Amazon2018-04-23