Amazon Senior Financial Analyst Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Flexibility & Work/Life Balance" (in 607 reviews)

• "You will learn a lot in this place" (in 555 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance is tough sometimes" (in 2599 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 536 reviews)

1. "Best Company to work for!!"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best Brand
    Rub Shoulders with the smartest people on planet
    work on most complex problems
    Best Office- In the middle of Seattle

Cons

Nothing Yet But if something comes up then i will update

2. "Great company with solid vision and values"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really appreciated the strong focus on the leadership principles. People actually lived them, which was very helpful for decision making in ambiguous situations.

Cons

Hours can sometimes be abit much

3. "Exciting business and company but be prepared to really work hard."

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting work and you're surrounded by top talent all the time. Corporate culture is very strong and employees follow the leadership principles.

Cons

If your manager is not effective, your workload could become unwieldy very quickly. Work life balance suffers easily.

"Avoid Finance Roles"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Moves fast and places bets quickly. Opportunities to work in different groups. Leader in multiple markets. Energetic peers. Outside of finance there are some good opportunities.

Cons

Employees are not valued at Amazon and there is no emphasis on making it a desirable place to work, with finance at very bottom of corporate totem pole. If in finance you will spend most of your time chasing bad data and fixing manual processes, and and almost no time on analysis or strategy. Finance roles seen as data aggregation roles, not as analysts or business influencers. Poor finance tools, bad data scattered across groups, hard to get access, ad hoc manual processes. Long hours and high stress. Fast growth has led to hiring whoever is available so if you are unemployed you can get a job at Amazon, but be prepared to work in a dysfunctional group with bad managers where employees are seen as consumable resources, not assets. Weak managers, low job satisfaction, high turnover so constantly doing multiple jobs to cover open heads, long unsatisfying hours. Met many in finance in different Amazon businesses and across the board finance jobs had low satisfaction. High levels of frustration and stress - the faster growing the group the greater the stress. Many folks hired in who don't realize what they are getting into as Amazon desperate to hire then alters roles. Outside of finance, also demanding but met various people who liked their work, but not any within finance. Weekly reporting cycle is also a grind that detracts from value add work (in contrast to monthly reporting in most companies). If you are going to work at Amazon, live in Seattle within walking distance as traffic on city streets has become extremely congested. Stock is minimal until after two years. No comp increases after first year of employment. If stock rises, then no additional stock awards for future years. Talk to actual current employees and not just your interview loop.

Advice to Management

Add 'value employees' or 'desirable place to work' to the many company leadership principles. Invest in financial reporting systems. Reward good people managers and move poor people managers to non-manager roles.

5. "Senior Financial Analyst"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity. No mater what level you can have an impact. Good pay, benefits, stock grants.

Cons

Day 1 Company, Type A personalities, FAST pace, can burn you out.

Advice to Management

Promote form within. The promotion process is not always fair or consistent.

6. "Open office breeds introverts"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are well compensated and the offices are new

Cons

The open office set up is proven to make people more introverted. Approaching anyone is difficult in the wide open offices. Training is non existent
    Open office may work for some but I don’t think the majority

Advice to Management

Make even low level managers more approachable and supportive

"Good growth oppotunities"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing business: the company has $150 bn in revenue and still grows 20% a year - many small companies struggle to grow at that rate, but the behemoth Amazon does. This means Amazon is in constantly hiring and promoting its employees, besides there are tons of rotation opportunities (a practice that is encourage by the way).

I like the work life balance. I have never witnessed anything absurd like the media reports, though it is a 500,000 employee company so anything can happen beyond what I can see. That said, my work is pretty much ok, I arrive at 9, leave at 6 and I can easily get personal time off if needed.

Cons

No perks compared to other technology peers: "frugality" is one of Amazon's core principles, which means you won't get perks like free food like you do at Google, for example. That said that is pretty much like any non-technology company in America and elsewhere, and I'd rather have the perks converted in higher compensation.

The company is not very profitable: don't let the stock price fool you. As a retailer, it operates at razor thin margin, and Amazon never made profits outside the north america segment and AWS. This means the company is exposed to layoffs and sharp stock depreciation in a macroeconomic downturn, which should happen sooner or later.

"Worth it if you have a good manager"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great salary, okay benefits, great working culture, full of nice people.
    Plenty of opportunities to move around. Once you're inside Amazon, it's not that hard to reach out to internal hiring managers and have a chat.
    They take the Leadership Principles very seriously. The company has a clear vision. Follow these principles and you'll be fine.
    In 50%+ of the departments that I have been, there is no b.s. politics.

Cons

Compensation is a tricky topic at Amazon. The stocks only start to kick in at your 2nd anniversary. Also, if the stocks are up, they give you little to no raise in annual reviews, unless you perform extraordinarily well. I kind of understand that the total compensation matters, but Facebook and Google gives you a raise regardless of the stock price.

While Amazon values meritocracy (a lot), some people are way overdue for promotion.
    If you have a bad manager, you'll be in big trouble. There is no system to ensure the managers don't abuse their employees. There is a daily survey called "Connections", but I have not seen any actions taken from the feedback.
    Do your due diligence before joining a team. Some teams exist essentially to make their business partners happy. In a past experience that I had, I supported an AWS team on the finance side. In that particular role, I was measured on how happy I made my business partners, not necessarily how much controllership I offered.

Advice to Management

Look at the "Connections" reviews more carefully. Bad managers should get training and be educated.
    Having skip-manager 1:1's help.

9. "Senior Financial Analyst"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good working environment. You get to work with a lot of driven and smart people

Cons

You wear too many hats

"Its a roller coaster ride"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to be in if you like your work to be kind of a roller coaster ride, with lot of twists and turns and sometimes a surprising lull too. Amazon is practically now so many different companies that you could be here for 20 years without your job feeling redundant. Lot of passionate and smart people looking to do great work, makes you push yourself to achieve more.

Cons

A lot of the teams still operate like a startup or small company with few processes and learning on the go, creating redundant processes and loosely defined roles. Though it provides lot of exposure, it sometimes leads to inefficiencies

Advice to Management

Now that some of the businesses have become so big, need to create a well defined org structure, more refined and focused leadership, defined roles and responsibilities.