Amazon Senior Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Learn a lot and good work office (in 445 reviews)

• I feel empowered working at Amazon and I have a great work life balance (in 382 reviews)

Cons
  • While my work-life balance is great - others are having a different experience (in 2077 reviews)

• No work life balance at the FC, unless you are senior level (in 436 reviews)

1. "Love working on Amazon Alexa!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, hard working, motivated colleagues
    Fast paced
    Challenging, interesting work
    Great offices
    No bureaucracy
    Lots of diversity

Cons

The "self serve" culture can be challenging. No hand-holding here. Have to figure out what you need to be successful and then seek it out.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Let employees know what they need to do to be successful and have them figure it out. Stay lean.

"Exciting Work, Abusive Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Jeff Bezos and his "S-Team" are brilliant and continue to make great decisions for long-term growth.

You work with smart people, you work on exciting projects, you are pushed to your limits...which can be rewarding when you accomplish great things. The diversity of the potential work and innovation can be very alluring. I've often called Amazon my "Sexy Mistress...she's emotionally abusive, but she's so sexy that I go back for more punishment."

Cons

The management process is abusive, and I'm currently a manager. I've seen too much "behind the wall" and hate how our individual performers can be treated. You are forced to ride people and stack rank employees...I've been forced to give good employees bad overall ratings because of politics and stack ranking.

Advice to Management

Don't pretend that the recent NY Times article was all about "isolated incidents". The culture IS abusive and it WILL backfire once stock value starts to drop. I'm an 8 year veteran and I no longer recommend former peers to interview with Amazon.

3. "Sr. Technical Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Waterbury, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Waterbury, CT

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Super flexible. Constant learning and improvement. The bar is set pretty high which I really like. You are encouraged to make noise on behalf of your customers.

Cons

401k match a bit soft compared to prior employers. So many things going on its sometimes hard to pick one to dive deep. You need good intuition and prioritization skills to avoid drowning.

Advice to Management

Andy.... Jeff..... keep doing what you are doing.

4. "Sr. Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Constantly evolving! It is a company that is not afraid of change and trying new things. The position itself is fast paced, a lot of face time with associates, and never dull. Advancement is there for those who want it. You can relocate anywhere you want, Amazon is everywhere.

Cons

You need to have a strong work ethic, if you do not have one, don't apply. You will be working in a world of ambiguity, if you can't handle that and are not the type of person that can come up with solutions without much direction, this isn't the place for you. If you have thin skin and can't take constructive feedback, this isn't the place for you. Amazon is the kind of place where you are surrounded by all "A team" players. There is a saying, Amazon is where overachievers go to work to feel mediocre. It is hard work.

Advice to Management

Be able to work hard. Be able to work long hours. It will pay off in the end.

5. "Love it here!"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Constantly learning culture
    Smart people
    Big dreams can be realized
    Thinking Big is encouraged
    Writing culture - encouraging one to think through ideas

Cons

Too many choices can create confusion.
    Wiki for everything - self learning culture can be hard initially.

6. "Great place to learn and grow; love the culture too"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined Amazon as a Sr Product Manager. So far I really enjoyed working here for several reasons:

1. Culture

I like Amazon's 14 leadership principles (LP) and the company's culture formed based on LPs. Many companies have culture out there but not every company and employee can truly internalize it. At Amazon, I met many good performers who truly internalized the LPs and apply them in their daily work. For example, teams are often "customers" to each other internally, and you can see that LPs such as customer obsession, think big etc. are impacting every decision making. Such practices not only benefit one's customers but benefit their own work as well.

2. Data & logic-driven decision making + clear/concise/direct communication

Many people have heard about the "6-pager" white paper practice. Often I need to write one-pager (high level of a program/project), two-pagers or six-pagers (the "white paper"), PRFAQs etc. They are very helpful for me to organize my thoughts and push me to develop thorough thinking, and to use data, voice of customers etc. to build a strong case. This is a very good practice to improve my personal capability, not just "something I have to do for my job". Clear/concise/direct communication also works effective and widely acceptable here so that we can all be effective and focus.

3. Many internal opportunities across organizations/teams/locations if you are a performer.

4. Many learning opportunities as long as you have passion to learn and don't mind working hard/going extra miles :-)

Cons

I don't see any cons from my perspective.

7. "Technical Program Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lot of opportunities to expand your career and impact
    free lunch in some subsidiaries
    very open culture

Cons

Very competitive
    You have to be comfortable with fast pace as things move very fast

8. "Marathon Not a Sprint"

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You get out what you put in. There is no shortage of more work to take on, ideas to share and initiatives to start. If you are a creative mind, enjoy your days never being the same and can thrive in an environment with little direction and an exceptionally high bar- You can do anything at Amazon.

Cons

It is easy to get lost in the shuffle of an incredibly competitive environment and ruthless prioritization. People struggle with respecting other’s time. Many meetings and last minute cancellations.

Advice to Management

Inconsistent leadership. Many are strong and have respect and inspire the team/org. Others do not have these qualities - inconsistency in leadership and often feels like the bar is not equally high across leadership talent.

9. "You will learn a lot"

Former Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Senior Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work with some really smart and talented people.

Cons

Extremely ambiguous and employees are demanded to work long hours

Advice to Management

Good luck on world domination

10. "Customer obsession and innnovation"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best part of working at Amazon is the strong culture of innovation and customer obsession. The working backwards process is a great way to align with leadership and other key stakeholders on any new idea you have. It is the largest startup in the world.

Cons

Due to the fast paced culture, there is sometimes ambiguity around what you should be specifically working on. People who are able to roll with the punches and figure things out will be the most successful here.

Advice to Management

Keep culture of innovation