Amazon Senior Product Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2306 reviews)

• "No work life - personal life balance" (in 473 reviews)

1. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Product Management in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Product Management in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Customer obsessed and fast-moving for a large company. Great overall culture and good managers on most teams. Feels good to be part of something that is redesigning the customer retail experience on a daily basis.

Cons

As the company gets larger, it can be more difficult to get things done quickly. However, still much less bureaucracy than companies of comparable size.

2. "Great company for customers and shareholders, not employees"

Former Employee - Senior Manager, Product Management in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager, Product Management in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Above market pay
    - You get to see how a 400K+ people organization set itself up to move at decent speed
    - You will learn some new useful management processes that you will take with you for later (they are called mechanisms at Amazon)
    - relatively manageable office politics and a highly results oriented culture
    - If you are "talented", working at Amazon is pretty easy on your work life balance

Cons

- Micro management from above (they call it attention to detail and congratulate themselves, but are pretty bad at figuring out which details to pay attention to)
    - You will not learn from those around you. Talent at Amazon is shockingly week
    - If you have an entrepreneurial and get-it-done mindset, the pace at Amazon and the focus on avoiding criticism from random people gets in the way of building stuff
    - Poor resource and budget allocations get in the way and if you are unlucky, you will spend 80% of your time dealing with it
    - Lots of "gotcha"s in how pay, RSUs, relocation assistance are structured. For instance, my role is very different from what was promised in the job offer, but Amazon still wants me to pay back the money spent moving for the role.

Advice to Management

Retail is just coasting today on the "flywheel" that got set up a long time ago. Don't kid yourself into thinking you are killing it as a company now based on current financial results.

3. "Senior Product Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Scale of projects are incredible.

Cons

Not the friendliest culture. Dogs.

4. "Good brand name, sincere management, middle managers are less than ordinary"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, great brand, good offices

Cons

Middle managers, race to get promotions at the cost of short term hacks

Advice to Management

Give more power to employees than people managers

5. "Amazon summer internship"

Former Intern - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good compensation, lot of internal mobility, very dog friendly

Cons

Little personal interactions, very frugal workspace, lot of white paper writing

"Sr. Product Manager"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Smart people, especially on the front lines and in line management
    * Cool problems
    * Relatively high level of autonomy, transparency
    * Values scrappiness, data savvy
    * Relatively less organizational politics than places of similar size
    * Great place to be a woman in early career; I am assessed based on my capabilities far more than my gender. This may not be as true in the FCs as it is in corporate HQ.
    * Jeff B, for all his lack of empathy on Twitter, is a brilliant business leader and refuses to let the organization get complacent or over-bureaucratic. That's a tendency of large organizations and he checks it and pushes Jeff W to correct for it much faster than other leaders. I fundamentally deeply trust his ability to keep us on track.

Cons

* Currently going through one of those "we hired too fast, now we need to de-bureaucratize our selves" periods.
    * I'm not confident that senior leadership values diversity enough, and that can mean that good ideas from women, people of color, and people who understand poorer communities get heard don't get the traction they deserve.
    * Especially in the US Retail business, many leaders were promoted based on what made us successful ~5 years ago and haven't been able to adjust their leadership styles to new realities.

Advice to Management

Deal with upper management performance problems faster
    Work on communicating that you're aware of problems and what you're doing to fix them at a company level faster

"Learn and be stretched, your VP org makes a big difference"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn!
    -Operational excellence
    - Rigorous thinking
    - Deep analysis
    - Defend positions and proposal under intense scrutiny
    - Work on really big initiatives with big dollars ($BB - with 2 Bs)
    - Smart people who, in my experience, have been great teammates
    - Build and optimize
    - Report on performance under a microscope
    - Learn how to influence across all levels, how to get stuff done without owning or managing most of the resources

Cons

-Getting slow- larger and large, so more and more bureaucracy.
    -Decisions by committee. Not uncommon to be on version 40 of your proposal and a VP gives you back his copy and he literally corrected a comma vs semi-colon usage
    - Law of large numbers. Used to be $1B oppty was enough; now it's like <$10B and who cares
    - The VP org matters. In one VP org, 70-80 work weeks is common; in another, a pretty standard 40-50 hours (same pay, so you do you the math on the hourly rate...)
     - Centralization of teams - so it can become a never ending battle of fighting for resources, to get on some team's roadmap
    - In many roles, A LOT of manual effort

Advice to Management

- Re-think PR/FAQ- I think it is getting in the way. No uncommon for the PR/FAQ review to stretch into months and months. Honestly, one time, 6 months of effort and all I was a strategy doc. Now that is one expensive doc!
    - "Speed in business matters" - we're getting slow and the Connections Data shows this, big time
    - "Customer obsession" - I feel leadership can by hypocritical here. Who the heck made the decision to remove the YouTub partnership? Basically made Echo Show useless, a very expensive speaker
    - Shopping behavior doesn't necessarily mean we know our customer. I actually think we don't know our customer very well at all. Our personalization widgets have grown stale, very stale

"Great company if you’re up to managing your own career"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovation
    Challenging
    Flexibility
    I work with extremely smart people! Everyday I learn something new. I appreciate that I get to solve problems

Cons

Some old school management philosophy
    Not enough diversity. Like hires like even with the bar raiser program. If you’re not up to managing your career, you can get stuck

9. "Great company, requires extreme dedication"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to grow and find the “right” space for you in the company. Good benefits.

Cons

A career at Amazon can take over your life if you let it

10. "Work hard, get stuff done"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a strong culture of getting things done, and reduced appetite for employees or management that doesn't. Like any company, not every worker or management lives up to it, but rather than people stay in their roles for years accomplishing little, the cycle time is much less (6-18mo). And if you don't like the group you're in or work you're doing, it's easy to move to something else inside the company.

Cons

Compensation may not be as immediately competitive as other firms. But if you are a top performer, you'll be compensated. And the company is growing like crazy, which shows in the stock price.