Amazon Senior Technical Program Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 14, 2019

4.4
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

"An awesome place to take ownership as a technology professional"

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Strong product culture: one of the best in tech, actually. If you've read Inspired by Marty Cagan, Amazon is a good representation. * Great leadership: Amazons managers are great to work with and learn from. As a whole, the company truly lives up to its principles at every level of the organization, every day. * Seattle is a central location for big tech - Amazon, Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Expedia, Zillow,... Redfin, Tableau, and Nanostring to name the more notable. * Opportunities abound: If you're a high performer, you'll never get bored here. From robotics to fligh logistics to streaming media - there's always a new problem. And leaders expect and encourage mobility. My objective within the next two years is to take a position overseas.

Cons

Work/life balance - this is not the place to work if you're expecting a strict 9-to-5 schedule. True ownership of results comes at a price. That said, I find it very easy to have work/life "harmony"

Amazon2019-04-22
  2. "Rewarding"

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to change the world

Cons

Never enough people for the work

Amazon2019-07-12

"Excellent place to work"

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was skeptical about the company culture having read so many articles about how Amazon squeezes every last drop from the employees. Not true! It is like any other competitive technology workplace where the number of hours is not the measure of performance. As long as you are able to deliver your assignments/job responsibilities efficiently, it is all good. The one thing I am loving about Amazon is that they... don't do the "artificial HR talk" about loyalty and "employees are family" type of words that many large corporations pretend to follow. Managers do take good care of employees and offer flexibility as much as possible within their control. People who complain always find a way to complain. Seattle downtown is great and food options around are very cool.

Cons

I was surprised to see chaos around some basic issues that exist in legacy companies but not expected in new-age companies like Amazon (e.g. two groups not talking to each other, less documentation, immature processes).

Advice to Management

1. Time to spend some costs in operational efficiency! 2. Up your strategy in AWS to combat the multi-cloud/hybrid cloud strategy from competitors.

Amazon2019-05-17
  4. "Great Place to work for 4 years"

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Awesome projects, great customer focus, tons of fun.

Cons

Turning into a conglomerate that can't get out of it's own way.

Amazon2019-05-17

"Research your position and your Manager before Joining"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- fast paced - interesting work - always shipping is addictive

Cons

- no process (its day one every day and that is not a good thing) - high level politics force astounding attrition - limited growth - 80 hour work weeks for L6 (Senior) staff If you do not change teams every year, it is likely you will get managed out before you realize your RSUs, so don't bet the farm on any total comp offered. There is little if any career development unless you luck out on a decent... manager and skip manager, but even in those cases, there is no stability in reporting chains.

Advice to Management

Amazon is likely the most effective, least efficient organization on the planet. Its attrition for engineers and mid level managers is astounding. The premise that work life balance is not important and that fixing culture is not important because "there is a line up out the door of people to work here" is tremendously short sighted. The total lack of corporate maturity manifest in huge risk and tech debt.

Amazon2019-05-16
  6. "Honest Review of working with Amazon"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Technically Challenging -Lot of new things to learn -Fast Paced

Cons

- Too fast paced may not be suited for all

Amazon2019-04-29
  7. "Amazon Security"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Amazon full-time

Pros

The pay was good and comfortable.

Cons

Everything else was not good enough to speak more about.

Amazon2019-04-28

"Excited about the opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for less than a year

Pros

One thing to call out is that as Amazon is a large company, your experiences will vary based on your team. I have largely only had positive experiences and am very happy I made the transition to work at Amazon. Some of the pros I've experiences: - I am constantly challenged by incredibly smart and hard-working individuals, the culture embraces learning new things and stretching yourself - I've been given... significant responsibility and the ability to make meaningful impact almost immediately - Compared to more traditional companies, there is no red tape. If you have a good idea, just make it happen. Individuals at all levels are empowered to do what they think is best. You don't have to have 5 managers approve something for you to get your work done. - Work-life balance is incredibly important. Almost everyone on my team has kids and they all value your evenings and weekend time. Members of my team have gotten dinged for working on the weekend. And it's very understandable if you need to work from home (even suddenly if something comes up with your kids)

Cons

- There isn't much sharing across teams in the company. I find out about what other teams are doing in the public news. - While benefits are very good compared to most companies, we're behind other tech companies. Having some support for childcare would be appreciated and make a difference.

Advice to Management

Try to keep the culture consistently focused on the Leadership Principles, it's a great place to work.

Amazon2019-03-19
  9. "Amazon is all about Work hard, have fun and make history"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Innovation Still an engineering company Smart workforce

Cons

Its a big ship (lots of opportunity), but you can get lost. Culture doesn't support inclusiveness, you have to be self motivated Be ready to push back. Whoever pushes back harder wins. Team culture and leadership style varies significantly; from cut throat to setup for success.

Advice to Management

Keep the engineering and experimental vibe alive. Keep it flat.

Amazon2019-03-25

"Previous work at Amazon"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Program Manager

I worked at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work with smart people

Cons

Work life balance is slightly difficult

Amazon2019-02-07