Amazon Reviews in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England | Glassdoor

Amazon Slough Reviews

Updated August 10, 2018

Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2306 reviews)

• "No work life - personal life balance" (in 473 reviews)

1. "Amazon Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager Payments in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, respect, training, compassionate

Cons

Nothing at all, its an amazing employee.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

2. "too big"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really cool team, the people you were with are usually smart and interesting. I made some good friends there

Cons

- There was a clear preference for British staff who would get promoted much faster than the non-brits, to progress you had to do side projects, however they were not made public but were discreetly attributed in the background....
    - If you had issues, you could not really voice them unless you wanted to be black-listed and labelled a negative grump.
    - The quotas were simply impossible to reach unless you cheated, which most people ended up doing (would it be stating you did 8 hours work when in fact you did 10, or other stuff...people got real creative).
    - At the end of the day you are very much a number in a massive machine and there isn't really a feeling that you are truly valued.

Advice to Management

It is tough on management because ultimately they have a lot of pressure on their shoulders too, it comes from much higher up, and let's face it, Amazon can take the turn over, people are rushing at the door to work there because it looks good on the CV, I cannot see them change or why they would want to change because from their point of view, it works..

3. "Blue badger"

Former Contractor - Associate Vendor Manager in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Amazon as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

- smart colleagues
    - customer focused

Cons

- intense focus to add product to site, even if not great
    - run by a lot of former consultants - know how to speak this language

Advice to Management

- work/life balance needs to be looked at

4. "SPM"

Former Employee - SPM in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - SPM in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great tools, great processes, intelligent workforce

Cons

Not collaborative, not entrepreneurial, short term focus

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the weeds

5. "Loved the learning"

Current Contractor - Data Analyst in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to gain responsibilities and expand your skill set. I was given a tutor, even though a contractor to improve my skills and become even better

Cons

I did not like the working late in to the evening and having to pick up for other people complacency

Advice to Management

My manager was okay, helped me when it was seen I was amazing at what I do. Just keep encouraging employees to work in a environment they feel comfortable in.

"Love/Hate relationship with this company"

Former Employee - Senior Vendor Manager in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good brand to have on CV
    -Working with really smart people in every department
    -Interesting projects to work on al the time
    -Quick decision making and pace to work
    -Customers treated incredibly well

Cons

-Bruising culture - One of the Amazon leadership principles is "vocally self critical". In a scorecard if a person does 9 things out of 10 well they will be expected to talk about their failure. Whilst this drives focus, it is tiring/sapping and demoralising. Success is not celebrated. If you are doing 5 things out of 10 well expect to feel pain. As such bullying tactics are common place as senior leaders are expected to demonstrate "backbone"
    -Work life balance is zero - Amazon is a 24 hour a day 7- days a week business business so you will find it hard not to do the same
    -Admin - In addition to fantastic strategic projects expect a large amount of your work to be inane admin which could easily be automated - outsourced. Amazon does buy software tools, rather it develops its own. Some are good but most are clunky at best so expect to need to pick up the slack.
    -Promotions - The bar for promotions is incredibly high. Expect it to take 3 years of working weekends, unless you have friends in the right places

Advice to prospective employees - If you are lucky enough to be offered roles by some of the big tech companies, choose Amazon last. If you are offered a role by Amazon, take it, go in with your eyes open. Make sure you get what you want and be ready to have a plan B up your sleeve. In my department of 150 average tenure was 13 months

Advice to Management

There are 14 leadership principles, half of one focusses on people (Hire and Develop the best). Turnover is high and employee engagement is low. As a result you pay above market rates for over qulaified people to do admin! Increase productivity and proitability by creating a culture where success is recognised and rewarded

"Amazon is not what you would imagine"

Former Contractor - Online Content Marketing Manager in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Amazon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Has some of the best perks and benefits in any company, the salary is really up there
    - People are nice and helpful, as long as you don't waste their time
    - The whole company revolves around facts and stats!

Cons

- The culture is absolutely uninspiring, being simply played back at you at every step of the way
    - Slough and the whole Slough office is in terrible shape and is a poor location for entertainment
    - Is extremely bureaucratic sometimes

Advice to Management

- Split the company between Retail and Tech/Media, change the culture of the Tech/Media side of things

""You think your manager is too unfriendly? Well maybe then you need to change your expectations" - Amazon HR"

Current Employee - Brand Specialist in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having Amazon on your CV is quite helpful when it comes to finding a new job

Cons

No onboarding process
    No training - at all!
    Colleagues get angry when you ask them for help
    Very macho work culture that is all about pretending to be busy and knowing everything

Advice to Management

Try to focus less on your "leadership principles" and maybe start encouraging your employees to work together instead of against each other.

9. "SVS"

Current Employee - SVS in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)
    Current Employee - SVS in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, expanding company, entrepreneurial company. Best company i've worked for

Cons

Never stops--- but that's also part of the fun

"Employees are customers too Jeff"

Current Employee - Product Manager III in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very strong brand name, Amazon continues to innovate and its exciting to be part of a business that continues to grow quickly, and to be reinvesting in the business and releasing new products. I can honestly say that I have worked with the smartest people in my career at Amazon, which encourages me to raise my game. Strong leadership principles that provide clarity on how to get things done in the business.

Cons

A word of warning if you are a parent or have obligations away from the work place that you need/would like to also find time for. Amazon expects your full commitment- there are many reviews on here of people calling out appalling work/life balance- so pay heed to these. There have been so many instances I have seen of employees on sick leave through stress and anxiety, with little attention paid to why and to integrate these back into the business or provide the appropriate support. Amazon is a burn out mill that requires your full focus, so perfect for those who need validation in their lives from a work perspective, but awful for those who don't. Very frugal environment with extremely lean teams- pretty typical for most individuals to be doing 2 roles at once. Business continues to grow but is an increasing concern that any revenues achieved through growth don't seem to feed back to the employee.

Senior management attitude is to focus on things that go wrong- never any call outs for what has gone well. Depressing attitude to take in a business that demands so much from employees. Amazon gets data, doesn't get people or how to encourage a positive collegiate culture. Lots of new naive MBA's that the business can suck dry. Very high turnover of staff- people leave/disappear and are never heard of again.

The only people I would recommend Amazon to are those who are willing to completely throw themselves 100% into their career for a few years to get experience and the name on their CV- even then you need to be very careful about what you take on board- the business will suck the life out of you if you let it.

Advice to Management

Recognize that all employees are also customers. If the business is customer obsessed- it should also be employee obsessed. Think about what you are building from an employment perspective- what responsibility you have to the 1000's of staff who are working themselves to the bone to make you a success.

Showing 41 of 25,813 reviews