Amazon Software Development Engineer I Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeff Bezos
  1. Love it!

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

The people I work with are incredible. There's not really a tech bro culture here. Everyone is respectful and humble. There is a big emphasis on getting people promoted.

Cons

Not as many perks (free food, etc.) as at other large tech companies.

Thanks for a job doing nothing I want

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Strong business. Decent benefits. World-class technical infrastructure. Orca pass (Seattle).

Cons

Bureaucracy deeply steeped in most processes. Corporate hierarchy and general detachment of recruiting and management from employees.

Advice to Management

Take more time to invest in on-boarding employees and matching new hires into roles of interest and assessing team fit.

3. Amazing work space. great weather in seattle,good company culture

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company culture. Beautiful work space. 401K great match. Manager is very friendly to employee, promising product in Alexa and AWS

Cons

No free lunch. However I don't think the free meal in Google is delicious. I could not come up with other cons. Pretty good compared with my previous employer.

Fast paced, Smart people, Continuous learning

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Smart people Never a day when I don’t learn something new Opportunities to work for some of the game changing teams Your work would have a great impact Encourages to Fail and learn Machine learning university Exciting and challenging work

Cons

Perks could improve overall The headquarters area in Seattle is getting very expensive. Sometimes tends to under hire new folks

High Pressure, High Reward

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Amazon is incredibly frugal. Teams have very minimal resources and yet own significant pieces of functionality. My team, in particular, owns a significant feature within the mobile application that millions of customers interact with every day. Because of that, I’ve had the chance to deliver products of significant complexity and high visibility. Amazon is also a very flat organization in which you own your own career...

Cons

On-call and Operations rotations can be pretty stressful. My team owns a Tier 1 service that is responsible for a rather large potion of Amazon’s business and we are completely responsible for the upkeep as operations of this service, meaning that someone from my two-pizza team must always be on-call for this service. There is always a lot of work to be done. It can be kind of overwhelming at times.

Quite nice, depending on location

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer I

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, great atmosphere, always learning new things.

Cons

No down-time, lots of meetings, NEED to seek help if lost as it will not come to you.

SOFTWARE DEVELOPMEMT ENGINEER I

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Great opportunities to learn and grow working with the smartest people. People care about what they work on.

Cons

A lot can depend on your manager, but you are free to switch teams even immediately after starting if you don't agree with the principles of how the team operates.

Advice to Management

Simplify the promotion process for all levels. The first step is clearer now but some of the best I've worked with go unrecognized for what seems to be no reason against weaker candidates.

Overwhelming but fun; ladder-climbers beware

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Caveat emptor: Teams are pretty siloed here, which preserves some freedom and small-company feel while also making culture vary dramatically from team to team. I've heard of folks who made out worse than me, they ended up in that New York Times article. Your Mileage May Vary. That said, here's the good stuff: Fast pace, near continuous deployment, hard problems. Smart, fun coworkers who have become true friends....

Cons

Top-down management style. Developers don't have much control over which problems they solve once they join a team, though they have lots of freedom in designing solutions. Promotions are opaque and often frustrating, though they're currently introducing new policies to try changing that. If your goal is to get promoted quickly, this is not the place to be. Gender ratio heavily male. Lots of old decrepit internal tooling,...

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to make promotions more transparent and predictable. Find a better solution to internal documentation. Bring in more female developers. Find management mechanisms to prevent those NYT horror stories from happening. Give developers more insight and ownership of which tasks they end up working on.

Software Development Engineer

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than a year

Pros

The salary is beyond great, computers and development tools are amazing. Love the company.

Cons

Wish we had better offices and free food. Amazon claims frugality is the way to go but Microsoft and Google employees enjoy much better perks.

Advice to Management

Management is very supportive (but depends on the team). I have heard that the AWS teams are under a lot of stress.

Great place to learn, hard place to work

I have been working at Amazon full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

As an engineer, if you put the work in, you will learn a lot really fast, and grow quickly. Having Amazon on your resume also opens many doors.

Cons

When they say Deliver Results they mean it, its good to deliver, but have an off week, or even day, and miss a possibly already unrealistic deadline by a small amount, and you will be hearing about it. Sometimes feels like they expect engineers to be robots, not people with everyday life and stresses, and that you have to be able to crank it out every day.

Advice to Management

Engineers are human beings, not robots, if you look at the overall yearly performance of an engineer, and their reviews are 80% positive, and their work was generally delivered well with high standards 80% of the time, that's a good engineer. Engineering is hard work. Stop holding people back from promotions or penalizing them because they didn't do it 100% of the time.

Found 246 reviews