Amazon Software Development Engineer Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2438 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 507 reviews)

1. "Great place to develop as an intern"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Learned a lot on a really good team, was never worked too hard.

Cons

The team is fairly quiet, not a ton of energy in the office.

Advice to Management

Keep being servant leaders, you have a lot of intelligent people working for you.

2. "Worthwhile Internship"

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The engineers I had the opportunity to work with were talented and very helpful throughout the entire experience.

Cons

Relatively few benefits compared to other tech companies of similar size in the area (Microsoft etc.)

3. "Software Developer Engineering Intern"

Former Employee - Software Developer Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Developer Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

- You will learn a lot in a short amount of time
    - Everyone there is smart and offers diverse perspectives to draw from

Cons

- I personally had to work fairly long hours compared to others
    - Very hit or miss with team culture

4. "Software Development Engineering Intern"

Former Intern - Software Development Engineering Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineering Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting projects, amazing and inspirational coworkers, great benefits

Cons

Not many, just standard cons of working for large company.

Advice to Management

Keep doing you!

5. "Team Dependent"

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

If your org is making a lot of money, it can feel like you are on top of the world. You will have team events, people will be happier, etc.

Cons

If your org is losing money and people are leaving, it can feel like everyone is unhappy and pessimistic.

Advice to Management

The team placement survey is horrendous. They didn't listen to it at all. Multiple people I spoke to talked about how inaccurate their placement was based on what they put.

6. "Wish I hadn't accepted offer"

Current Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Casual dress code

Knowledgeable teammates

Learned a lot quickly

Free bananas from the banana stand

Fantastic pay for an intern

Find out if you get return offer on last day

Public transportation pass provided

Some fun intern events, although a lot of them centered around drinking

Cons

Seattle is an unwelcoming city, especially for Amazon employees. I felt like the locals hated Amazon and will blame all of the city's problems on Amazon. You will be noticed for having an Amazon badge and people will think you are to blame.

Had to stay in hotel (chosen by Amazon) for a few weeks, surrounding area had large homeless population, drug trafficking, and I could hear fighting outside hotel at night.

University housing didn't have air conditioning and got very hot.

Project felt meaningless, they probably never used anything I did for the project.

Downtown location is loud, smells bad (like weed often times), and has large homeless population.

A lot of the tools are internal to Amazon and not applicable outside of Amazon.

High pressure return offer (at least in 2017). They only give you a couple weeks to accept and the likelihood of getting your preferred location and team choice is based on time to accept. Despite a negative internship experience, I accepted because I didn't have time to consider other opportunities and didn't want to be jobless after graduation. I still don't enjoy working at Amazon and recommend people not to accept the internship offer because they will pressure you into accepting the return offer.

City is hard to get around, even with public transportation pass provided by Amazon.

I struggled with depression during my internship and didn't feel like I had any way to get help. Company seems apathetic to well being of employees and likely would not be supportive of employees they knew were struggling with mental health issues.

Advice to Management

Provide more support for interns. You are moving interns from all over the world away from their friends and family to an unfamiliar and unwelcoming city with a lot of problems. Managers and mentors need to make sure that interns are doing okay personally (ask them how they are doing if they look depressed or appear stressed out) and the company needs to provide support to interns going through a stressful transition. The company culture is Darwinian, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be concerned about the mental health of your employees.

7. "Standard Software Company"

Current Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Software Development Engineer Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

good pay, reasonable hours, impactful work

Cons

not as many perks as other companies (no food, for example)

8. "Awesome Internship!"

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, and very fast environment. learned a lot

Cons

hard to ramp up on some of the technologies, lots of wiki reading and design documentation

9. "Great Internship!"

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team members, were patient with me
    Work-life balance was very good for the team I was at

Cons

Not much, but I was really tired of eating Indian food every time for catering.

"Great growth and learning opportunity, but tread carefully"

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Highly effective organization that knows when and where to cut down on bureaucratic crud to maintain speed and flexibility in spite of its enormous size.

You will learn what it's like to work with the best in your field. Amazon is a great place to see what truly strong employees are like if you have not previously been with a company with a similarly high hiring bar.

Very effective at driving employees to constantly improve themselves. Very fulfilling if you have a compatible personality type.

Very impressive and effective internal infrastructure. Huge emphasis on enabling efficiency makes many routine processes quite smooth, and the smart complexity of the internal tooling is a sight to behold.

Very high bar for customer service extends to internal customers. Turnaround time for matters depending on other departments of the company is generally very fast.

Company is a juggernaut and has a very bright future of continued growth. The company's reputation and hiring bar for corporate positions makes it a very solid resume line regardless of your field.

Cons

Past a baseline (but high) level of competency, you are judged on your willingness to bend and put in extra hours instead of any outstanding technical or directly job-related skills you may have. Work-life balance is often OK on paper but the degree of dedication expected out of the office means work never really leaves your mind. Your mileage will vary significantly depending on your team, and finding the better ones requires extensive networking.

Entire culture is oriented around maximizing employee productivity with little genuine regard for long-term well-being. Unapologetically churn and burn - average tenure is less than two years and experienced employees are rare outside of management.

Power politics were apparent at times and everyone is careful with what they say, who their friends are, and being aware of who holds a personal stake in what.

Most coworkers were not particularly technically savvy or interested in technical subjects -- the work in many parts of the organization is not technologically cutting edge and instead demands a much greater ability to be operationally efficient and manage many competing tasks and priorities. However, I have heard the AWS org is different in this regard.

Compensation is lower and benefits far fewer than companies with comparable hiring bars (all food and drinks are full price, etc). Not any worse than a standard workplace, but disappointing compared to other companies they compete for talent with.

Advice to Management

Amazon has a distinctive reputation as a demanding and prestigious place to work. Shift the working culture and benefits in a direction that improves Amazon's ability to attract and retain talent.