Amazon Software Development Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Jeff Bezos
1,085 Ratings

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2384 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 497 reviews)

1. "Best place to get opportunities to learn new technologies"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* New cloud technologies
    * Opportunity to experiment and design highly scalable systems.
    * Depending on location, pets are allowed
    * Internal training and conferences to grow and explore careers

Cons

* High priority or large issues may disturb work life balance for a day or so.
    * Internal tool experience may not be useful outside amazon.

2. "Software Development Engineer"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool product, smart people to work with

Cons

No free food or other compension

3. "Work is valued if you are committed to put in lots of time"

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Growth opportunities: I felt like my work was highly valued and I always was working on something meaningful for the team. This came with the associated stress of extremely high expectations
    Newest technologies: Working with new technologies (eg. Golang) made my work very interesting and exciting throughout my internship.

Cons

Stress + Work/Life balance: Team was not particularly social, working late but with not much interaction. Hard to feel like a part of the team.

Advice to Management

Improve team culture - the particular team I was on did not feel very cohesive and I felt like I did not really have a chance to meet people because of how busy everyone was with work.

4. "Software Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very helpful people, patient, willing to teach. The company moves quickly in so many different directions so there are always new and interesting projects coming up and teams forming.

Cons

Compared to other big tech companies (Google, Facebook, etc.) there aren't nearly as many benefits like free food, as one of the core principles is frugality. The pace is high, which makes it exciting but may stress certain types of people out.

5. "Good"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay and a lot of challenge work

Cons

not sure , maybe work life balance

6. "SDE at Amazon"

Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My skills, network, career and compensation have never stopped growing at Amazon. I’ve achieved great work-life harmony.

Cons

Your manager is 90% of what matters at Amazon. I’ve seen more than one person get completely screwed when a re-org gave them a bad manager. I’ve seen people I look up to driven out of the company, when less than a year before they were given the highest possible rating by a different manager. Amazon does have a system that lets people appeal manager decisions, but it’s sort of a coin toss.

7. "Express way of your career"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Switch team easily, good pay, can learn a lot, a lot of opportunities to get promotion. And my team is amazing.

Cons

Teams are very different, you have to be very careful when you choose the team. Some of them are really good, but you may also disappoint of some other teams.
    Anyway, you can find a team good for you.

8. "So Far So Good!"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm only a few weeks into working at Amazon, so admittedly these are only first impressions. But here are some of things I've seen so far.

1. Incredible recruiting experience - Throughout my entire time recruiting things were communicated very well, there was no guesswork with what to expect, when to expect it. Amazon was completely transparent about what would be coming, and then HELD TO THEIR WORD. I can't stress enough how refreshing it was to actually experience what I was told was coming. It really felt like my recruiters were working for me, not just Amazon. All my interviewers made it into a conversation, not a stressful barrage of questions. And you could tell that each one was engaged and interested, giving insightful responses and follow ups to the things I would say.

2. Relocation was simple. I moved across the country to start my new job, and Amazon hired great vendors to help with the relo and made sure every step of the process was covered. This includes working closely with me when my needs diverged from what their usual plan was, I wasn't ever told something couldn't be done.

3. Management is collaborative. So many companies talk about flat structures and how you don't really have a boss. It's never true. Amazon does a great job of having minimal hierarchy, but acknowledging where that hierarchy exists and ensuring expectations at every level are laid out. Then leveraging the expected skillsets to work in both directions. My management has already been open about expectations but consistently available to ensure I have what is needed. And thats not just with me as a new joiner, it is visible everywhere around me.

4. My work hours are flexible. My team is nice. Everyone is intelligent and hardworking. The IT support (really essential when you're onboarding anywhere I think) is very useful and responds to needs quickly.

Cons

Honestly, my cons are pretty banal. But for the sake of fair comparison here are my thoughts.

1. It took me a couple days to understand all the internal websites. I didn't feel like there was any great home navigation to find all the other internal endpoints that are needed on a daily basis. Thankfully, though, I had some friends already here who compiled a great startup email to point me in the right direction anyways.
    2. Ok, an obvious "Big tech company comparison" would point out that at Google they have in building Gyms, free lunch, and zen gardens. And I actually haven't been to Amazon HQ in seattle so I don't know all the amenities there. But ultimately, a job is a job. When I saw those things in the Google office it felt like gilding rather than something that would actually make me happier at work, but that could be different for other people.
    3. This is my one real con. Amazon doesn't do yearly bonuses, and gives out RSUs instead, which vest on a 4 year schedule that is heavily weighted to the tail end of that time. So you are always leaving money on the table when you leave. Mind you, having equity at Amazon is a really good thing, so at least right now, seems worth the wait.

9. "Software Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of room for growth, Great mentors, Full stack projects

Cons

Very fast paced, not a ton of benefits other than normal health care.

10. "Upward move for my career"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing work (comiXology)
    Awesome Work Location (Times Square NYC)
    High Base Salary
    Large Signing Bonus Year 1
    Large Signing Bonus Year 2
    RSU's of Amazon
    401K Matching

Cons

You need to adapt to the Amazon way and throw away a lot of conventional wisdom, which feels a bit abnormal at first
    401k takes 3 years to vest

Advice to Management

Thus far things seem to be managed very well at Amazon