Amazon Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2293 reviews)

• "No work life - personal life balance" (in 472 reviews)

1. "Best Job I've Ever Had!"

Current Employee - Non-Inventory Specialist in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Non-Inventory Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of room for advancement for anyone who is willing to work for what they want.

Cons

Can become monotonous if morale falls low.

Advice to Management

Learn as much as you can about your employees. It will help boost their spirits knowing that their manager wants to learn more about their AA's.

2. "Learning Trainer"

Current Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Union City, GA
    Current Employee - Learning and Development Specialist in Union City, GA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, decent pay, convience in travel

Cons

Bad communication, unfair treatment, lack of respect between management and staff

Advice to Management

Create more of an atmosphere where an employee can be respected

3. "MARKETPLACE"

Current Employee - Collections Specialist in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Collections Specialist in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

$2,000 in Amazon Visa Gift Cards in your account every day

Cons

Sometime the Gift Cards are shipped to your home

Advice to Management

Add 9999 usdollar deposit to all accounts receivable

4. "Yard Specialist"

Current Employee - Yard Specialist in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Yard Specialist in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

100.00 Discount, that is it
    2 Shares of stock for full time employees, can't cash them in for 2 years (I think its 2, it might be 1)
    Decent health insurance, not good dental, never used vision
    Low Pay and they expect the world out of you.
    Fuss about overtime to much.

About the best thing with Amazon is after 1 year they will pay for 95% of your education. Which is rarely took advantage of

Cons

Not enough opportunity. They are more likely to give a promotion to an outsider rather than someone within the company

Advice to Management

Promote from within and maybe your employees will stay with you.

5. "EHS Specialist"

Current Employee - EHS Specialist
    Current Employee - EHS Specialist

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun exciting, top of line technology innovating the industry in every single department.

Cons

work hard! part of the Amazon motto

Advice to Management

develop internally & be respectful to all. Don't "fake it till you make it" if you are young and or inexperienced. Own both your successes and your failures to improve yourself and the company.

"Investigation Specialist"

Former Employee - Investigations Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Investigations Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-First two weeks of training provided great experiences into the fraud department or TRMS deparment at Amazon. It gets you pumped up about catching fraudulent activities and protecting AWS customers.
    -Team members are always willing to help and teach you better ways of going about your work
    -A lot of data analysis and data mining to draw a conculsion. Can be hard to pick up in the beginning, but after 6 months, you should be a pro.
    -Learning to deal with customers as well as financial institutions

Cons

-The work is not for everyone. It is extremely repetitive in the sense that you are receiving accounts to review everyday. This can be upwards of 150 - 200 accounts per day.

-Metric is insane. As one of the mantras at Amazon is constantly raising the bar by hiring smarter people, well they constantly raise the bar of metrics as well. From initially 13-15 accounts per hour, they raised it to roughly 16-18 accounts per hour when I left. To give some perspective, if 1 single account takes you 15 minutes to resolve, you're already screwed. Sometimes, it may even take 30 minutes if you're dealing with some nasty situation. If you can't keep up with the pace, management comes down on you.

-When i left, they implemented a call center system which tracks every single second and minute of what you do. They tracked when you go to the bathroom, when you take your breaks, and when you take your lunch. You have to record your time. One of the more ridiculous "metrics" they measure to view how productive we are as employees. I completely understand that at some point, you have to measure not only effectiveness of the employee but also the work they do, but when this system rolled out, let's just say it added some unnecessary pressure on top of metrics.

-Management only cares about promoting themselves and what they can squeeze out of the employees, hence if the metrics is above and beyond, that means management is doing a good job, not you.

-This role is a level 3 which opportunities to role into a level 4 senior investigation specialist. Now if you happen to decide that you want to apply for level 4 roles in the department, you have jump through multiple loops and get signature from managers and directors. They make the process of growing your career as hard as possible because they don't want you to leave a level 3 role. You can jump to other level 3 roles if you want to but you have to look around. If you want to jump outside of the department for other level 4 roles, other managers may not be as receptive even if you've reached out to them because you're a level 3. I had only 1 manager respond to me and she was a level 6. The job growth process at Amazon is a bit broken.

Advice to Management

Provide a career and not a grind. Provide opportunities and projects that can help employees grow instead of burning them out. I can't say for future managers in the department, but the way I was treated left a permanent scar.

7. "A company where smart people get things done"

Current Employee - Brand Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Brand Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great systems, smart co-workers, great pay

Cons

Could use more perks (snacks, fun)

8. "Working for the roller coaster that is Amazon."

Current Employee - EHS Specialist in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - EHS Specialist in Irving, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the constant challenges and their inability to stay satisfied with the status quo. We constantly strive to be the best at what we do.

Cons

Most of the time, the work is tedious and it feels that too much time is spent trying to split hairs. Internal promotion candidates are often offered way less financial benefits than that of externals. They keep people down by making them chase the carrot rather than rewarding them for hard work.

Advice to Management

Recognize and reward your internal talent. Just because you already have us, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t appreciate our value. Goals for advancement should be more clear. For example: If top performers are classified by the network level impact they have, that information needs to be shared upfront and not during annual review time. Someone who excels in their work should feel appreciated and be given opportunity to take on more responsibility and also be fairly compensated for it.

9. "Depends on management"

Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Lenexa, KS
    Former Employee - Logistics Specialist in Lenexa, KS

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Endless opportunities in all sorts of fields. Rapidly growing company with no signs of slowing down. Taking over the world.

Cons

Depending on what site you work at, management can be fickle. Certain sites, managers really care about your growth, other sites will leave you in the dust the moment they can. Unfortunately, I was at the latter.

Advice to Management

Don't tell people they have all the potential in the world and not develop them into that potential.

"Great job and team"

Current Employee - Creative Content Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Creative Content Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love my job and I love that I'm encouraged to pursue my ideas and projects that interest me. There's no end to the possibilities at Amazon.

Cons

Lot's of people want to climb the ladder and it can be very intense. Though not in our group, Amazon has a reputation for expecting employees to put job over personal life. This can also be seasonally dependent.

Advice to Management

Encourage career development