Amazon Specialist Reviews | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2397 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 500 reviews)

1. "A great place to work"

Former Employee - Transportation Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Transportation Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, friendly atmosphere, Lots of room for advancement

Cons

Only a 30min lunch and a long drive from where I live

2. "From the New Kid"

Current Employee - FBA Investigation Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - FBA Investigation Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full Time, Work From Home
    Comprehensive Benefits
    Reasonable Hours of Operation to choose your shift in.

Cons

Repetitive Ticket Work
    Numbers Oriented Puzzles to solve

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome.

3. "EHS Specialist"

Current Employee - EHS Specialist in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - EHS Specialist in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Safety Culture, Leadership, Management, Work days

Cons

Hard to advance within the company

4. "Building the Car While Driving It"

Current Employee - Human Resources Program Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Program Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am surrounded by smart people, truly. And the tag line of customer obsession isn't just spin, like 'make sure we make money so we can keep prices down as a secondary benefit to our profits,' as I've experienced at other companies. We actually do work backwards from the customer and move ~mountains to try and make things happen for the customer benefit.

Cons

We really are building the car as we're driving it, and that can be very, very frustrating when everything seems to go wrong simultaneously...

Advice to Management

Don't launch something when a LARGE change is made the last afternoon of testing.

"Amazon it’s hard work but worth it!"

Current Employee - Transportation Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Transportation Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    If identifying data trends is your talent then this is your place to be.
    Everyday is ‘Day one’ can be good or cumbersome it depends
    Your input as a employee is valuable
    Work life balance

Amazon has been that company I have admired the FC ‘make it happen’ teams.
    And I am apart of a company with great people.
    I love it here! Amazon truly invest and value their employees and it does matter if you’re super smart (which there’s a lot of them here, lol) or just a consistent hard worker.
    As a Amazonian your input is valued!
    Because it’s the coolest company on the planet! Keep up the good work Amazonians and let’s keep pushing the bar of excellence! #makinghistorywhilehavingfun!

Cons

Day one the cumbersome side. Workload constantly changing. So be prepared to work hard and efficiently.

Advice to Management

Work on bridging the communication gap and provide concrete metrics on teams overall performance (this is easier said than done) but it’s important for team members to identify what is required.

6. "EHS Specialist"

Current Employee - EHS Specialist
    Current Employee - EHS Specialist

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Assist Operations Leaders and associates on Safety
    -Improvement opportunities and turn-over rate is low

Cons

-Must be motivated and active in the field to improve

7. "There is not a single company in the world that I would rather work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Learning and Talent Development Specialist in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Amazon corporate culture/values are the best in the world. We obsess over customers. Some companies claim to care about customers, but from my experience working in retail management for other companies what they do does not even come close to what Amazon does.

We pioneer, innovate, and value the opinions of employees and customers at all levels . We truly listen to both customers and employees. I have personally worked on many initiatives to put Associate feedback into action. Some of the best ideas come from our front line employees. We listen to their feedback about barriers they face and improvements that can be made to make their job easier or better and we take action to improve those things quickly! This includes anything from adding more food options in the breakroom to making multi-million dollar investments into new technology, equipment, process improvements, etc.

The career opportunities are virtually limitless. While I was a leader in Operations within the Fulfillment Centers I personally reviewed resumes, helped with interview prep, provided opportunities for Associates to take on new and challenging roles, and personally promoted over 30 well deserving Associates from front line employees into Management positions in a span of only about 2-3 years.

Within my own career I have had an opportunity to run a department/area within a Fulfillment Center as an Area Manager where I was able to directly support, train, and mentor a large team of Associates.

I was then able to transition into an ACES Continuous Improvement Manager role where I received expert level training, development, and experience on Lean Six Sigma process improvement strategies equivalent to that of a Black Belt.

I got promoted into a Operations Manager role where I was managing other Operations Area Managers and leading a very large team of Associates in a Fulfillment Center.

I was even able to participate in an innovative new rotational program where my only job was to listen to the needs of both Associates and Managers and ensure that their feedback for improvements got put into action as quickly as possible. We call this Voices in Action. This included anything from adding better flavors of creamer for the free coffee, to adding more fans for better airflow in specific hot spots in the FC, to providing career skills training to Associates wanting to promote and grow in their careers, to providing mentorship and development training to new managers still learning how to be great leaders. The fact that Amazon would invest so much into supporting its employees speaks volumes to the culture of the company and that they are not just talking the talk they are walking the walk.

Through my experiences within Operations I wanted to make a bigger impact on the way the we onboard, train, and continuously develop employees at all levels of the organization. So I was able to transfer into a new role where I am now a part of the North American Learning and Talent Development Team that continues relentlessly to improve every aspect of how we setup new and existing Amazonians for success in their career. I am empowered and encouraged to try new ideas, solve problems, collaborate with other teams, innovate on behalf of both internal and external customers and I love what I do!

I also get the opportunity to work with some of the most intelligent, talented, and motivated people on the planet with a huge amount of diversity, which just further adds to the quality of work that we do as a team and how well we are able to serve our customers and fellow Amazonians.

I even helped a member of my family get a job here through a job recommendation because I knew he would love it too!

Cons

We provide stock to all Amazon employees at all job levels. The stock was somewhere around $340 a share when I joined about 4 years ago. Now it is almost $2,000 a share and just keeps going up! The only hard thing about that is not know when or if you should ever sell it. Amazon wants all of its employees to feel personally invested in the success of the company and they do this by making everyone an Owner both figuratively and literally with stock. It feels great to know that the value we add to the company through our everyday work also gets rewarded through out ownership in Amazon stock.

Advice to Management

If you ever find yourself in a role that does not feel like the right long-term fit you can always look for other opportunities within Amazon through internal transfers. I know a lot of people that have very successfully made changes in their career path from Operations, to HR, or Continuous Improvement, or Learning/Training and Development, or Finance, or Safety, or Maintenance Engineering, etc. The opportunities at Amazon to continue to grow, learn new skills, and explore new opportunities are very common, and the options are virtually limitless.

8. "Logistics Specialist"

Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Logistics Specialist in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great sense of team. Relaxed atmosphere. A real sense of accomplishment as docks clear at end of dispatch.

Cons

Changes happen fast and communication doesn't always keep up. Also you have to switch between multiple tasks on a timetable outside your control.

Advice to Management

Have more of a dialogue regarding changes, seek to include people at the ground level in discussions regarding work processes.

9. "Works as an associate in the yard for the trucks at amazon"

Current Employee - Yard Specialist in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Yard Specialist in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Doesn’t deal with operations, less stressful.

Cons

Inclement weather doesn’t matter, you still have to get the job done regardless if it’s snowing or raining.

"Investigations Specialist"

Former Employee - Investigations Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Investigations Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Globally Recognized
    - Decent Insurance

Cons

Dated processes and tools....Seriously. You'd think a trillion dollar company would do better. Expect low pay and frequent turnover; understandably. Expect to endure boot camp like training your first couple weeks with a wild amount of information to digest (they want the most out of you before you quit). Expect to work with more-than-necessary "tools" because Amazon won't fix their OWN (There's that good ole "Frugality" you'll find out about). Expect a slooow amount of accrual for time off, because they don't want to you to take any. Expect constant change, because making processes easier and more efficient just doesn't seem like the logical thing to do (sarcasm). Expect to be micromanaged, because they want every last drop of your time and energy to save them money! Expect to be treated like a number, because you really are. Lastly, expect to be disappointed. You've been warned.

Advice to Management

If you aren't lifting the burdens, you're likely adding to them. Thanks!