Amazon Reviews in Sterling, VA | Glassdoor

4.0
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Get chance to learn a lot while working on a real world problem (in 425 reviews)

• It really depends on the individual employees to maintain the work-life balance (in 339 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not easy to maintain (in 1970 reviews)

• There is nearly no work life balance (in 422 reviews)

1. "Very grateful to have found Amazon Web Services"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Out of every ten employees I have to work with 7-9 of them are brilliant in their own right (former Startup CEOs, rocket scientists from NASA, scholars, former pro athletes, academia stars, etc). I've been drinking from the firehose for three years and counting and honestly don't see that slowing down. If you like to learn and really want to propel yourself in your career and industry, coming to a company like Amazon (or google facebook, or MS, really any of the top tech companies.,..) is a GREAT career move. I honestly don't see how i'd go back to a middle of the pack company again....so many people leave here at middle level positions, and go on to be higher level directors at middle of the pack companies. Its like the difference between playing at a D2/D3 college and going Division 1.

Compared to other companies in the Washington DC area, the pay is better and/or on par. Because of the stock that you get in addition to the salary, most of us are faring much better than any other position that you'd have around here in a comparable org/role.

Amazon's way more progressive than most DC area companies - dressing up is frowned upon, people have tattoos/pink hair/etc,...basically come as you are within reason. This removes a layer of stress associated with having to get ready for work, that people really don't realize has a great value. We have pretty good benefits too.

You can get hired on and changed roles internally easily. No manager can stop you from transferring. I think this has made managers a bit more nice, as they can lose you easily if they get out of line.

Amazon is pretty progressive when it comes to skills - they don't care as much about certs and degrees as your abilities. I'm on a team where I'm the only degreed individual, and yet, i do believe that one person, is probably top ten experts in their field in the world, and another person to be exceptional in their skillset as well. The third person has over 30 years of experience and they literally begged them not to retire. That said, we also have many phDs and exceptional academics here,..but the key takeaway is be exceptional at making and/or doing. Alphabet soup credentials are not impressive here. Curing cancer is.

So many internal programs to develop technical skills and change career paths. You can come here as an hourly employee and eventually train your way into engineering if you do the work.

Cons

The pace is incredible,...some teams not as bad as others, but that can wear on you, especially if you're a yes person and don't have the strategic thinking to say yes to the right things, and no to most things. People do burn out here. We have a term for people who leave due to burn out (generally) and then come back - boomerangs.

Amazon teeters the line between frugal and frupid (another term used internally). Often have to work with not enough or no money, and understaffed. I imagine how amazing some of our projects would have been, had we had an extra set of hands or some money to work with and not hacking together solutions.

Amazon attracts a lot of Type A personalities. I thought I was one until i got here...then i realized i'm not.

There are the typical problems here too - some people are jerks, politics, drama. Out of five companies I've worked for between internships and full time employment, this has been the best environment though.

Advice to Management

Lets get a bit more progressive with leadership. Just because someone works in a field for 15 years, doesn't mean they are automatically ready to manage people. Lets get better at recognizing that people management, leadership, and expertise are not conflatable skills or terms.

We need a more formal and intense manager development program. Other companies do this. The data shows that people quit their managers not their company - use this as a catalyst to develop better people developers, which is what a manager should be.

2. "Field Engineer"

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work! Colleagues are very nice, managers care a lot about us and encourage us to take trainings to develop ourselves.

Cons

Workload can be high sometimes, and need to work under pressure.

3. "Data Center Tech"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Sterling, VA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Sterling, VA

I worked at Amazon as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

great team environment. enough work to keep you busy so you're not clock watching. decent pay.

Cons

i enjoyed my overall experience at amazon

Advice to Management

hire better quality techs

4. "Great Benefits but you earn them working here"

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great for medical and dental. Stock is enjoyable if you're offered them with each review. Flex hours and sometimes free food. Mentoring opportunities. Used to have employee discount on Amazon.com.

Cons

Its all about who you know here. Promotions are ridged for whom you know that can get you there. There are large workloads and not enough equal team involvement. Not as diverse as I'd like to see and not many workers of color in management positions. Many people have been in the same role for years with out hope of promotion in the near or ever future.

Advice to Management

Do not lie or embellish to employees on promotions or lead roles. Listen to and care for employees to help them when they are dissatisfied in their role. Allow them to transfer from role instead of hindering them forcing them to leave the company. Do not have favoritism to team members. Treat everyone equal. Support employee transfers and knowledge growth. Develop your people and hold them back.

5. "Very good job"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Dynamic. Very responsible, fast pace environment

Cons

10 hours shift, no air conditioner makes hot environment in summer

"Fast paced, sink or swim environment"

Current Employee - Engineering Operations Technician in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Engineering Operations Technician in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Never the same "grind", every day brings new challenges and opportunities to provide solutions. The work itself is incredibly enjoyable if you are into operations and problem solving. The pay is good especially for the work required. The schedule is unbeatable, half the year off if you don't want to work overtime.

Cons

Senior management is detached from conditions on the ground. Most managers have little to no experience in operations and therefore don't know what is required day to day for the worker actually doing the things necessary to keep the business going. No operations experience also means decisions made for policies, new builds, new work or anything related to the actual job are not always good decisions.

Advice to Management

Promote current building operations managers and seasoned operators rather than hiring outside "talent" for high level decision makers affecting day to day operations and ultimately the future of this company.

"EOT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

3 days off/4 days off. every other week, good health benefits, room to grow.granted Stock options

Cons

Hard to get extra time off, almost like working for govt. new policies and procedures every week, some useless. Always felt threatened about losing job if you messed up! Watch out for others trying to get ahead..Stock takes 4 years to fully vest.

Advice to Management

Support your employees, "Have Fun" like the slogan says!

8. "Process Assistant"

Current Employee - Process Assistant in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Process Assistant in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Amazon (More than 8 years)

Pros

Really smart people, a lot of opportunity for growth, always encouraged to be innovative, think big, and create something new.

Cons

It can be challenging sometimes figuring out where or how to get information needed for a project

Advice to Management

It's great to work at a place that highly values customer experience, so please keep that up.

"Rethink before signing up"

Current Employee - Facility Manager in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Facility Manager in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Amazon (More than a year)

Pros

was given opportunity to invent and make changes

Cons

back stabbers and glory seekers will surround you, local management needs more technical background

Advice to Management

VA needs Seattle's help

Showing 9 of 19,274 reviews