Amazon Reviews in Tampa, FL | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2287 reviews)

• "No work life - personal life balance" (in 472 reviews)

1. "Love working here"

Current Employee - Customer Service Team Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Team Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible, work from home leadership position. Lots of communication and ability to engage. Wonderful culture and can do attitudes.

Cons

Difficult to advance, more people that are eligible for advancement than there are open positions. Roadblocks to the next level are abundant. Once one is overcome a new one is identified. Creates bad morale - stagnant performance when movement is desired, and there is no place to go.

Advice to Management

Continue to motivate and develop. Identify other roles that may also be good fits for leaders that could help drive development and career advancement.

2. "It’s okay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lucky if you have cool coworkers to pass the time

Cons

Not enough money for what you have to do physically

3. "The Perfect Home"

Current Employee - CSA - Customer Service Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - CSA - Customer Service Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm a mother of 3 boys so my schedule is kinda hectic. But Amazon allows a flexible work schedule so I can make sure I am always available for my children.
    Amazon is my home away from home. If I'm not "Home with my children", I'm "Home with Amazon". I love the fun and interactive ways to help people whether its helping them find the perfect dress for that special night out, or helping someone who doesn't know how to shop online place their first order. Every day is a learning experience and I LOVE that!

Cons

You must have patience and people skills.

Advice to Management

A smile will always shine through, even on the phone. If you can't tell their smiling, then clouds are in their way!

"Depends on what you do..."

Current Employee - Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love my co-workers. I work at a distribution center and the people I work with are great. The benefits are decent even as a tier 1 employee.

Cons

Favoritism is the driving force for advancement in the company. Management turnover is also very high. I have worked here for about 8 months and have had 4 managers on my team. 10 and a half hour days on your feet are exhausting so by the end of the week you're very tired.

Advice to Management

Don't play favorites.

5. "Packing,Data"

Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Data Entry Clerk in Tampa, FL

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Skill window Excel,Words,PowerPoint and Handlers,Forflift

Cons

I never see those :Cons" before

Advice to Management

Best

6. "Amazon"

Current Employee - IT Support Technician in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - IT Support Technician in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

World wide opportunities if you are willing to evolve.

Cons

Salary is really low. Vacation and PTO are also low.

7. "Area Manager"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really smart people, a lot of opportunity for growth, always encouraged to be innovative, think big, and create something new. Competitive salary and benefits with other major tech companies. 100% self motivating work environment. No dress code and 4 legged friends are welcome

Cons

You have to be self motivated. NO ONE will hold your hand and tell you that you're doing a great job. If you need constant affirmations from management, this company isn't for you.

Advice to Management

More on-boarding training before new employees are thrown in the fire. The first couple of weeks can be very confusing on where to find the information you need that pertains to your job.

8. "Area manager"

Former Employee - Area Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits, stock options, career advancement, innovation, ability to change your processes, located throughout the country and ability to relocate if you desire

Cons

Company is very political and the politics change in every building. The company owns you during the months of November and December. Don’t expect to do anything but eat sleep and work.

9. "Amazon Fellowship"

Current Intern - Operations Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Intern - Operations Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity, and potential growth

Cons

Very rapid learning curve

Advice to Management

Prepare, study leadership

"Lack of Trainng"

Former Employee - Work From Home Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Work From Home Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home. Equipment is provided. Supportive manager. Friendly & positive team environment.

Cons

Sink-or-Swim style of training New Hires. Training is not realistic. Does not prepare trainee for live phone calls. After two weeks of watching slides and videos remotely from home, trainee goes live with customers. Easy enough to take calls, but obtaining information to address the myriad of situations arising in calls is impossible. While customer is on-hold, trainee is expected to navigate to an online "Knowledge Center" ("KC") which is essentially a bunch of encyclopedic paragraphs in very, very small fine-print. These are not specific enough for the trainee to know exactly what step to take to assist the customer. There is much pressure to handle the call quickly, which makes sense, but is difficult if trainee does not know what to do. There is no one or no where to reach out for help. Inquiries for assistance from trainers result in the response, "look it up in the KC". Sink-or-Swim environment. Computer provided causes eyestrain due to the tiny print which cannot be enlarged or adjusted, and harsh on-screen lighting. Instructions and guidelines cannot be printed out, hence trainee must rely upon memory and hand-written notes while working. Manager is supportive but hands tied by their own chain-of-command. Manager's bosses clandestinely monitor trainee's calls and then complain to manager about the trainee's shortcomings. Manager then has to counsel trainee about performance defects. Overall a stressful, uncomfortable way to spend an 8-12 hour shift at home.

Advice to Management

Provide trainee with more accessible, specific information to take customer calls. Instructions should be printable so employee does not have to reply upon notes and memory. Provided computer needs to have more modern features: Zoom options, better lighting to avoid eyestrain. Get away from the "Sink-or-Swim" style of training the new hires.

Showing 41 of 25,076 reviews