Amazon Reviews in Tempe, AZ | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2287 reviews)

• "No work life - personal life balance" (in 472 reviews)

1. "Tempe's NOC/ROC (AZA1)"

Current Employee - Transportation Analyst in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Transportation Analyst in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits.
    Lots of employee engagement. Lunches, activities, ways to provide positive feedback.
    Regular review cycle and pay increases.
    Lots of opportunities to transfer teams.

Cons

It's hard to figure out where certain issues belong. People come to you for help, but it isn't something you do, and you have no idea where to tell them to go.
    Lots of ambiguity in job scope. Documentation gets outdated quickly.
    It seems to be difficult to promote from L4 Hourly to L4 Salary.
    Every year there is a re-organization that changes which teams report where. It causes some confusion about what direction the cart is being pulled. A re-org caused a hiring freeze, when the positions were still very much needed.

2. "Excellent Company - Be Prepared To WORK Your Behind Off!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fast paced environment - minimal down time. It is "go, go, go!" in an extremely upbeat and team focused environment
    - Site, project, team, and personal goals and metrics are clearly explained what they are, how to achieve them, and how what areas we can work on to reach (and more often than not over achieve) those goals.
    - Performance reviews are on a weekly to bi-weekly bases to ensure all employees are achieving their personal goals as well as project, site and company goals
    - Management backs employee decisions. I really appreciated the ability to make more than snap decisions and really be able to dig into issues to resolve them without needing management approval. 100% of the time, as long as it wasn't infringing on my ability to do my primary job, management appreciated their employees working with other teams to help improve internal processes.
    - Communication between management, coworkers and other internal teams was some of the best I have personally ever encountered
    - Pay, benefits and schedules are second to none

Cons

- Metrics are focused a bit too much for my taste on the least controllable aspect of employee performance.

Advice to Management

I would only recommend a shift in focus of quality and performance reviews to areas that employees can actually control. Placing such an extreme focus on customer satisfaction surveys is dangerous in my opinion - employees stop following company policies simply to get a positive review as opposed to educating our customers why the policy is in place, how it helps them in the long run

3. "Amazing company"

Current Employee - Lead Analyst in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Lead Analyst in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They take care of you. They do a lot for their employees. Plenty of opportunity to grow with the company.

Cons

The only thing I can think of that would be a con for this company is that if you don’t like to work 40 hrs then it won’t be good for you.

4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Lead Specialist in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Lead Specialist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited Growth potential and an incredible culture in a corporate office

Cons

High stress and you never feel like you can get to everything that needs to be done

"Training Not a Strong Suit for Amazon"

Former Employee - Production Data Analyst in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Production Data Analyst in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Pros to Amazon are the Benefits that you get first day, VCP ,it's like extra money on your check for the building being productive and also that Entry Level associates can move up in Company (easier if willing to relocate).

Cons

The Cons to Amazon are the training program, the childlike management, the lack of care for associates, and a horrible work life balance. Training was the biggest issue during my time at Amazon. I experienced lack of training at every level (from temp to production data analyst) and would have to just figure it out to do my job effectively. Management is not the most useful when it comes to handling associate concerns. It may be because of the predominately young management that Amazon loves to employ. Turnover is High at Amazon. I am told the reason is because Amazon doesn't really like keeping employees for longer than two years and having to pay benefits out. From the inside looking out...I can see it.

Advice to Management

Management unfortunately also suffers from NOT being properly trained for their roles and are thrown into sink or swim situations all the time. Managers can also be childish and unprofessional. It's true that you can find this everywhere but its centrally located at Amazon, there are a lot of them in the company

6. "Great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get an amazing amount of experience and to work with gifted individuals.

Cons

Work life balance can be stressed occasionally.

7. "National Operations Center (NOC)"

Current Employee - Outbound Transportation in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Outbound Transportation in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great communication on training and great atmosphere in the work place.

Cons

No cons they work with you in all types of situations and help you resolve they do not just tell you do it this way or that way they walk you through the problem

Advice to Management

Keep it up

8. "It's Always Day One!"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Full of opportunities every day. Maniacal customer focus. You have input into the tools and processes to make Amazon better. Great compensation package.

Cons

Due to the rapid and constant state of change, may be difficult for some to get in stride.

Advice to Management

Resist the urge to conform to the way our competitors do business. Day One is why we're in the news every day.

9. "If you work hard you can grow within the company. Also lots of favoritism."

Current Employee - Centralized Flow Lead in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Centralized Flow Lead in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

biggest company in the world. pays well if you get a higher position.

Cons

Amazon treats lower level employees like garbage. there is no moral working in the fulfillment center.

Advice to Management

employees are human not machines.

"Amazon Seller Support Associate"

Current Employee - Seller Support Associate in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Seller Support Associate in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay for call center
    Reasonable hours/shift
    Get two days off in a row
    Lots of opportunity for growth/movement

Hour(unpaid) lunches, great lake view

Cons

High pressure, high expectations, high stress
    Growing pains
    1 minute 30 seconds aftercall work time to compose a fully formatted email to seller after completing every call, annotate case with internal annotation, annotate self-evaluation poll, select category of the issue, select subcategory of issue, select action taken.

4 minutes of personal time a day, or 20 minutes of personal time a week, whichever is less.
    Very difficult to get exception for disability
    Call handling time and case resolve rates are difficult to meet.

Advice to Management

More training for specialized departments
    Try not to micromanage employee bathroom breaks
    Increase after call time, to send quality, personalized, detailed emails to sellers.

Cross-train associates so they are aware what each dept does
    Ease off call handling time, its about how much value we add to the seller in that interaction, not to get them off the phone and send them a sloppy email because we had very little time.

Showing 22 of 25,101 reviews