Amazon Reviews in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2517 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 523 reviews)

1. "My experience at Amazon has been great. One of the top paying software companies in Toronto."

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Chance to work with great people. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Most teams have on-call duties. Lots of churn with teams as people are constantly coming and going.

2. "AWS Enterprise Sales Intern"

Former Employee - Enterprise Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Enterprise Sales in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

- amazing environment and culture amazon truly believes in striving to ensure customer satisfaction and does not only believe in it they live it.
    - great place to start a career
    - great management and staff

Cons

-longer hours
    -hard separation between work and home balance

"Amazon sde2"

Current Employee - SDE2 in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - SDE2 in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stock historically has performed well

Cons

* getting promoted is a frustrating experience
    * Career growth is a priority, but some teams have very few opportunities
    * Some teams oncall is a dumpster fire

Advice to Management

* invest into operations, help shift on call load to devops teams
    * Prioritize assignments based on growth opportunities for developers

4. "Great Profess"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Trainer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Trainer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

Ethic company, lots of perks, and very intense!

Cons

No cons! if you want to spent time in a great company, where a LOT of things happen quite fast, this is the place for you

"Great place to learn, grow, and make a global impact for our customers"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon continuously improve to be more customer obsessed each day. Data and metrics are reviewed on a regular basis to ensure we're focusing on the right things. Better yet, in Fulfillment Technologies, the impact of the work directly affects how packages get delivered to our retail customers. If you want to solve complex problems optimized for world wide scale then this is the place to work.

Cons

Amazon is not for everyone. If you don't want to be challenged, don't want to grow and learn, or afraid of owning software that's used 24/7 and requires high availability and resiliency, then this isn't the place you want to work at. There's no QA or production support to throw your work over the fence, so you eat your own dog food. The better you build your software the more enjoyable your work life will be.

Advice to Management

Provide a clear vision and frequent communication on what's important to senior leadership. Clean up ownership of software that's been inherited over the past years to increase speed of innovation. Continue to review tech survey results (voice of the SDEs) to implement improvements for software teams.

"Great if you are use to warehouse work"

Current Employee - Warehouse in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Warehouse in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

PTO Paid time off can be taken at any moment without notice up to 20 hours per year. Stock match up to $100 per pay. On site "grocery store" (cafeteria reasonable prices apx. $10 for a lunch, sandwich drink chips) 4 10 hours shifts. 3 day weekends. Safety bonus up to $1000 per quarter. Raise every 6 months ($0.50) ever employee makes the same wages (Equality) Very open communication (24hour HR)

Cons

Mandatory OT for Holiday season albiet paid at 1.5 times after 40 hours. You can refuse overtime but if you do You cannot ever work overtime. i.e. take it or leave it Permanently. Breaks are 30mins Inclusive. (if it takes you 5 mins to walk to staff room and 5 mins back to station you would technically only get "20mins"

7. "Work Hard, Have Fun, Make History"

Current Employee - Advertising Sales Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Advertising Sales Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing smart people who are focused on delivering a great experience for our clients and customers. Strong leaders with inspiring vision on direction of the business. It's great to be a company that truly lives by it's Leadership Principles on a daily basis as opposed to others where these are just used to hire and evaluate once a year.

Cons

Single threaded org structure can sometimes result in duplicate or conflicting priorities across teams that need to collaborate.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities/incentives for people to better understand other sides of the business.

"Leadership principles brought to life"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon's Leadership principles are how Amazonians live and breathe everyday -- this gives all Amazon employees a common framework to work against, challenge each other against, and use to drive innovation at scale. I've found Amazon's ability to grant autonomy for its employees to act as owners, collaborating quickly and across teams to make decisions on behalf of its customers an incredibly rewarding and mentally challenging (in a good way) place to work. In particular I've really appreciated the speed at which my role at Amazon has evolved -- I began working on one specific business, within 6 months I was working on launches in new countries, and within 12 months that had continued to expand such that I was leading global strategy and rollout

Cons

Like all large companies, Amazon will take some getting used to in terms of internal complexity.

9. "Receiver"

Former Employee - Receiver in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Receiver in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good management and friendly staff

Cons

There were no cons at amazon

"Amazon killing retailers by the thousands"

Former Employee - Retail in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Retail in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The product is so low priced. So low it's leaving no profit for them, for online competitors and especially bricks and mortar retail stores. Thus killing hundreds of thousands of jobs all over the world in retail. But at least Jeff Bezos is rich. The richest man in the world! Congrats Bezos, how much is enough? And to the detriment of how many jobs, lives and companies. I know quite a few people personally that can say they closed their businesses down directly because of Amazon.

Cons

Yes Amazon is cheap, but you get what you pay for if you want to destroy the economy. Wayfair and Amazon both operate at a ridiculously low profit margin for any business. Looks like 1 to 4% profit... What's wrong with that you ask, "they're not greedy" you might think. They're killing retail stores by the 10,000 thousands per month in the USA alone. They're prices are actually so low that it leaves no possibility to Brick and Mortar retail stores of making any profit or matching prices. As a result, 30,000 people lost their jobs in one month alone in 2017... and over 10,000 businesses closed in ONE MONTH as a direct result of Amazon's price structure that used to hover around 4% profit... That's before Wayfair came around. Wayfair, to gain market on Amazon, has lowered theirs target profit to 1% and even slutting-out product at an even more ravaging rate to online competitors and retailers. Because of Wayfair's ultra aggressive approach and functioning at 0% profit after expenses for over 5 years, they're doing-in furniture stores, decorative item stores and so many more categories. Congrats Wayfair and Amazon for triggering the demise of the economy even more. Soon they're be no retail jobs for kids coming out of school, let alone adults having a hard time finding work now. The joke is... they don't even need to cut into prices that much and what they're not leaving on the table, is a lot of profit for themselves... but you gotta keep the shareholders happy right.

Advice to Management

Raise prices so you don't kill brick and mortar businesses and destroy retail jobs by the hundreds of thousands.

Showing 61 of 28,872 reviews