Amazon Reviews in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Software Development Engineer II"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer-II in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer-II in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Engineers are very smart to work with.

Cons

If you worked for a start-up like company before, you probably need sometime to get used to the lengthy process in software development.

"Something a developer should do once in their life"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Amazon (More than a year)

Pros

Instills practices and attitudes that have been immensely valuable in my career

Cons

Works you to the bone

3. "SDE I"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer I in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of talented ppl to work with

Cons

AWS was too much oncall

4. "Not Recommended for Long Employment"

Current Employee - Service Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Service Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Browsing the website by having everything on it run through your hands!

Cons

Standing an inhumane number of hours (ten!) and extremely short breaks in very faraway break rooms with ever-not-enough microwaves for the people there at the same time!

Advice to Management

We're not cattle, okay? It's us upon whose shoulders this company is built! We deserve a full 100% benefits in every category (not just the 'dental')!!! You keep making cutbacks that only affect our experience of LIVING in your FC for 10 hours STANDING in usually-hot atmosphere (the AC's are never there or are too faraway and practically ineffective)!!! We're your customers too, you know, not just your employees!! Oh, and by the way, we're NOT loyal to you!!! We'll look for the cheaper price all the time because your "employee discount" is a serious JOKE and because you, as a company, is on a mission to keep us POOR and taking advantage of our needs for 'survival jobs' without giving us any real raise (because to you we are just disposables!).

"Software Development Manager"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Amazon we are given the opportunity to own the part of the business we are responsible for and drive it forward in the manner in which we think will drive the best results. You work with amazing people and focus on the biggest challenges in the industry with global scope.

Cons

Leadership is hit and miss with some amazing leaders scattered across the company, and an number of poor leaders in key positions. The great part is, however, that Amazon is huge and movement is encouraged, so you can shop around for the great leaders.

Advice to Management

Invest in leadership training to drive consistency across the organization and ensure those that are promoted from within are not dependent on potentially bad leaders to become successful leaders.

"Area Manager"

Current Employee - Area Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon (Less than a year)

Pros

Huge growth potential, lots of resources and support to help you growth, develop leadership skills, very high hiring bar and surrounded with very talented people

Cons

Long work hours, stressful, competitive

Advice to Management

If you're looking to commit yourself to a job with high growth and learning potential + you are ready to commit to long hours this is the place for you.

7. "Great Learning Environment"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced environment that encourages you to learn as much as you can and supports development. Lots of great people working together as a team and opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Not too many cons fortunately. Amazon is still pretty new to Canada so they are still going through a lot of trial and error to see what works best for the business operations. They operate very lean, which sometimes means they do not have enough staff in place for the task at hand creating long hours and heavier workloads.

Advice to Management

Stronger focus on acknowledging staff efforts to give better gage on how you are doing in your role. There is a high turnover in staff due to the pace, creating staff engagement opportunities to get to know colleagues would create better team collaboration

8. "quick review"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High level of freedom in making decisions about the software on team level.
    Access to a lot of different resources if it's justified.

Cons

Work life balance: All you get is as much as you fight for. Plus you might end up with a lot of on-call load and thus weekend (or middle of night) work on small teams.
    While officially requiring to be upfront with problems, and think critically, in reality managers can get away with anything as long as they deliver on their goals. You better keep this in mind when dealing with them.

9. "Great workplace"

Current Intern - Software Development Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Intern - Software Development Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The Toronto office is located right at the heart of the city. Very convenient to get to.
    The project assigned to intern was also very interesting and meaningful to the team.
    Learned a lot about working in a professional environment, and how to code properly.

Cons

The base salary for interns in Canada is $1000 - 2000 lower than the ones in US.

10. "Far too many meetings, and too little senior engineering leadership"

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer I Intern in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer I Intern in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good wages, hard to beat in my city (Toronto)
    -Flexible Hours, not much of a morning person so working 11-7 suited me more
    -good amount of freedom on tasks

Cons

-Far too much time spent in meetings. Sprint planning would take upwards of 3 hours sometimes.
    -Senior engineering leadership is basically non-existent at Toronto office. Most senior engineer I had access to had been at the company 2 years, and working a total of 4. We had an SDE III assigned to our team, but we only saw him about twice in my term.

Advice to Management

-Reduce the gap between SDE II, SDE III, and Principle engineer positions. People seem to either move into management or quit after working as engineers for a couple years as the career path quickly stagnates.

Showing 29 of 17,090 reviews