Amazon Reviews in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2384 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 497 reviews)

1. "Receiver"

Former Employee - Receiver in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Receiver in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good management and friendly staff

Cons

There were no cons at amazon

2. "Amazon killing retailers by the thousands"

Former Employee - Retail in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Retail in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The product is so low priced. So low it's leaving no profit for them, for online competitors and especially bricks and mortar retail stores. Thus killing hundreds of thousands of jobs all over the world in retail. But at least Jeff Bezos is rich. The richest man in the world! Congrats Bezos, how much is enough? And to the detriment of how many jobs, lives and companies. I know quite a few people personally that can say they closed their businesses down directly because of Amazon.

Cons

Yes Amazon is cheap, but you get what you pay for if you want to destroy the economy. Wayfair and Amazon both operate at a ridiculously low profit margin for any business. Looks like 1 to 4% profit... What's wrong with that you ask, "they're not greedy" you might think. They're killing retail stores by the 10,000 thousands per month in the USA alone. They're prices are actually so low that it leaves no possibility to Brick and Mortar retail stores of making any profit or matching prices. As a result, 30,000 people lost their jobs in one month alone in 2017... and over 10,000 businesses closed in ONE MONTH as a direct result of Amazon's price structure that used to hover around 4% profit... That's before Wayfair came around. Wayfair, to gain market on Amazon, has lowered theirs target profit to 1% and even slutting-out product at an even more ravaging rate to online competitors and retailers. Because of Wayfair's ultra aggressive approach and functioning at 0% profit after expenses for over 5 years, they're doing-in furniture stores, decorative item stores and so many more categories. Congrats Wayfair and Amazon for triggering the demise of the economy even more. Soon they're be no retail jobs for kids coming out of school, let alone adults having a hard time finding work now. The joke is... they don't even need to cut into prices that much and what they're not leaving on the table, is a lot of profit for themselves... but you gotta keep the shareholders happy right.

Advice to Management

Raise prices so you don't kill brick and mortar businesses and destroy retail jobs by the hundreds of thousands.

3. "Great place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with smart people. Work with high quality development tools and frameworks. Work on stuff that makes a difference. Switch positions (teams, roles) easily. Learn a lot.

Cons

Not that flexible work arrangements. Benefits are not great. Have fun of "work hard, have fun, make history" is largely missing.

Advice to Management

My advice to Jeff Bezos? Hahaha, he is clearly above and beyond mere mortals. Amazon corporate structure is so big and complex that I don't even know who owns what under Jeff.

4. "Account Executive, Amazon Web Services"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people and environment to learn from. Love the quick pace and ability to move fast. Customer Obesssion is truly on full display at Amazon

Cons

Everyone is doing multiple jobs and time/bandwidth is constrained

Advice to Management

Keep hiring Customer Obsessed people

5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, very smart people

Cons

It's a big company so there is a chance you might run into some people who are more concerned with politics than work

"Avoid! Job will give you anxiety & depression."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work 4 days and get 3 days off. Nice extended health benefits.

Cons

Avoid working at a fulfillment center! Turnover rates are ridiculous, I should have backed out from my in-person interview when I was informed about the turnover rate. I should have seen the red flags. For example, working for 2 years makes you 'senior'. I wish I didn't accept the job, but I was desperate. You will be overworked. You will be rushed. You will be stressed. You will feel underappreciated. You will feel like you are underpaid. You will be made to feel unqualified.

They start you off with slow menial tasks and responsibilities. Before you know it, you're taking the load of the whole team and they see how you perform under stress. I've seen people cry at work (or in their cars), work so much they didn't have time to use the washroom, or work right through their lunch.

Numbers/metrics are everything to the company, everything matters to the second. You will be tested. Yes, you heard that right! YOU WILL BE TESTED!

Workers will come up to you with questions to see how you answer them. Events will be staged to see how you react to them. I swear to God I wish I was making this up, but events were literally staged in front of me to see how I would handle them. There's a saying, Amazon has a peculiar way of doing things. Only 'Amazonians' will truly understand that. There's no other way to put it.

By the end of my employment, I was a nervous wreck. I had 0 confidence or motivation. I was making mistakes left, right, and center. I was bullied by management and my peers. I was berated. I was indirectly told to 'bully' others (see example below). I didn't pass some of their 'tests'. I was working 60 hours a week and was receiving 0 appreciation. I began having panic attacks. I couldn't tell which event would be staged to 'test' me or which was real. I began having depression. My last day of employment was the happiest moment. I was scared because I didn't know how I would afford bread the next day.

But, I still made it out of that hell-hole.

Example: I was asked to drop off a cart of products to a specific line of packers. When I asked why that specific line, I was told "Ah, I want them to work harder." When I walked by the first line, the workers were working at a slow and relaxed pace with barely any product coming to them. When I walked by the 2nd line where I was told to drop off the cart (there were already 4-6 carts waiting), all the workers there were rushing and sweating, they were clearly under stress, look panicked, and were obviously either being tested or purposefully overworked to quit.

Advice to Management

Change the work-culture. Change the work-life balance. Stop mentally and physically bullying workers into quitting.

7. "Operations (Fulfillment)"

Former Employee - Operations in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Operations in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary
    Supportive work environment
    Values safety and development of employees

Cons

Depressing being in the fulfillment center
    Lots of rules/procedures
    Boring work

Advice to Management

Try to get people to care about the job

8. "Software Developer"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere and benefits. Interesting projects.

Cons

Breaks dont feel long enough

9. "Worker's Compensation Manager"

Current Employee - Workers Compensation Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Workers Compensation Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

ability to create and improve processes and help people everyday

Cons

overall demands can seem daunting at times, but the rewards outweigh the work tasks

10. "Good Experience Overall"

Former Employee - Third Party Sellers in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Third Party Sellers in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High Traffic. No marketing needed. Fairly easy to make listings.

Cons

Amazon is extremely strict on their sellers and have numerous metrics to make sure we are to best of the best.
    They take "customers first" to a different level, so sellers be aware of how bias they can be!

Showing 53 of 26,882 reviews