Amazon User Experience Designer Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Learn a lot and good work office (in 445 reviews)

• I feel empowered working at Amazon and I have a great work life balance (in 382 reviews)

Cons
  • While my work-life balance is great - others are having a different experience (in 2077 reviews)

• No work life balance at the FC, unless you are senior level (in 436 reviews)

1. "Best UX job in the OC?"

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. I recently had a baby, & my Manager & Director regularly stop by to tell me to take off any time I need for bonding, doctor's appointments, or just to help out at home.

Great compensation & benefits. I can't speak for every person in every role, but I'd be hard-pressed to find another employer with better compensation & benefits in Orange County.

Interesting projects. I truly enjoy & believe in the products I work on. I'm afforded opportunities to mold & change them in positive ways. And I can tell that my teammates feel the same way.

Cons

Career progression. It's on you, as an employee, to progress your own career here. While I see pros & cons to this, I wasn't wholly impressed with my own process of working toward a promotion. However, I have seen positive changes made since then.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company really believes and follows it's values (the Leadership Principles) and they're good, practical, real, and substantial guidelines for how to do business - not the typical nonsensical, useless-aphorism-laden corporate values that most large companies have.

Amazon is incredibly nimble and autonomous. It's not hard to start something here.

The people here are incredibly smart - the caliber of my coworkers is inspiring.

At least on my team, work / life balance is easy to achieve and encouraged. No one is working under crazy stressful conditions or long hours. Everyone leaves at a reasonable hour, works reasonable hours, doesn't work the weekend, takes vacation. My coworkers are all really respectful, polite, and encouraging.

Unlike some other tech companies, everything Amazon does is grounded in a real, substantial, solid retail business. We sell real stuff - not advertising or attention or eyeballs - so the decisions the company makes are grounded in that reality, and I think it helps keep folks from drifting off into outer space too often.

Amazon is incredibly flexible. You can easily switch to other departments, job roles, etc. It's the best place to grow your career.

Cons

Amazon is incredibly autonomous, which means unfortunately there are probably five teams working on any single idea at once. The upside is that there's a lot of ability to cross-pollinate; the downside is you might not find out about the other four teams until you've been working on the same thing for months.

Amazon is huge. While it's the best giant company I've ever seen, it's still a giant company and has some giant company pain points.

Amazon is "frugal" to the point of being cheap compared to other tech companies. It has limited vacation and basically no perks. They pay employees very well, but beyond salary, stock, and typical insurance benefits, there are no additional perks - no tuition reimbursement, no free audible accounts, etc.

Advice to Management

Give employees the option to take more vacation over increases to salary or stock.

"Great company for self-starters"

Current Employee - User Experience Design Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - User Experience Design Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Anyone who has a drive and a will to succeed can read the Amazon Leadership Principles to understand how to excel in the work environment there. You're surrounded by some of the brightest minds in the industry. There are great opportunities to mentor and be mentored.

Cons

Lack of repeatable, streamlined processes, very siloed environment, fiefdoms galore with competing goals and agendas. The last two are common with any large company. The first one is unique to Amazon, in my experience. "It's always Day 1" doesn't scale when you use it as an excuse not to implement lightweight process.

Advice to Management

Understand that the software developers - while incredibly important to the success of Amazon - are not the only employees there. The culture revolves around the male-dominated SDEs. If you manage only SDEs, or are an SDE, please take some time to get to know people in other roles better, empathize and partner better with them.

4. "An ecosystem of start ups"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High degree of ownership within your team and project, lots of opportunities for growth and learning, solid pay and benefits. Work/life balance is good but very dependent on your team and manager.

Cons

No free food and very few levels means getting an important sounding title is hard. If that's really what motivates you in your career, you're in the wrong place.

Advice to Management

Growing fast has created issues with seating density, lack of space, and frequent relocations.

5. "Great Opportunity to Grow a Design Practice"

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and working space. There is also huge potential to work on new innovative products and services.

Cons

Products are often tech driven, so design needs to be sold in. There is often way more design work than resources to accomplish it.

Advice to Management

Overhead tasks are the enemy of designers, reduce the amount of them ... not add to them.

"A great place to grow, learn and be surrounded by intelligent people"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer I in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer I in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good compensation
    Supportive culture for personal and professional growth
    Good work-life balance opportunities
    Relocation assistance
    "Extra curricular" activities to meet new people and do non-work related things
    Tonnes of workshops/conferences/opportunities to learn new things
    Free bananas
    Dogs

Cons

Must ensure that you are self-sufficient to ensure work gets done/personal things are set up
    Many presentations/meetings
    Often projects get changed/derailed due to business constraints

7. "Great Work/Life Balance"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Like all jobs, whether you enjoy it or not depends on your specific team.

I've been very fortunate to be in a team full of amazing people who are very welcoming and supporting. My manager schedules weekly one-on-ones with every team member, and we constantly talk about ways we can improve/career opportunities at work.

It's also very easy to talk to senior management, as almost everyone is open to hearing you out if you have comments. This was definitely one thing I loved about Amazon culture. As a fresh grad surrounded by 30-some year olds who have way more work experience than I do, I loved that they treated me as an equal and never looked down on any of my input.

Cons

Not so much of a con to me, but to some: You need to be able to carve your own path, if you want to take a different direction, you can't wait for someone to do it for you. If you're running low on work/projects, you need to step up and ask for more.

People also don't show up to meetings on time. If you schedule a meeting at 2pm, know that it'll start at 2:10 or 2:15.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

8. "A company that pushes workers to their limits of achieving the best"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

– You work amongst some of the smartest people you will ever meet.
    – Hours are fine and flexible if you have a close knit team. If you get the work done, then time is not an issue of when you leave or come into work.
    – Many of workshops and events to keep the staff happy
    – A number of people is unreal. There are so many side communities you can join that is to your interest.
    – Work is always challenging and keeps you on the ball
    – Salary is generous and expected from a large tech company.
    – Stocks are great on signing. And they keep going up so get in quick!

Cons

– Make sure that you manage and estimate your workload properly. If you don't, you will be punished and will overwork. This is a con if you make it.
    – Hiring bar is high, therefore hiring new team members can sometimes be hard. But hiring the best is important I guess.
    – No free food like other tech companies. But I guess that's a bonus and not a con.

Advice to Management

Make sure that the managers are constantly keeping tabs on their team and have weekly 1:1s. It's very important.

9. "Happily surprised by the positivity and support"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is really energetic and supportive of creativity, and my colleagues get things done. Leaders can be convinced to change their minds if you put together a good case.

Cons

A lot of strong-willed people, so if you want something, you have to be able to speak up. That intensity is a positive for me, but for some personalities it would be too hard.

Advice to Management

Think about how people with different personalities and communication styles can contribute to the Amazon culture. If someone is uncomfortable speaking up in large meetings, they might still have valuable thoughts.

"The best place to innovate with impact"

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture, flexibility, ownership, ease of transferring internally, international opportunities

Cons

Some departments can get political. Experience varies widely based on team. No donation matching. Not enough women/minorities in top positions.