Amazon Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

4.0
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Get chance to learn a lot while working on a real world problem (in 425 reviews)

• It really depends on the individual employees to maintain the work-life balance (in 339 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is not easy to maintain (in 1970 reviews)

• There is nearly no work life balance (in 422 reviews)

1. "Dream company"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great pay and benefits, including RSUs
    -Flexible work environment
    -Many opportunities for job exploration and changing position and role
    -Most companies have a mission statement that doesn't mean much, but we truly live by our leadership principles to help make a difference in our customers' lives.

Cons

-Honestly, no cons. Some might view the work/life balance to be a little imbalanced, but you want to work hard when you feel you're making a difference.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Love it, every day is day one!"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My manager and team mates trust me and empower me to do my best every day in support of customers. Constant flow of new features and services, endless firehose of learning.

Cons

Sometimes the firehose of learning is overwhelming, but it's never boring here!

Advice to Management

Less is more - reduce the number of organizational all hands meetings.

3. "Very grateful to have found Amazon Web Services"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Out of every ten employees I have to work with 7-9 of them are brilliant in their own right (former Startup CEOs, rocket scientists from NASA, scholars, former pro athletes, academia stars, etc). I've been drinking from the firehose for three years and counting and honestly don't see that slowing down. If you like to learn and really want to propel yourself in your career and industry, coming to a company like Amazon (or google facebook, or MS, really any of the top tech companies.,..) is a GREAT career move. I honestly don't see how i'd go back to a middle of the pack company again....so many people leave here at middle level positions, and go on to be higher level directors at middle of the pack companies. Its like the difference between playing at a D2/D3 college and going Division 1.

Compared to other companies in the Washington DC area, the pay is better and/or on par. Because of the stock that you get in addition to the salary, most of us are faring much better than any other position that you'd have around here in a comparable org/role.

Amazon's way more progressive than most DC area companies - dressing up is frowned upon, people have tattoos/pink hair/etc,...basically come as you are within reason. This removes a layer of stress associated with having to get ready for work, that people really don't realize has a great value. We have pretty good benefits too.

You can get hired on and changed roles internally easily. No manager can stop you from transferring. I think this has made managers a bit more nice, as they can lose you easily if they get out of line.

Amazon is pretty progressive when it comes to skills - they don't care as much about certs and degrees as your abilities. I'm on a team where I'm the only degreed individual, and yet, i do believe that one person, is probably top ten experts in their field in the world, and another person to be exceptional in their skillset as well. The third person has over 30 years of experience and they literally begged them not to retire. That said, we also have many phDs and exceptional academics here,..but the key takeaway is be exceptional at making and/or doing. Alphabet soup credentials are not impressive here. Curing cancer is.

So many internal programs to develop technical skills and change career paths. You can come here as an hourly employee and eventually train your way into engineering if you do the work.

Cons

The pace is incredible,...some teams not as bad as others, but that can wear on you, especially if you're a yes person and don't have the strategic thinking to say yes to the right things, and no to most things. People do burn out here. We have a term for people who leave due to burn out (generally) and then come back - boomerangs.

Amazon teeters the line between frugal and frupid (another term used internally). Often have to work with not enough or no money, and understaffed. I imagine how amazing some of our projects would have been, had we had an extra set of hands or some money to work with and not hacking together solutions.

Amazon attracts a lot of Type A personalities. I thought I was one until i got here...then i realized i'm not.

There are the typical problems here too - some people are jerks, politics, drama. Out of five companies I've worked for between internships and full time employment, this has been the best environment though.

Advice to Management

Lets get a bit more progressive with leadership. Just because someone works in a field for 15 years, doesn't mean they are automatically ready to manage people. Lets get better at recognizing that people management, leadership, and expertise are not conflatable skills or terms.

We need a more formal and intense manager development program. Other companies do this. The data shows that people quit their managers not their company - use this as a catalyst to develop better people developers, which is what a manager should be.

4. "Interview for CSA position"

Current Employee - Cloud Support Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Cloud Support Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I interviewed for a CSA position 2 years ago. I have never seen a company focus on individual growth as much as Amazon does. In the last 2 years, I have been promoted twice. Even though the company is huge, the culture here is like that of a startup. Everyone gets recognized for their work. This company is a fire hose of knowledge and is the best place for anyone who is curious to learn something new every day.

Cons

I don't see a downside of working here.

5. "Field Engineer"

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great place to work! Colleagues are very nice, managers care a lot about us and encourage us to take trainings to develop ourselves.

Cons

Workload can be high sometimes, and need to work under pressure.

6. "Way too much talk about 'smart' people"

Former Employee - SDE2 in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - SDE2 in Herndon, VA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the nicest coworkers. Looks good on a resume. Interesting view into a company that's trying to be completely automated (except for the army of software engineers writing the automation scripts). The best 'pro' is how you feel about six months after you leave AWS and realize you weren't wrong for getting out.

Cons

Not a whole lot to learn that will translate to your next job as their in-house tools and applications are unique to Amazon. Way too much talk about working with 'the smartest people in the world' which sounds a pretty arrogant, and honestly folks, isn't true, except for something insiders will tell you: 'Amazon is is where smart people go to feel bad about themselves'. The work is a grind, and they are cranking out an entire new generation of software engineers, straight from college, who don't realize work doesn't have to be like this, and isn't like this any place else. It takes a while to transition back into a normal company.

Advice to Management

Hopefully the recent changes to annual reviews will change things for the better. Be wary about putting newbies in management positions, something that can't be helped with all the churn and burn. Just realize when you are being played by someone who seems to know a lot but is just the loudest mouth in the team.

7. "Data Center Tech"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Sterling, VA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Sterling, VA

I worked at Amazon as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

great team environment. enough work to keep you busy so you're not clock watching. decent pay.

Cons

i enjoyed my overall experience at amazon

Advice to Management

hire better quality techs

8. "AWS"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Top notch thinkers deliver via top notch processes

Cons

Plenty of Type-A personalities that drive their agenda

Advice to Management

Encourage healthy breaks; discourage the always-on mentality

"Having a great time!"

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Architect in Washington, DC

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I came to AWS from another large software company based in the Seattle area. I'm in field sales and have a great team. Customers love us and the work is very fulfilling. Company values are solid; at least from what I see on my specific team and the teams we work with.

Cons

Still growing super fast. But hard to get people through the hiring pipeline.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus on the customer. It's served Amazon well so far.

10. "Technical Curriculum Developer"

Current Employee - Technical Curriculum Developer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Curriculum Developer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Truly customer-obsessed. Ideas are not just pushed aside, but instead if you have a great idea, they will let you run with it and experiment and try out new things. Lots of opportunity within the organization to grow and promote from within. Exhilarating fast-paced work with a huge impact across many verticals to our customers.

Cons

Not for someone who wants to do tedious remedial work and punch the clock. You must be a do-er and not just a talker. Very fast pace, which I love, but is difficult for some.

Showing 112 of 19,222 reviews