Amazon Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While my work-life balance is great - others are having a different experience (in 2134 reviews)

• Sometimes no work life balance and manager will not let you work overtime (in 444 reviews)

1. "AWS Review - New Employee"

Current Employee - Fiber Deployment Engineer in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - Fiber Deployment Engineer in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with the best, have fun, make history. Amazon does things on a scale I've never seen before - it's a lot of fun to be a part of it.

Cons

This isn't so much a complaint for me but something that takes some getting used to - you more or less need to figure out the process yourself. Any process, really. Your team will help but it's expected that you use the internal wiki and tools to figure it out yourself first before asking questions. There's a lot to take it in and a lot of new hires so it's a process everyone goes through.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! I like the pace and the work load. Not for everyone bu tworks for me.

2. "AWS Solutions Architect"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazing Culture
    - Super helping team mates
    - Liberty of working new techs and things interest you
    - Flexible work hours

Cons

- Little traveling is required since we are #1 cloud provider across the universe

Advice to Management

- Nothing

3. "Software Development Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Working with tons of smart yet approachable standards
    - Being a part of the creation of new and emerging technologies
    - A strong emphasis on personal ownership of your work / delegating decision making authority down as low as possible

Cons

- Decentralized decision making approach can make it difficult to coordinate and execute cross-team and cross-organization projects

4. "Greatest Firm Yet"

Current Employee - Security Architect in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Security Architect in Washington, DC

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazon is the greatest firm I have ever had the pleasure of working for. This includes Microsoft, DoD, Walmart, and more.
    +Smartest most driven people
    +Not for the faint hearted
    +Limitless opportunity to change and grow in any technology or field

Cons

-Smartest most driven people
    -Not for the faint-hearted
    -Self-starters only
    -Sink or Swim

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, watch out for the culture creep when hiring from so many of your stagnant competitors.

5. "Excellent hiring process - beyond impressed after starting"

Current Employee - AWS SOC Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - AWS SOC Analyst in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Professionalism: I had a good job while looking for other jobs - a luxury, I know: I could afford to be picky. My interview with Amazon Web Services was done at the same time as two other large companies, but Amazon blew me away with their respect for my time, the time they took to get to know me as a candidate, and the quality of questions they asked of me.

2) In a league of their own: The professionalism I saw during the interview process transferred into the workplace. Everyone I have met as come from a highly qualified place and brings to the table serious skills.

3) Work-life balance: In my first half year, I have had a pretty good work-life balance. Things are picking up, but there is still some balance. I don't mind working the extra time as I am well compensated and this is the big leagues.

Cons

Creation out of chaos? It takes a long time to learn who is who at the company, and what org does what. By the time you know the place, it get's reorganized. Other teams may try to do what you do, so you have to be the best. Abstractly, this could yield a very darwinian process where the best teams survive, but organizationally (and from a resources point of view) it seems very inefficient.

Advice to Management

A little too much chaos - resources for new hires beyond the hiring document are a mess. Inside Amazon yields too many irrelevant results and teams share docs via all sorts of different methods. Surprised the use of S3 buckets for storage is not mandated.

6. "Shift Assistant"

Current Employee - Assistant Shift Manager in Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Shift Manager in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Amazon (More than a year)

Pros

Great company growth opportunities
    Easy work responsibilities
    Great work environment

Cons

Competition is fierce
    Not enough Amazon logistics in every state

7. "Cloud Support Engineer I"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to learn a lot while working here. The culture is pretty cool here and the work is challenging enough to grow your professional experience.

Cons

I can not think of any at the moment.

"Technical Accounts Manager"

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Account Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will be in a completely different work culture and space is the limit.
    You will be sharpened into the best knife in your field.

Cons

Look up the article on New York Times "wrestling big ideas in a bruising workplace".
    You will get the perfect picture

Advice to Management

Please start looking into abuse from employees related to ethnicity and religion.
    In the name of team spirit a lot of abuse is unreported by site leads and managers.
    Micromanagement is used on employees as a form of disapproval and as punishment.

9. "People Make the Difference"

Current Employee - Principal, Business Development in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Principal, Business Development in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Amazonians are simply amazing. So many intelligent and creative people who, while confident, remain humble, friendly, and helpful.
    - Depending on your role and experience with AWS, it can take a long time to get up to speed, but that is calculated for new hires with a considerable amount of training and time given to reach the potential that was seen during the interviews.
    - The AWS platform is the most technologically advanced of the CSPs, so learning and gaining experience on it greatly contributes to technical development.
    - The company's culture is customer obsessed for the long-term. Leaders don't make poor decisions for short-term gains, they make decisions based on what's best for the customer (even if it causes short-term loses).
    - The Leadership Principles aren't just posters on walls, they are internalized by everyone and they influence every decision and action. It should be the lead case study for an MBA organizational leadership course.
    - Having a bias for action is encouraged - if you see a need, you are empowered to find and lead a solution. If you accidentally "step on someone's toes", it is met with understanding and encouragement for your actions rather than a negative turf battle.

Cons

- Some teams who have overlapping areas but distributed organizational lanes occasionally become out of sync
    - It can take a while to get up to speed when first starting.

Advice to Management

The management team I've met and interacted with have been phenomenal! I don't have any real advice other than hire more great people to support our growth.

"Better than expected"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer II in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open work environment, Challenging tasks, Never boring, interesting projects

Cons

Amazon's size, Custom tools can be confusing, Tribal knowledge, Disorganized documentation

Advice to Management

The SDE role has a very well built and documented onboarding process. The SysEng is lacking in this. Develop a better onboarding program for systems engineers.

Showing 135 of 21,645 reviews