Amazon Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2306 reviews)

• "No work life - personal life balance" (in 473 reviews)

1. "Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great work/life balance; great benefits; great chances for dev work

Cons

none at the moment that I can think of

2. "AWS Network Technician"

Current Employee - Network Technician II in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Network Technician II in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to cross-train and change teams

Cons

Difficult to promote, and constant policy changes that make it difficult to be efficient.

Advice to Management

Ensure lower level concerns reach upper level management.

3. "FC Associate"

Former Employee - FC Associate in Rockville, MD
    Former Employee - FC Associate in Rockville, MD

I worked at Amazon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get paid weekly, they have a listening board for things inside and deal directly with warehouse issues, other than that you're short

Cons

Not paid enough for the work they ask you to do, the managers do not help when it's understaffed and the volume is high. They like to dictate. HIGHLY UNORGANIZED. If you have kids that are sick, don't bother bringing an excuse because it isn't accepted, they only excuse personal illness. Not direct contact number. High turn over!!!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, consider getting the FC a working phone.

4. "Company is great...MVP apprentice program is lacking direction, organization, integrity, accountability and fair wages."

Current Employee - Apprentice in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Apprentice in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company and culture is great, pay is a little lower than competitors (regular employees). Bring your dog, Nerf gun, and beer to work.

Cons

MVP apprentice program is a terrible mess. Everyone's hands are tied to fix it, pay is extremely low for the area (even with clearance and experience). You must adhere to company core values that aren't reciprocated by the program.

Advice to Management

Management of the MVP cannot take advice.... Somehow they aren't in charge of their own program... Or just hiring military veterans to meet a quota and publicity.

5. "Technical Program Manager"

Former Employee - TPM in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - TPM in Herndon, VA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The cutting edge technology and the ecosystem that uses AWS is second to none. The leadership principles are powerful if used well with the right people leaders. The RSUs are incredible, the pay okay but not great.

Cons

Ownership or as I called it "over-ownership" of things at AWS was regularly missed used. People can walk all over each-others if leaders allow it and don't set a precedent to support their people. The culture is very manipulative and challenging if you don't have patience (I did patience but it ate away at me after about 2 years). Senior leadership doesn't pay attention to their people unless there's an important escalation, which gives a bad rap to the people that work very hard with little resources - Getting noticed by leadership isn't something our team enjoyed because it always meant their was a problem to deal with rather than an informal conversation getting to know eachother.

Advice to Management

I get it's a big company but walk around and get to know you're people. Empower them and show your support of them once every couple of weeks and your people will take care of you and the business....because they love their leader. This was always a problem in my 2 years and it was something that shouldn't be forced through "breakfast with X leader" invites. It should be that leader walking around and getting to know the teams that work/roll-up to them, personally. Also, start promoting people that deserve it in a more timely manner. I know 5+ people that were significantly under-leveled and it took 1-2 years longer than it should for them to get promoted. It created an sense of resentment, then teams start to fall apart and become discouraged.....and it almost looks like senior leadership does it by-design.

6. "I'm drinking the Cool-aid HARD!"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meaningful project
    Job autonomy
    Engaging work
    Flexible Hours
    Great Benefits
    Generous compensation

Cons

Comute
    No real snacks or fun perks
    10% discount on Amazon purchases up to the first $1,0000. (should be more or better perks, like free amazon prime account)

"Great Place to Work and Have Fun"

Current Employee - DCEO Facility Manager in Sterling, VA
    Current Employee - DCEO Facility Manager in Sterling, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are a motivated self-starter that thrives in a fast paced, fast change, innovative environment, this is a great place to pursue a career. There are vast resources to support your professional growth and career development. If you are a military veteran, there are targeted programs for hiring and career advancement. Lastly and equally important, there are vast resources for social networking, creating fun both at and away from work.

Cons

No cons working for Amazon in Data Center Engineering Operations.

"Great environment for challenges, learning, and growth"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the flexibility being a Solutions Architect. I love dealing with new challenges and helping customers develop their next big ideas on AWS. My manager and colleagues are very supportive and are always ready to assist when I need help with a challenging problem.

Cons

So much to learn, sometimes it's hard to keep up. But if you're passionate about what you do, you won't have an issue finding ways to keep abreast of the latest AWS services.

9. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a self-starter and know what you want to do with your career, this is the place for you. Any go-getter will find this place tremendously innovative and exciting. There is always something new around the corner.

Cons

Elitist attitudes and clique-ishness are heavily prevalent in some business areas. This is fine if you are found to be "one of us", but if you are not included it can be a real bummer. Having the highest standards should not translate to "better than thou". The whole org could use more training on inclusivity and unconscious bias.

Advice to Management

I can see that sourcing one's inner circle for hiring can be a great way to find excellent trustworthy talent. I think, however, that hiring friends (especially close ones) to work for the team you manage defeats the purpose of seeking diverse perspectives and working to disconfirm one's beliefs. Seems like a conflict of interest that could negatively affect those who are not part of the inner circle, but working on the team.

10. "Data Center Security Manager"

Current Employee - Data Center Security Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Data Center Security Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything , Career Opportunities, Compensations & Benefits, & Work/Life Balance.

Cons

I don't have any "cons" at this time.

Advice to Management

The on-boarding process could be a little more formalized. That being sitting through a couple of days with HR to go over benefits, make elections, and having to opportunity to ask them questions in person as things are gone over.

Showing 160 of 25,844 reviews