Amazon Reviews in Washington State | Glassdoor

3,375 Ratings

4,740 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work/life balance seems comparable to other places I've worked - not worse" (in 2483 reviews)

• "I have no work life balance issues" (in 518 reviews)

1. "Grow Like Crazy"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Huge opportunities to learn and grow and contribute to new solutions to big problems. If you like sharp tools and hard problems then this is the place to be. Everyone is empowered to take on anything they think they want to take on which means your career growth is entirely in your hands to find opportunities and chase them!

Cons

As I said for 'pros' they will let you take on as much as you can handle, some people over burden themselves and burn out.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower employees to think big!

"You Get What You Put In"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time

Pros

Really smart people, a lot of opportunity for growth, always encouraged to be innovative, think big, and create something new. Competitive salary and benefits with other major tech companies. 100% self motivating work environment. No dress code and 4 legged friends are welcome.

Cons

You have to be self motivated. NO ONE will hold your hand and tell you that you're doing a great job. If you need constant affirmations from management, this company isn't for you.

Advice to Management

More on-boarding training before new employees are thrown in the fire. The first couple of weeks can be very confusing on where to find the information you need that pertains to your job.

"Exciting Work, Abusive Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Jeff Bezos and his "S-Team" are brilliant and continue to make great decisions for long-term growth.

You work with smart people, you work on exciting projects, you are pushed to your limits...which can be rewarding when you accomplish great things. The diversity of the potential work and innovation can be very alluring. I've often called Amazon my "Sexy Mistress...she's emotionally abusive, but she's so sexy that I go back for more punishment."

Cons

The management process is abusive, and I'm currently a manager. I've seen too much "behind the wall" and hate how our individual performers can be treated. You are forced to ride people and stack rank employees...I've been forced to give good employees bad overall ratings because of politics and stack ranking.

Advice to Management

Don't pretend that the recent NY Times article was all about "isolated incidents". The culture IS abusive and it WILL backfire once stock value starts to drop. I'm an 8 year veteran and I no longer recommend former peers to interview with Amazon.

"Can be amazing for some people, horrible for others"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazon is doing lot's of cool stuff...but lots of boring stuff too. There are really well run teams...and very badly run teams. The experience for software managers and engineers is all over the board, from really run low operational load teams to teams where people burn out after a year.

- Amazon is built, quite deliberately, to be Darwinian. You can generally expect that anyone who's been here for more than 2 years is competent and motivated or they wouldn't have survived. You can count on them as long as your priorities are aligned. There aren't many slackers here, and they don't survive long.
      - We work on so much stuff that there's always an opportunity to find amazing cool stuff to work on (note that it's an 'opportunity', one that you have to pursue)
      - A chance to make a huge difference
      - A place where you can learn a lot about all kinds of things, both technical and about yourself
      - Amazon encourages high mobility - even your manager can't prevent you from moving to another team within 6 weeks (normally, more than a few months under unusual conditions).
      - Your friends and family have actually heard of the place you work and have at least a vague notion of what Amazon does without you having to explain

Cons

- You're responsible for your own career progression and finding the places and teams that are doing the stuff you want to do. No one is going to take you by the hand and help you with that.
    - Amazon is built, quite deliberately, to be Darwinian. The strong survive and the weak perish (metaphorically speaking) and the 'bar' is constantly increasing. The level of performance that would have been acceptable five years ago will get you canned today. It's a kind of crucible that'll help you develop a harder edge, if you can survive, that can serve you well in your career and in life, but it's often not a pleasant experience.

I wouldn't recommend it as a place to work for just anyone.

Advice to Management

Stack ranking is a horrible practice since it's rife with favoritism. It's also not Amazonian in that it's not data based (arbitrarily designating a certain percentage of employees that must be put on performance management isn't a data driven criterion) and it's not frugal (effectively forcing an individual out of the company in one division who would make the grade in another is either retaining someone who doesn't meet the bar or a waste of talent). The goal is to force managers to actually make the hard decisions about how their team members compare with each other (not everyone can be exceptional), but it has more defects than virtues. Replace it with a common comparison of each person against the bar for their position, based on data. The percentages that are assigned to each performance category will turn out how they turn out, but there will be an evaluation mechanism that's fair and frugal.

"We are now in a world where we are condescended to by our inferiors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This company gets A list performance from C list employees. The culture is quick and hard charging. You are always working in relevant and meaningful projects.

Cons

Maybe because the company recruits C listers who have neither merit (intelligence, strategic vision) nor pedigree (academic or professional accomplishments), most of those who become successful do so in treacherous, low cunning ways.

Imagine the Lannisters in Game of Thrones attacking the Starks in Game of Thrones; or Rawls and Burrell attacking McNulty and Daniels in The Wire; or Barrow and O'Brien attacking Mr Bates in Downton Abbey. This is every day leadership behavior at Amazon. The culture at Amazon is so infested with these middling talent weasels who have juked the stats and schemed their way to positions of power that new employees coming in actually start thinking that this behavior is normal and expected if you want to "manage people."

The work itself was stimulating and fulfilling, but the sneering condescension of the d bags that cheated and skated their way through high school and party colleges, then just converted their winky nod nod good 'ol boy shenanigans into a "ask no questions, have no introspection" company culture have made manifest some of the worst criticisms of capitalism. Any left leaning political aspirant would look at this business organism and immediately have content to lash out against the corruption that can come in free enterprise where hard work is not rewarded, and the connected, incestuous, privileged class lounge their way to wealth while treating their employees and customers like some kind of filth their shoe picked up on the street.

Advice to Management

Bezos you bought the Washington Post and hired Jay Carney to be your PR head. There is nothing I can write here that you would deign listen to, because you are a hack. You must be mad that Expedia beat you to the punch and hired Chelsea Clinton to serve on their board of directors.

For those grasping Weasels that have squirmed and back stabbed your way to success, you know who you are. You won't care what is written here because "You got yours, Eff them."

For those truly diligent and hard working employees that don't want to believe the story from NY times that called Amazon a "Snake Pit" because you don't want to think you actually are involved in such a dystopian landscape of anti-business ethics: "Always yell with the crowd. It is the only means to be safe."

"Great place to learn, churn n burn culture in finance"

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- super smart people, the best of the best from schools
    - if you get hired here, you will be hirable anywhere, recruiting process is tough
    - the pay is above average, probably 1.5 times elsewhere (but the expected results are 150% of elsewhere too)
    - lots of opportunities to work on new, innovative projects
    - cool SLU campus, lots of options for food and drinks after work

Cons

- frugality is taken to the extreme, only 2 weeks vacation, parking takes a year or more to get, zero perks (not even free Prime), no fitness allowance, poor 401k
    - your peers will stab you in the back, your manager will blame you for their errors, you can't trust anyone
    - people who throw others under the bus and take credit for other people's work get promoted
    - expectations 60 -70 hours a week, some teams expect Sunday to be an "in the office day", headcount never gets filled, teams are always short a few people but the work keeps piling on.

Advice to Management

The culture and reputation of amazon will never change unless you want it to and set the tone from the top. Try using some customer obsession with employees- as management, employees are YOUR customers. Making great products or margins is fine, but if you have a reputation/brand for treating people awful, then are you really a success? Also, there is visible lack of women or minorities in any leadership role compared to pretty much every other large company in Seattle. Seems like you have to try really hard in a city as diverse as this to be so undiverse.

7. "Great"

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture and a lot of projects to work on.

Cons

I have none due to current team is great.

"Recruiting Coordinator"

Current Contractor - Recruiting Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Recruiting Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a place for workaholics, freedom to be your own boss, no micro managing, flexible, fast pace

Cons

No idle time. Work life balance could be difficult but not impossible

Advice to Management

Improve training process for new comer. Keep up the good work!

9. "Fulfillment associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great pay, accommodating, benefits day one

Cons

bad work hours, long hard days, takes a toll on your body

Advice to Management

8hr days

10. "SDE Intern"

Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Amazon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing mentorship program, very knowledgeable people. You will grow a TON as a professional and an individual here. For interns and new grads, the pay is absolutely phenomenal, and competitive with any company on the market. I made a lot of friends and had a great time during the summer in Seattle and will be returning for full-time (to a still unknown location). Team mobility seems to be really good, so if you don’t like your team switching to another team is fairly easy and even encouraged.

Work life can be great depending on the team. My team worked around 40-45 hours a week and many worked from home a couple days a week. WFH isn’t really an option for interns though if you want to get a return offer.

Cons

Team culture was lacking, full-time placement process is very frustrating due to location and team being unknown.

I was given a project that wasn’t very technically challenging, but I don’t think that is the typical experience at Amazon. Even though my project wasn’t challenging, it was still a lot of work so I had to pull long hours at times (this was optional, though, I’m just an overachiever)

Showing 4,740 of 28,348 reviews