Amazon Reviews in Whitestown, IN | Glassdoor

3.3
Amazon Chairman, President, and CEO Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We get to learn a lot of things on the job (in 410 reviews)

• It really depends on the individual employees to maintain the work-life balance (in 319 reviews)

Cons

1. "Lack of associate development"

Former Employee - Receiving Supervisor in Whitestown, IN
    Former Employee - Receiving Supervisor in Whitestown, IN

I worked at Amazon (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for with tons of opportunity, great insurance

Cons

Lack of associate development for associates wanting to advance in company.

Advice to Management

Need better development plans for all associates.

"Amazon is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Tier I in Whitestown, IN
    Current Employee - Tier I in Whitestown, IN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good work life balance, lots of opportunity for improving yourself. Career Choice is a great benefit. Don't know why people complain so much. You get paid by the hour you work for the hour. if you want to stand around and chit chat and get paid, you should look to work someplace else. Keep busy you'll do good.

Cons

many people like to complain b/c they think they should. The rates are not awful and i feel the complaints i hear about Amazon are really unfair.

Advice to Management

you keep your managers too busy with other projects they don't get to work with their employees enough.

3. "Too much overtime in the summer"

Current Employee - Stower in Whitestown, IN
    Current Employee - Stower in Whitestown, IN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the people. I grew to love most of the managers. We just got a MUCH deserved raise. You can easily advance in this company, due to the complexity of the nature of work.

Cons

In the summer, we were on overtime for about two months straight. Some of the managers are so intimidating to the point when you see them, you want to hide. All of the good managers leave. It is TOO HOT.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees. Read the book DRiVE by Daniel Pink, because some of you don't know how to motivate your employees. You think yelling makes us work harder and it doesnt. It just creates a passive aggressive work environment.

4. "General labor"

Current Employee - Packaging Engineer in Whitestown, IN
    Current Employee - Packaging Engineer in Whitestown, IN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good

Cons

It is too far away

Advice to Management

None

"No Chance for Promotion"

Former Employee - Associate in Whitestown, IN
    Former Employee - Associate in Whitestown, IN

I worked at Amazon full-time

Pros

Benefits are terrific, especially health insurance.

Cons

Company takes the "blank chalkboard" approach to hiring managers. Amazon does not like to promote associates from within to meaningful management positions (Level 4 or above) because of the belief they may have developed "bad habits" as an Amazon employee. Instead the company will hire 21 year old college grads, even people who have never worked a job in their lives, to management positions, supervising people with extensive actual experience in the job the manager is supervising. When it comes to promotions, Amazon is very not only to current associates, but especially to older employees, including those legally protected, i.e. 40 years old plus. The company employs performance metrics not simply as a tool to gauge whether an employee is working hard, but as an end all all. A worker could have performed for 5 years in a row, but if a metric falls short one week, that person is written up as a failing employee. It's no way to retain good employees. Amazon's approach to employment is that the employee is always wrong. Needless to say, turnover at Amazon warehouses is extremely high. McDonald's does a better job at retaining employees. When Amazon exhausts the labor pool, it will bring in foreign workers on visas.

Advice to Management

Good employees need to be appreciated more by management. That doesn't mean handing them a sugar cookie at a break. It means using metrics properly so as to not disparage good workers unnecessarily and to provide those good employees with meaningful opportunities to advance into management.

"Warehouse Associate"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Whitestown, IN
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate in Whitestown, IN

I have been working at Amazon (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and ability to move up in the company.

Cons

Managers keep getting switched after 3- 4 months

Advice to Management

Try to keep Area Managers in their respective departments.

"Amazon 401K is poor!"

Current Employee - Picker in Whitestown, IN
    Current Employee - Picker in Whitestown, IN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I suggest nobody to work in Amazon IND1 cuz our policies are the worst!

Cons

Amazon employees are not equal, some departments are working too hard eg. picking is the hardest work in there, pickers are more tired than others but the same salary but everyday do the same thing.. Stowers and ICQAs are so lucky, they work easily everyday!!! Transfer shift is like nothing, never get approve 😢😢 the worst management ever!!

Advice to Management

There is no equality & justice among Amazon employees. Some people work very easy everyday while some employees work too hard! We can balance our work. Some Pickers will stow 2 days in a week and some stowers will pick 2 days in a week too, also ICQA people will do the same thing!!

8. "Fullfillment Associate"

Current Employee - Fullfilment Associate in Whitestown, IN
    Current Employee - Fullfilment Associate in Whitestown, IN

I have been working at Amazon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and excellent pay

Cons

Not very many to mention

Advice to Management

More VTO sometimes

9. "Hire Directly! Not With Agency !"

Former Contractor - Maintenance Technician in Whitestown, IN
    Former Contractor - Maintenance Technician in Whitestown, IN

I worked at Amazon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Maintenance. Four on and three off. Plenty me time when off.

Cons

Here's where it gets interesting. Maintenance supervision non-existent and lacking skills. It's based on tenure and not always on skills. When it is based on skills the correct people are overlooked and people who are lacking (Never turned a wrench!) are placed into these positions. Lack of leadership and sit at the computer all day. Don't let it fool you, they're not conducting company business all this time. Testing for advancement is available yet there are never openings to advance into! Unless somebody retires, dies or moves you're pretty much stuck. Way too many Prima Donna's. When training ...... You're on your own! Some knowledgeable co-workers. Yet back to the supervision ...... Don't know their butt from a hole in the ground and couldn't give you the answer or direction. Way too much computer time and a PM/input system (EAM) that is slow, redundant and cumbersome and takes up way too much of your technician's time.
    Agency I hired through has absolutely no idea of what is going on inside that facility! Never once saw a Representative there.

Advice to Management

Revisit your (EAM) system. Must have been the brainchild of someone that's Never done this before. There are much better systems that track much better. Corrigo and Holistech to name a couple. Promote supervision that "Really" knows maintenance and knows how to get their hands dirty and is more pro-active and get their butts off their computers and out on the floor! At least the ones who know what to do when they're out on the floor!

"Stower"

Former Employee - Stower in Whitestown, IN
    Former Employee - Stower in Whitestown, IN

I worked at Amazon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get many hours & decent pay. Also you get a paid orientation which was nice and only a few hours.

Cons

Back-breaking work. Everything was okay until the second day when they had us actually pushing the carts with bulk items and having to bust open the boxes and pull every bulk item out and scan it. Management was horrible I could never find anyone to ask for help, I would have to walk halfway across the entire store and then go searching for my cart again. The manager was supposed to tell us when we got our break but forgot to tell me and a few other people in my group so we didn't get one on my second day (keep in mind this is after 5 hours of slave labor) (a total of a ten hour shift) after that I clocked out and went home I could not handle it they were working me like a dog at that point. This is why the turnover is so high.

Advice to Management

Get people with more than a year experience to train. & have more than one trainer on the floor to help the many people in need.

Showing 63 of 18,296 reviews