Ambiance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "accountant"

Pros

the management is the great team

Cons

i dislike the long hour during close

2. "Massage"

Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Burnsville, MN
    Former Employee - Massage Therapist in Burnsville, MN

I worked at Ambiance (More than a year)

Pros

I love my clients and providing wellness. I'm a great massage therapist.

Cons

I like to have more of a flexible schedule.

3. "good learning experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Ambiance (Less than a year)

Pros

It can set your foot in the door of Customer Service industry. They have some good managers.

Cons

There's not much growth opportunity. Depends on managers, your day may not go well.

Advice to Management

I hope lunch time is a little longer.

4. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ambiance full-time

Pros

I was able to challenge myself creatively and freely. I was surrounded by amazing, strong willed women on my team that taught me a lot about the craft and the labor of love. Being able to get feedback by Donna the owner, was encouraging and truly made me feel involved and esteemed.

Cons

On the sales side, more structured training for the associates. Most of those ladies want to do good, setting them up for success will make them feel more confident.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Share your knowledge and enthusiasm with your team. You are all amazing women, spread that awesomeness... make it infectious!!

5. "Terrible place to work"

Pros

Cute clothes. Decent discount. Great locations.

Cons

The turn over is incredible. Antiquated ways! If there were no labor laws, these people would take advantage of their employees. Nobody wants to be around upper management as they do not assume best intentions. Employees call in sick when the District Manager is working in stores. Not a positive environment whatsoever. They do not empower their people with the right tools. There is no training. The merchandising team makes the store staff very uncomfortable. The closing process is ridiculous! Do you close at 8:00 or 10:00? Maybe you make $100 by staying open an extra 2 hours.

Advice to Management

The perception of who you are is different than the truth. Take a good look in the mirror. Get with the times! Be kind!

Oct 31, 2016 – Owner

This is the owner of Ambiance San Francisco. I am deeply saddened to hear you had such a bad experience with us. Any Ambiance store can provide my contact information because Glassdoor does not allow... More

6. "Great opportunity to get retail experience"

I worked at Ambiance full-time

Pros

hard working team, great sales experience

Cons

strict vacation policy, long hours, work weekends

7. "The Entrepreneurial Spirit, Is What I Love!!!"

I have been working at Ambiance full-time

Pros

I have worked with this company for a combined total of 8 years, 3 years previously when the company only had 1 store and I had the fortunate opportunity of being recruited back 5 years ago. I am inspired everyday to have the opportunity to manage 4 stores for the company, that the owners listen, all stores have the opportunity to give feedback directly to the owner and the buying office team, I get to work with a talented pool of individuals who are just as passionate as I am about the business! They take pride in their jobs and when a job is well done, it does not go unnoticed!!! I love the fact that we are not in malls and we participate with in each neighborhood that we are currently located in. Who doesn't want to be a part of a company that has been voted "Best Boutique in San Francisco" 9 years in a row!!!

Cons

As a key person in management it is a struggle to find good employees who share this entrepreneurial spirit! This has been the hardest challenge of the job, we have not found the perfect recipe to always attracting top notch people!!!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, celebrating 20 years and being recognized as the "Best Boutique in San Francisco" 9 years in a row is a true testament of what Ambiance is all about!!!

Oct 31, 2016 – Owner

Thanks for the great review!

8. "My Career at Ambiance"

Pros

1. I thoroughly enjoy my job and I am proud of my contributions to this company.
    2. I have developed some life long relationships with others who share the same vision.
    3. Career minded individuals take their jobs very seriously. I like that. I come to work, to work and I expect others to do the same.

Cons

1. People can get a little catty and out right b*tchy at times and honestly I don't get up and go to work to be insulted. I get that we all have issues, myself included, but respect and professionalism maintains a good rapport.
    2. I have found a career here and unfortunately have reached the "ceiling" in a rather short amount of time. Currently there isn't a higher more challenging position within my skill set. I'm not saying this will always be the case but this has been, for me, for some time.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to create a culture of on going learning/training. On the other hand offer equal openness to fresh ideas and new perspectives this way were not too old, stale, and stuffy.

Oct 31, 2016 – Owner

Thanks for the good review and advice!

9. "Co Manager"

Pros

Great company to work for. There is constant encouragement and open communication for other opportunities within the company when they arise. Benefits and vacation offered, as well as salary packages. Hard work and sales accomplishments are rewarded with cash value , recognition or promotional positions. It is a much more personal company, in that you know who your direct superiors are, and in fact speak with the owners of the company on a daily basis. You are not just a number with this company, which is why I have stayed with them for almost four years now, you are in a fact a person- an individual with a life and family. And the company and owners recognize that, and respect it. I feel valued as an employee with them, which is something I have never felt in commissioned based or cooperate based retail before.

Cons

It is hard work. It takes constant awareness and it is a fast paced environment. Sometimes, it is too fast paced for employees who are looking for just a paycheck. Management can always see through that. They can tell who is fully there when they start their shift and who is too distracted to focus on the business at hand.

Advice to Management

There should be more interactions with other managers of the company. Whether substituting at different locations, or more management meetings, it would benefit the strength of the company to interact with the people you talk on the phone with so often.

Oct 31, 2016 – Owner

Thanks for the good review and advice!

"Not Worth It"

I have been working at Ambiance part-time

Pros

Friendly coworkers, for the most part, and a slight discount on clothing. Customers are generally really friendly and not overly demanding.

Cons

Long week nights and weekend hours, very pushy sales tactics that they disguise as customer service, very blatant favoritism with managers. Discounts were ridiculous for the over prices clothes that would literally be falling a part in store. They don't care about clients, just their money.

Advice to Management

Ease up on the forceful sales tactics when they're already spending so much on a mediocre quality item of clothing.

Oct 31, 2016 – Owner

This is the owner of Ambiance San Francisco. I am so sorry you had a bad experience working for us. I will say that we would not have survived as a Mom and Pop for 20 years if we only cared about... More