Ambrx Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Lawson Macartney

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great opportunities for women and minorities"

I have been working at Ambrx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am fortunate to be at a company that sees the value of bringing people together from different backgrounds to work as a team. I have never seen so many minorities and women in positions of senior leadership at other companies. There are limitless opportunities for anyone who works hard and gets things done. Senior management is always willing and ready to take time out of their very busy schedule to listen to the employees and have established a training route so that the a low level research associate to be part of senior management one day.
    Management also provides breakfast, lunch, snacks, and drinks everyday for everyone. Generous salary, benefits, working culture, and best sophisticated research equipment make coming to work fun and motivates me to work harder.

Cons

There are some people who were here before the merger and are very uncomfortable now that there are women and minorities in leadership positions. Their passive aggressive behavior need to be dealt with quickly and with a proactive response.

Advice to Management

Great job in leading by example and valuing your employees. You have the employees 100% support and best wishes.

"Small company with large pharma bureaucracy"

Former Employee - Scientist
    Former Employee - Scientist

I worked at Ambrx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing good about this company.

Cons

This company is a mess. The constant turnover stalls progress in the work and kills morale. Management does not address the issue. Do they know how to address the issue? People with no relevant experience are being hired or promoted. The product pipeline is nonexistent. Ambrx has always been known as a small company with large pharma bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Management is not committed to the company nor drug discovery, only care about their own take home.

"Don't stay here too long."

I worked at Ambrx full-time

Pros

It is a pay check.

Cons

Management = clueless. Employees = revolving door.

Advice to Management

I needed a job. I had a job. I moved on. Adopt this policy if you accept a job at Ambrx.

4. "Small biotech with large pharma resources"

I have been working at Ambrx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New and bold senior personnel management, great career opportunities, fun projects, diversity workers, bright and sunny company future

Cons

we're quickly growing and need a larger facility

Advice to Management

great job

"Positive growth and management team that listens. New CEO, Alex Qiao, is a thoughtful leader."

Current Employee - Operations in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at Ambrx full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The new management team that came on board after our acquisition in June of 2015 are listening to employees, sharing information and have made a lot of progress getting our drug into clinical trials. Very positive outlook moving forward.

Cons

I do not believe there are cons at this time. Management has done a good job of improving morale.

Advice to Management

Continue the communication with Ambrx employees. It is appreciated.

"Horrible place. Avoid at every cost."

I worked at Ambrx full-time

Pros

None. All the pros have left the building and replaced with incompetent buffoons who does not know anything about drug discovery and development.

Cons

Racially biased. If you are Chinese, Chinese American, Caucasian then one can occupy senior administrative positions and also get promotions in that priority. If you are a crony that is another skill set they value. No innovation. Stupid ideas. The CEO, CSO and VP are mirror images of each other, often competing for the first place in stupidity.

Advice to Management

People are being laid off without any cause. Old employees are let go. No respect for people who are doing the ground work. They are having a hard time in attracting good talent. Avoid at every cost.

"evil does have a name and it's Ambrx senior management"

I worked at Ambrx (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pros: there aren't anymore more pros.There is not an incentive to work here. The high caliber, professional, and outstanding science left the building when the current management team assumed the leadership role.

Cons

Senior management is all bad. hypocrites, cowards, bully's, iron fist rule, pathetic temper tantrums, their way or the highway, employees are viewed not as an asset to the company but rather a statistic/number. The new management team is in a fantasy dream world where the priority is water bottles and bananas.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Hopefully one of you so called senior management entrepreneurs will wake up and remember the core vales and vision of what Ambrx was trying to accomplish in the early stages of the company. The goal was to create top notch technology that could help the world...currently your vision is a deep dark hole because you all have your heads stuck up in where the sun don't shine. Good luck with that

"Worst place - avoid at every cost"

Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Diego, CA

I worked at Ambrx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location in San Diego. Nice weather, nice commute, nice building. On top of a hill with a great view of the bay.

Cons

No career growth opportunity. They are promoting friends and family of C-level officers to Director and above positions. They are conducting meeting in Chinese. They are promoting people who speak Chinese to senior level scientist positions. Favoritism and cronyism is apparent.

Advice to Management

Bring back diversity in work force

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Ambrx full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location, nice lab space

Cons

Horribly mismanaged, employees promoted way above their ability level based on cronyism, management ignores advice of scientists, more interested in money than treating/curing disease, petty and punitive.

Advice to Management

No point, they wouldn't listen anyway.

"Worth a shot"

Former Employee - Technician in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Technician in La Jolla, CA

I worked at Ambrx full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, great holiday breaks, laid back attitudes most of the time.

Cons

Inside politics, lack of department communication, last minute projects.

Advice to Management

Communication, transparency, and trust can go a long way to keep your employees.