Ambry Genetics Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 136 reviews

3.2
Ambry Genetics CEO Aaron Elliott
Aaron Elliott
Pros
  • "It’s a laid back office even with the current owners(in 8 reviews)

• "Great work/life balance, excellent potential with new direction, fun people to work with in general(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "No one trusts executive team who are lying to the employees(in 4 reviews)

• "Poor leadership from C-level down to -supervisors(in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Growth Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Ambry Genetics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company culture, passion for patient care, innovators in the market, underdog mentality.

Cons

As with many companies, communication is not always seamless. The industry has changed dramatically in the last few years and the company has been more reactive than proactive.

Advice to Management

Continue to make strides to improve processes, support employee development, and strike a balance between an organized corporate culture and the laid back mentality many Ambryites have grown to love. The plans laid since the acquisition are positive and strategic, but don't come to fruition overnight. Keep providing transparent status updates to the employees.

Ambry Genetics2018-09-18

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Ambry Genetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Main pro here is the work is very rewarding and products easy to sell. Company has great reputation for having some of best tests available. Growing quickly and perfect blend of corporate and science. Leadership is great and keeps the company moving in right direction.

Cons

Still some disorganization and communication problems between groups. Things change without clear communication to our teams as to timing. Ownership by Konica Minolta not a positive or a negative.

Advice to Management

Invest in the company and stop spending so much time worrying about finance goals. Our competition continues to buy other companies to cover holes in test menu and methods. Many worry that company too reliant on CEO ideas and if he leaves will collapse. Get him some help.

Ambry Genetics2019-06-17

"Annual Raise"

Current Employee - Cls in Aliso Viejo, CA

I have been working at Ambry Genetics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good, hardworking and fun people in my team.

Cons

Horrible HR and mid management. No career advancement and favoritism which is so obvious to everyone.

Advice to Management

If it was up to me, I would replace a few of you.

Ambry Genetics2019-05-27
  4. "Fun but a bit unorganized"

Current Employee - Automation Technician

I have been working at Ambry Genetics full-time

Pros

Good crew to work with

Cons

Unorganized at times, lots of paperwork

Ambry Genetics2019-05-09
  5. "Genetic specialist"

I have been working at Ambry Genetics

Pros

- great management - exciting work environment with focused yearly goals - new and innovative technology - helpful coworkers - opportunities for growth - excellent reputation - focus on clinic and research - competitive salary and benefits

Cons

None that i have ID yet

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on a few goals every year and this will continue to be an exciting place to work

Ambry Genetics2019-04-29

"Big progress"

Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Ambry Genetics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nothing better than knowing you are selling the best quality tests available. Very rewarding. Commercial team is one of the best I’ve been a part of. Leadership holds others accountable and both east and west Oncology heads are fantastic. Knowing you work for a team and company that the competition drools over and spends all their time trying to recruit is flattering. The history of the company is impressive....

Cons

Konica Minolta has not helped too much as most thought when bought company. Territories still big for most reps and not enough promotions from within. Some leadership friction evident. COO who oversees billing Need to update software systems to stay competitive.

Advice to Management

Make sure Konica invests in the company to grow. Frustrating to see the competiton going after it and us being owned by a huge company acting like we need to save money. We cannot always rely on having the next big innovation to grow. Still some departments in my experience could use some refreshing of leadership

Ambry Genetics2019-03-24

"Dont recommend"

Current Employee - PFS

I have been working at Ambry Genetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

PTO, days/hours, no weekends, OT available

Cons

No communication, no room for advancement, lots of favoritism,

Ambry Genetics2019-04-27

"It feels like a sinking ship."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Aliso, CA

I have been working at Ambry Genetics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

My Co-workers are generally good people. We as a company are on the cutting edge of Genetic Testing. We have a skilled human resources team who does a good job. There is a smoothie bar/cafe that is delicious and free to employees.

Cons

There are some employees who do nothing on a daily basis and there is no one actually managing these employees to correct their bad behavior. It is obvious to everyone and really is discouraging to see these people contribute nothing yet still reap all the same perks and benefits as those who work hard. Company Morale is at an all time low. Employees are quitting and going to our competiton at a shocking rate. As...

Advice to Management

Manage! For many of your employees, Ambry is their first real job. It should be a priority to get these people trained right and let them know the real expectations. Many of my Millenial Co-Workers need some guidance and direction in addition to daily tasks.

Ambry Genetics2019-03-07

"Upside not enough to balance huge downside"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Ambry Genetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hands down the best hereditary cancer test on the market. You are selling a product you can truly stand behind.

Cons

Company is proud of their long history but needs to be nimble enough to change with the times. Management in sales the past two years was beyond horrible. Even worse after the Counsyl guys took over. No wonder everyone is moving to a certain competitor. Also, extremely rare for Ambry to promote within. They always bring in outside people to fill management positions. HR or "people team" is down right horrible and...

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your reps and start promoting within. Clean out management! Only a few good people there (LPS)

Ambry Genetics2019-03-03

"It's ok for most part."

Former Employee - Legal Analyst

I worked at Ambry Genetics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and nice employees

Cons

Communication and training are horrible.

Ambry Genetics2019-02-21