Amec Foster Wheeler "foster wheeler" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Amec Foster Wheeler Employee Reviews about "foster wheeler"

Updated Jul 10, 2019

3.5
Amec Foster Wheeler Chief Executive Officer  Jonathan Lewis (no image)
Jonathan Lewis
Pros
Cons
  • "Undergoing regular upheaval as Amec attempts to integrate Foster Wheeler (prior to current Wood Group takeover)(in 32 reviews)

• "Poor senior management in place(in 31 reviews)

Reviews about "foster wheeler"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Senior Architectural Designer"

Former Contractor - Senior Architectural Designer in Tucker, GA

I worked at Amec Foster Wheeler for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, great co-workers, great benefits

Cons

i loved it there and honestly have nothing bad to say about Amec Foster Wheeler

Amec Foster Wheeler2017-10-02

"Communicate, communicate, communicate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

I worked at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you're a hard working individual who likes to be challenged Amec Foster Wheeler is the place for you. They offer great office and team environments that will help you grow as a professional and excel in your field. If given the opportunity I would take a job with Amec.

Cons

-There seems to be a lack of communication between managers and employees. The managers seem to want us (the employee) to know exactly how they (the managers) want things done. -For the amount o f work we put in, we were relatively low paid. 50/60 hour weeks while our managers left early is never a good scenario. -There is a total lack of communication between management and employees. If something is wrong, tell your employee. Do not leave them hanging until they ultimately fail.

Advice to Management

Communicate, communicate, communicate! Show your team what you expect from them. Giving us broad descriptions of what you want leaves us confused, and will cause delays down the road. Again...communicate.

Amec Foster Wheeler2017-08-09

"Great company overall"

Current Employee - Senior Geotechnical Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Amec, though they have acquired other companies have tried, sometimes unsuccessfully, but persistently to build a new identity for the company which integrates the cultures of all the companies they have acquired. If employees buy into the vision of Amec Foster Wheeler, they can build a very successful career. Amec is not unlike many other very large engineering consultancies, with the attendant red tape and bureaucracy, but you will not escape that if you want to build your career with a company of this size. Overall a great place to work.

Cons

The IT department is Broken. Period. It is a mess, and they keep recycling old hardware that doesn't function correctly. Employees who are using substandard technology that hinders them in doing their day to day tasks may wait months before they get a new laptop and the new laptop might be not much better than the old one. New employees get recycled laptops or desktops and it is embarrassing to hire an employee and then make them wait weeks to get a computer. This one issue is a thorn in Amec's side and they will begin to lose people over it. It doesn't matter how good your corporate intentions are; if you can't even get basic technology right, your organization will suffer, and Amec FW is suffering now.

Advice to Management

Fire whoever is in charge of the mess in IT and hire people who have a clue about the need for solid hardware systems and how badly you sap an employee's effectiveness and motivation by forcing them to work with outdated, borderline broken equipment. If someone asks for a new hammer don't hand them a 20 year old pipe wrench.

Amec Foster Wheeler2017-07-19
  4. "SENIOR STRUCTURAL DESIGN ENGINEER"

Former Employee - Senior Structural Design Engineer in Orlando, FL

I worked at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time for less than a year

Pros

I HAD WORKED FOR FOSTER WHEELER IN TWO PROJECTS

Cons

There is no downsides of working at Amec

Advice to Management

I have a lot of experience in the oil & gas industry.

Amec Foster Wheeler2017-07-19

"Not the same company"

I worked at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Foster Wheeler USED to be an employee oriented company until the merger with Amec. Good competent dedicated people. Conservative and risk averse approach to projects.

Cons

Foster Wheeler was purchased by Amec about two years ago. The merger was like oil and water. Amec is not people oriented and seems to have no loyalty to long time Foster Wheeler employees. Their procedures are stifling and in some cases repetitive and unnecessary just for the sake of some upper manager wanting a report in a certain format. Travel policies are embarrassing. Try traveling for 20+ hours one way in economy class just so the company can save some money on their travel budget. They also reduced benefits such as reduced vacation time and severance packages. Morale is very low.

Advice to Management

Adapt the Foster Wheeler approach to projects and streamline management reviews. Reinstate the legacy Foster Wheeler travel policies and benefits.

Amec Foster Wheeler2016-12-08

"Transition"

Former Employee - Senior Process Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- During the busy season, you will be able to choose among tons of projects the one that would support your career path, of course you have to perform to be able to choose. - Project Managers makes you feel that you count. - Salaries are good. - If you ask for opportunities eventually you will get them

Cons

- Transition after the merge between Foster Wheeler and AMEC was not the best ingredient to the current o&g crisis. Basically the company ran out of projects and the layoff was massive.

Advice to Management

Make a plan and follow it. It's already 2 years after the merge and Houston office is still in transition from one plan to the next with no results so far.

Amec Foster Wheeler2016-11-10
  7. "Structural Designer"

I worked at Amec Foster Wheeler

Pros

I would have to disagree with the comments dated august 30, 2016. Yes there are very good designers thats been hired with legacy foster wheeler for particular projects direct and contracts and i guess thats the only facts here but their capabilities are not being valued. No room for improvement here especialy under the legacy foster wheeler cad coordinator. I guess what Im trying to say here is theres actually NO pros here considering the old ways of impleting things here in this company on the designers end. The only pros here that i am seeing is theres new management now. Good for those designers that are left behind and still working in this company.

Cons

For the cad designers, just be ready to follow whatever the cad coordinator wants you to do when you will be hired with this company. Working with this company for more than 8 years, i would say that instead of growing as a designer here you will be limited on what you could do best because cad coordinator dosent accept any suggestion from other designers. What is being implemented here is the idea of the cad coordinator and only his alone.

Advice to Management

Just really monitor each and every designer whos really performing their job well done and whos just hiding behind the curtain. I guess what I am trying to say here is there are cad designers that deserves to have complements and there are designers that just know to cover up their real capabilities by blending and being with a designers that could really perform their job in the particular project.

Amec Foster Wheeler2016-09-05

"Director"

Director

I have been working at Amec Foster Wheeler

Pros

Pay & Bonus is good.

Cons

Company merger with Amec & Foster Wheeler couldn't have happen at a worst time with the market decline and integration of 2 companies. Reduction in force to meet bottom line figures.

Advice to Management

Need to currently restructure so that the baseline core staff is intact for future growth.

Amec Foster Wheeler2016-08-29

"Supply Chain"

Former Employee - Never Really Got One in Houston, TX

I worked at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Seem all the companies’ transitions from Paragon, AMEC Paragon and AMEC to its latest transition to AMEC Foster Wheeler. I worked in the supply chain division with a great group of teammates and friends. As work was abundant back then.

Cons

When work is abundant and you are billable, there is not a problem. As is it with any other company; however, when work is scarce, then no matter how much employee loyalty, dedication or silver bullets you have it will not give you that warm fuzzy feeling during the lean times.

Advice to Management

Simple rule, how big is bigger. Buying companies for only their customer base and assets is not a sustainable way forward to achieve growth to company. Growing by differentiating from the competition, now that might open new doors and opportunities but whom am I to tell management how to run a business. Ce qui sera sera.

Amec Foster Wheeler2016-07-22
  10. "Designer IV"

Former Employee - Designer IV in Cypress, TX

I worked at Amec Foster Wheeler full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits when it was AMEC Paragon, I left before it merged with Foster Wheeler.

Cons

Promotions within the department was good but cross-training into another related department was very difficult.

Amec Foster Wheeler2016-06-29