Amedisys Reviews | Glassdoor

Amedisys Reviews

Updated April 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • The bond between patients and our home health care staff can be very rewarding (in 31 reviews)

• Good benefits for the most part (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work life balance even in the field position (in 18 reviews)

• Level of patient care very high and complex making pay per visit a joke (in 16 reviews)

"Roswell, Georgia"

Former Employee - Home Health RN in Roswell, GA
    Former Employee - Home Health RN in Roswell, GA

Pros

Nurses are top notch! Very unappreciated.

Cons

The management and office staff is horrible. They do not support the Home Care nurses. They are rude and angry.

Advice to Management

Gut the office of all employees, and rehire new office staff. The office staff are extremely negative, and bully the nurses. It is a terrible place for Home Care nurses to work.

"RN Case Manager"

Former Employee - RN Field Nurse in Cumming, GA
    Former Employee - RN Field Nurse in Cumming, GA

Pros

Home Health is relatively flexible, or used to be.

Cons

Substandard pay, no raise in 7 years, pay lower than other companies, long work days, average of 10 hours per day, patient's assigned randomly throughout the day. In general, this company has been in slow decline over the past few years. The company is no longer focused on providing quality care to their patients. It has become all about the numbers, numbers of admissions, numbers on star ratings, numbers of discharges and recerts. It is very sad as the company founder Bill Bourne, if he were still alive, would be sickened.

Advice to Management

Learn to balance life and work. A happy employee is a productive and safe employee. An overworked, stressed employee is one who will walk out and never look back.

"RN"

Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - RN Case Manager in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Amedisys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work is wonderful and rewarding. The other nurses, social workers, chaplains, volunteer coordinators, bereavement specialists, NP, doctors, and a few office workers are a blessing to work with; they are all great!

Cons

The director, most of the clinical leaders, and some of the office staff are quick to ask you to do things they can help with and overwork you. There is a lack of communication overall, some wierd secretive mentality, rudeness, and just bad people management skills overall. There is a consistant and high turnover of nurses and aides because of this. Be careful if you volunteer to help when they are short, you will be taken advatage of and not compensated properly. Census and the bottom line seems to be THE most and sometimes only important thing.

Advice to Management

Put your staff first and then the patients will be pleased and word of mouth will keep your census high. Take care of your staff and they won't need much management. Take care of your staff and the bottom line will eventually reflect that you do, it just may take longer that route, but play the long game not the short immediate gratification game.

5. "Excellent company with a heart for promoting from within."

Current Employee - Area Vice President in North Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Area Vice President in North Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Amedisys full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Family atmosphere, ethical and ultra conservative values. The clinical Staff provides excellent patient care, management is very supportive of "always choosing to do the right thing" for the patient. It makes it so rewarding to go to work each day knowing you are changing the quality of life for seniors.

Cons

The insurance and Medicare changes will always make this a challenging field. Amedisys does keep us educated on changes in the healthcare environment... which is comforting.

"Care Transitions Coordinator"

Former Employee - Care Transition Coordinator in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Care Transition Coordinator in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Amedisys (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company Car, credit card and bonus structure.

Cons

They work you too hard. You have to pretty much give up your personal life if you cover busy facilities. Too many daily calls.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. Respect work life balance and don't micro manage.

"Field Nurse"

Current Employee - RN Field Nurse in Largo, MD
    Current Employee - RN Field Nurse in Largo, MD

Pros

Work life balance
    great clinicians to work with

Cons

Needs more communication between office staff and field staff

"RN"

Former Employee - RN Field Nurse in Sylacauga, AL
    Former Employee - RN Field Nurse in Sylacauga, AL

I worked at Amedisys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the traveling daily, love meeting the patients, pay was good

Cons

It's a lot wear down on ur vehicle, the office staff aren't always nice.

Advice to Management

Don't need to hire friends because they will buddy up against you! I worked for the hospice part..

9. "Area Vice President of Operations"

Current Employee - Area Vice President in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Area Vice President in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Amedisys full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have worked for Amedisys for over eight years now in multiple roles. Previous to this, I have worked at other home care companies (larger and smaller). Amedisys has continued to prioritize quality of care while navigating an ever-changing health care environment. The pros to this company are a focus on quality and an understanding that, due to the shear size of the company, no improper billing or documentation practices can be tolerated.

Cons

Amedisys is working hard to innovate in this industry where increasing pressure from payers and regulatory bodies. This means that we must change the way we practice, the way we continue to ensure quality care delivery. Not all of these changes are fun or welcomed by staff.

Advice to Management

The expectation of leadership at Amedisys is extremely high and demanding as well as gratifying to a point of being a leadership team that would make one desire to succeed.

10. "Lpn"

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Bluefield, WV
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Bluefield, WV

I have been working at Amedisys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am a hospice Nurse and have found this job and company to be a blessing. The company strives to improve quality care and meet all needs with the patient as well as work with employees as family oriented and driven caring people. The pay tried to be competing based and the benefits provided are also competitive

Cons

Hours can be long at times and limit the employee coverage to cover when there is illness or vacation. No sick days set aside from pto.

11. "Compassionate Care for Patients AND Employees"

Current Employee - Marketing in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

The overwhelming response to employees impacted by the recent flooding in Louisiana shows how important our people are to this executive leadership team.

A clearly communicated strategy that focuses on the right things - clinical distinction, our people, operational efficiency and growth.

Working to become an employer of choice is more than slogan here. Investments are being made in our people and the leadership team has made building a culture of engagement a priority.

Cons

There has been a lot of change - in the industry and the company - which can be stressful at times.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the things that truly matter to our people -- engage them and let them know their voice matters. Your actions speak very highly to your commitment to our patients, employees and communities we serve.