Amegy Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Amegy Corporation President and CEO Steve Stephens
Steve Stephens

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I feel they are supportive of a work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Great working environment; most people are happy to help one another; customer service is a priority (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Health insurance is bad, and they offer no dental (in 6 reviews)

• Very political and no room for advancement for a majority; only if one is apart of a selected group (in 5 reviews)

1. "Unaccountable Managers"

Current Employee - Enterprise Loan Ops IV in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Enterprise Loan Ops IV in Houston, TX

I have been working at Amegy Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, Flexible Hours, Paid Holidays/Sick Time/and PTO, friendly environment, nice co-workers

Cons

Incompetent managers, low moral, no efficient training, no room for advancement, micro-management, no regard for employee ideas or their well being, low moral, high turnover rate in Operations

Advice to Management

Hold your managers accountable for proper training, learning the job, and managing effectively. Teach your managers that their way isn't always whats best for the department; work based on professional ethics, not personal feelings.

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Amegy Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some departments are nice to work with and supportive.

Cons

Some managers are self-serving and do not care about their employees.

Advice to Management

Ensure management treats people with respect.

3. "Lead Teller"

I have been working at Amegy Corporation full-time

Pros

Laid back job for college students only.

Cons

This place is a nightmare. I have 10byears in banking an this has been the worst banking experience. The training sucks. They have ancient systems and the management team full of butt kissing snakes. They all talk about each other and lie on one another. I felt like most workers that weren't in school had to much time on there hands therefore keeping up drama was the next thing to do. Other banking center same situations. Unhappy people working a dead end job. I was there 2 years no promotion. They promote from outside. If your hired on expect to be in that role the nxt 5 yrs. Pay sucks. Insurance sucks. They don't even offer a dental plan. I could go on a out the company for days. Best luck to you and your experience.

Advice to Management

Hire qualified people.

4. "Horrible"

Current Employee - Loan Processor in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Loan Processor in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Amegy Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None at ALL there have none

Cons

Horrible and disgusting office in the woodlands

5. "Client Relationship Associate"

Current Employee - Middle Office Loan Specialist III in Missouri City, TX
    Current Employee - Middle Office Loan Specialist III in Missouri City, TX

I have been working at Amegy Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours are flexible for employee

Cons

Insurance is not good for employee

"Sales? Sales!"

Current Employee - Teller (Lead) in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Teller (Lead) in Houston, TX

I have been working at Amegy Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Friendly Customers
    - Good Pay

Cons

- Sales
    - High Turnover
    - Outdated Systems
    - Revolving Schedule

I've been with Amegy for 6 years. When I started, the company had a friendly culture, and took pride in putting the customer first and not just treating people like a number. Sales, or "Referrals/Opportunities" as the bank calls them, were incentivized by a small payout of around $20 per account/credit card that was approved. Year by year the ideals of the company changed, which has eventually led to $0 incentive for sales, as they're now an expected part of the position. Rate of pay did not change. Part time and full time each have their own goals - though once you hit your goal you better not stop selling, or you'll be "coached" on why it's important to sell - I'm sorry, I mean "find opportunities". This promotes taking your time and working to hit your quarterly goal slowly, since if you hit goal at the end of the quarter it's great, but if you hit it early you have to keep going. Management has caught on to this however, and now the real product pushing has started. We're expected to have a product oriented conversation with *every*single*customer* and push push push to bring our branch profitability. If not you're seen as lazy and they want you to leave.

High turnover in an entry level banking position is expected - though it's no longer because people are moving up to bigger and better jobs, it's because the extreme pressure to sell, combined with shifts that constantly rotate are causing tellers to quit and take a paycut to go to somewhere like a credit union. Amegy lists shift hours like "7-11" on the job listing, but then you show up only to find they don't do set schedules and you'll have a 4 hour shift anywhere between 7am and 6pm (for part time). Making it impossible to go to school or plan things like daycare.

Lastly is the systems. I've worked at other banks before, the ones that Amegy is directly trying to compete with and is taking their sales pushing from, and their systems are lightyears ahead. Where other banks will prompt with credit card preapprovals or other promos, show account info and history, Amegy has none of this. To pull up any account information, you have to learn a series of DOS commands and plug them into a small blue screen just to get a list of their accounts. Preapprovals are non-existent. Customers are constantly frustrated at the time it takes to place a simple hold.

Overall, I was very happy in my first few years at the company, now? It's like a completely different company. I can't say for certain if this is branch level management or upper management making these calls, but something needs to change.

Advice to Management

Stop asking your tellers to product push. Customers are allowed to say "No" and are allowed to have cards with lower interest rates or better perks from other financial institutions. If goals are set, let tellers feel good for reaching them, encourage them to keep going but don't demand it and call them lazy. They literally just did what upper management asked of them.

7. "Teller"

Current Employee - Teller III in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Teller III in Houston, TX

Pros

Unfortunately not many pros for this company.

Cons

Horrible benefits. No company growth. Bad compensation

Advice to Management

Train employees and help them grow. Add incentives for sales.

"Worst company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Amegy Corporation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Starting pay is higher than most but you will never see a raise or bonus of any kind.

Cons

Amegy is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. I have never been so miserable with a job until now. I have been told sales referrals are my job. If I'm not meeting my goals im not earning my paycheck. It does not matter to these people that I've been working nearly 40 hrs since I started in July as a 20hr employee. I work open to close often. I do not get notice when I have to stay later. Recently 6 hours past my scheduled off time. These occurrences happen a lot. I got called in twice in one week on days I was suppose to be off. If your going to go into over time they tell you to clock out before that happens even when you are still required to work. If a customer isn't interested in a product it's because your saying it wrong. They are constantly breathing down your neck about sales and it is suffocating. You role play in your down time about pestering customers into getting a product. We are told to ask why if told no. We cannot except that answer. The bank comes first. They do not care about you or your family.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect before you loose the ones that are willing to put up with Amegy. I have not met a single employee that is happy to work for this bank.

9. "Would not recommend."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Amegy Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

None. Not a great company.

Cons

Some managers are not respectful. Employees are not heard.

Advice to Management

Some in management roles do not treat their employees with respect. Pay close attention to your survey information when collected from all employees via HR.

10. "No room to grow"

I have been working at Amegy Corporation full-time

Pros

Still small enough to be a positively impactful employer

Cons

Advice to Management

Graduate from the good ol' boy system, dissect and invest in the existing talent you have wasting away being under utilized