Amegy Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Amegy Corporation President and CEO Steve Stephens
Steve Stephens

Pros
Cons
  • There is not a lot of internal promotions within back office positions (in 5 reviews)

• Health insurance is expensive but honestly, the bank if following the current "Obamacare" trend (in 5 reviews)

"Work in Houston only"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Senior management in Houston is very responsive and does a great job of communicating with all employees. Great brand in Houston, some of the best talent in the city can be found there.

Cons

I worked in SA not Houston. The problem is SA leadership wants to be like Chase bank. They are ignoring the middle market and focusing on large corporate accounts. Only choice for health care coverage is a high deductible plan. My wife has a PPO that has better benefits and costs the same as Amegy's high deductible plan. The only real opportunity for advancement is in Houston.

Advice to Management

Stop what you are doing in SA, just do what Houston did. You are missing out on a large potential client base by just focusing on the large corp. accounts. Take a second look at your retail leadership in SA.

2. "Dont work in Amegy outside of Houston"

Current Employee - Personal Banker II in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Personal Banker II in Dallas, TX

Pros

The work is incredible simple especially if you have had prior banking experience.

Cons

No management organization
    No room for growth
    If you decide to go back to school they will teriminate you
    No training whatsoever
    Very few people actually know how to use the operating systems

Advice to Management

District managers please organize your branches and enforce attendence policy on managners. Do not overfavor some managers and let them get away with murder.

3. "Don't work for lockbox."

Former Employee - Lockbox Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Lockbox Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Amegy Corporation part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers: The one redeeming quality about this job is there are some really nice people there unfortunately it's a double edged sword because for everyone good person there are a slew of mean, conspiring, gossiping, petty, middle aged woman.

Cons

Growth/Promotion Potential:
    Lockbox is a terrible place for growth if you're not a sycophant and even then you're only moved up enough to be a direct underlying of management, which still takes 8+ years. Their are employees who have worked there for 10+ years with minimum promotion even when they're deserving because they aren't exactly a favorite because they may be more boisterous or vocal in a respectful manner about problems and concerns (which is encouraged by management, obviously to weed out those with potential and integrity.
    Communication:
    Communication is so poor with management nobody listens when it comes to a solution that you proposed to improve production until it's too late to solve. Problems are tossed to the side when it involves the managers selected few and HR doesn't help with issues with management because they're in cahoots and management is very "cliquey."
    Turnover:
    This job has a high turnover rate if an employee isn't quitting they're being terminated and that goes for management as well. They'll say the company is doing well and we won this award and the next but it's all a farce because a week later they'll say they need to reduce manpower and give packages to "low performing employees" or hours have to be cut. Then we suffer because there's high volume and not enough workers which in turn keeps you at work in some departments until late at night. Their solution to that is hiring numerous people who they barely train, training is terrible and they just have you shadow a few people for a few days and throw you out into the lion's den, and the team still suffers in this stagnant environment.
    Management:
    By far the biggest issue management changes with the season, one day you're in the next day you're out, management is a clique who use one another for safety when issues with their employees are finally called out which is seldom. If one doesn't like you none do, the environment is very high school. If you have a discussion with neighbors and they don't like either of you they'll rearrange seats and have sophomoric meetings about talking and how it needs to stop but they know we are adults so they don't want us not to talk but keep it to a minimum, while they cackle with each other and other employees. Management wants to be friends with certain employees and don't know how to differentiate between personal and professional relationships and they have made many victims of confidentiality breaching. They discuss other employees and their personal business on the floor and have separate meetings between full time and part time employees. Overall, they need the most improvement.
           Amegy really needs to look at the lockbox department and make major changes it's the worst department to work for and you see many faces come and go. There have been enough red flags alerted to upper level management that things need to change and hopefully they do.

Advice to Management

Stop setting up unnecessary meetings pretending to be interested in the employees job culture and issues with management and do nothing but make empty promises of change.

5. "Hated It"

Former Employee - Teller II in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Teller II in Houston, TX

I worked at Amegy Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They had Flexible Hours to fit my schedule.

Cons

the pay was too low.

Advice to Management

Treat your Employees Better

"There's a reason they struggle to grow..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South Houston, TX

I have been working at Amegy Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relative sensitivity to work-life balance.

Cons

Definitely not a place to work if you're a "go-getter", incredibly bad benefits, and neither promotions nor bonuses are merit based. All relationship based bank. Which means very little diversity beyond customer service and teller roles.

7. "No room to grow"

I have been working at Amegy Corporation full-time

Pros

Still small enough to be a positively impactful employer

Cons

Very political and no room for advancement for a majority; only if one is apart of a selected group

Advice to Management

Graduate from the good ol' boy system, dissect and invest in the existing talent you have wasting away being under utilized

8. "Would not recommend."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Amegy Corporation (More than a year)

Pros

None. Not a great company.

Cons

Some managers are not respectful. Employees are not heard.

Advice to Management

Some in management roles do not treat their employees with respect. Pay close attention to your survey information when collected from all employees via HR.

9. "Worst company to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Amegy Corporation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Starting pay is higher than most but you will never see a raise or bonus of any kind.

Cons

Amegy is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. I have never been so miserable with a job until now. I have been told sales referrals are my job. If I'm not meeting my goals im not earning my paycheck. It does not matter to these people that I've been working nearly 40 hrs since I started in July as a 20hr employee. I work open to close often. I do not get notice when I have to stay later. Recently 6 hours past my scheduled off time. These occurrences happen a lot. I got called in twice in one week on days I was suppose to be off. If your going to go into over time they tell you to clock out before that happens even when you are still required to work. If a customer isn't interested in a product it's because your saying it wrong. They are constantly breathing down your neck about sales and it is suffocating. You role play in your down time about pestering customers into getting a product. We are told to ask why if told no. We cannot except that answer. The bank comes first. They do not care about you or your family.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect before you loose the ones that are willing to put up with Amegy. I have not met a single employee that is happy to work for this bank.

10. "Teller"

Current Employee - Teller III in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Teller III in Houston, TX

Pros

Unfortunately not many pros for this company.

Cons

Horrible benefits. No company growth. Bad compensation

Advice to Management

Train employees and help them grow. Add incentives for sales.

"Sales? Sales!"

Current Employee - Teller (Lead) in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Teller (Lead) in Houston, TX

I have been working at Amegy Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Friendly Customers
    - Good Pay

Cons

- Sales
    - High Turnover
    - Outdated Systems
    - Revolving Schedule

I've been with Amegy for 6 years. When I started, the company had a friendly culture, and took pride in putting the customer first and not just treating people like a number. Sales, or "Referrals/Opportunities" as the bank calls them, were incentivized by a small payout of around $20 per account/credit card that was approved. Year by year the ideals of the company changed, which has eventually led to $0 incentive for sales, as they're now an expected part of the position. Rate of pay did not change. Part time and full time each have their own goals - though once you hit your goal you better not stop selling, or you'll be "coached" on why it's important to sell - I'm sorry, I mean "find opportunities". This promotes taking your time and working to hit your quarterly goal slowly, since if you hit goal at the end of the quarter it's great, but if you hit it early you have to keep going. Management has caught on to this however, and now the real product pushing has started. We're expected to have a product oriented conversation with *every*single*customer* and push push push to bring our branch profitability. If not you're seen as lazy and they want you to leave.

High turnover in an entry level banking position is expected - though it's no longer because people are moving up to bigger and better jobs, it's because the extreme pressure to sell, combined with shifts that constantly rotate are causing tellers to quit and take a paycut to go to somewhere like a credit union. Amegy lists shift hours like "7-11" on the job listing, but then you show up only to find they don't do set schedules and you'll have a 4 hour shift anywhere between 7am and 6pm (for part time). Making it impossible to go to school or plan things like daycare.

Lastly is the systems. I've worked at other banks before, the ones that Amegy is directly trying to compete with and is taking their sales pushing from, and their systems are lightyears ahead. Where other banks will prompt with credit card preapprovals or other promos, show account info and history, Amegy has none of this. To pull up any account information, you have to learn a series of DOS commands and plug them into a small blue screen just to get a list of their accounts. Preapprovals are non-existent. Customers are constantly frustrated at the time it takes to place a simple hold.

Overall, I was very happy in my first few years at the company, now? It's like a completely different company. I can't say for certain if this is branch level management or upper management making these calls, but something needs to change.

Advice to Management

Stop asking your tellers to product push. Customers are allowed to say "No" and are allowed to have cards with lower interest rates or better perks from other financial institutions. If goals are set, let tellers feel good for reaching them, encourage them to keep going but don't demand it and call them lazy. They literally just did what upper management asked of them.