Amegy Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Amegy Corporation Reviews

Updated February 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • There is not a lot of internal promotions within back office positions (in 5 reviews)

• Health insurance is expensive but honestly, the bank if following the current "Obamacare" trend (in 5 reviews)

1. "Like a Family"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

Pros

management wants you to succeed

Cons

I hate driving so far to work; commute

Advice to Management

open more branches; get a better insurance plan

2. "IF LOVE SALES, YOU WILL LOVE THIS JOB!"

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Amegy Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with the company for 4 years. They still believe in having personal service and knowing their customers by name. They are a big bank with a small bank feel. I work with a great set of coworkers. We truly get along and support each other.

Cons

This is very much a sales position. You will constantly be pushing loans on people and trying to get them to sign up for things. It was as aggressively sales as it is now. They are quickly becoming like all the other big banks on pressing loans down customers throats. Yet it is very difficult to get loans approved because Amegy has very conservative credit lines that they abide by. Someone who may get declined for a credit card at our bank can go to another bank and be approved for a 5k limit. This makes your job of selling loans much harder!

Advice to Management

Create better training programs for day to day situations and how to overcome obstacles in day to day situations.

3. "Awful"

Pros

Several Locations
    Always looking for entry level

Cons

Management and any incentive to move up.

5. "General review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Good experienced people in all areas.

Cons

None to note at this time.

6. "Bank Teller III"

I worked at Amegy Corporation full-time

Pros

Great way to start gaining experience in the financial/banking industry. Fun people to work with. Nice locations, there are less than 10 locations in Dallas.

Cons

It is very hard to advance your career outside of simple retail banking. There is not a lot of internal promotions within back office positions. Promoting happens primarily at the retail level from teller to banker.

7. "great"

I have been working at Amegy Corporation full-time

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

none at the present moment

"Sales? Sales!"

Current Employee - Teller (Lead) in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Teller (Lead) in Houston, TX

I have been working at Amegy Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Friendly Customers
    - Good Pay

Cons

- Sales
    - High Turnover
    - Outdated Systems
    - Revolving Schedule

I've been with Amegy for 6 years. When I started, the company had a friendly culture, and took pride in putting the customer first and not just treating people like a number. Sales, or "Referrals/Opportunities" as the bank calls them, were incentivized by a small payout of around $20 per account/credit card that was approved. Year by year the ideals of the company changed, which has eventually led to $0 incentive for sales, as they're now an expected part of the position. Rate of pay did not change. Part time and full time each have their own goals - though once you hit your goal you better not stop selling, or you'll be "coached" on why it's important to sell - I'm sorry, I mean "find opportunities". This promotes taking your time and working to hit your quarterly goal slowly, since if you hit goal at the end of the quarter it's great, but if you hit it early you have to keep going. Management has caught on to this however, and now the real product pushing has started. We're expected to have a product oriented conversation with *every*single*customer* and push push push to bring our branch profitability. If not you're seen as lazy and they want you to leave.

High turnover in an entry level banking position is expected - though it's no longer because people are moving up to bigger and better jobs, it's because the extreme pressure to sell, combined with shifts that constantly rotate are causing tellers to quit and take a paycut to go to somewhere like a credit union. Amegy lists shift hours like "7-11" on the job listing, but then you show up only to find they don't do set schedules and you'll have a 4 hour shift anywhere between 7am and 6pm (for part time). Making it impossible to go to school or plan things like daycare.

Lastly is the systems. I've worked at other banks before, the ones that Amegy is directly trying to compete with and is taking their sales pushing from, and their systems are lightyears ahead. Where other banks will prompt with credit card preapprovals or other promos, show account info and history, Amegy has none of this. To pull up any account information, you have to learn a series of DOS commands and plug them into a small blue screen just to get a list of their accounts. Preapprovals are non-existent. Customers are constantly frustrated at the time it takes to place a simple hold.

Overall, I was very happy in my first few years at the company, now? It's like a completely different company. I can't say for certain if this is branch level management or upper management making these calls, but something needs to change.

Advice to Management

Stop asking your tellers to product push. Customers are allowed to say "No" and are allowed to have cards with lower interest rates or better perks from other financial institutions. If goals are set, let tellers feel good for reaching them, encourage them to keep going but don't demand it and call them lazy. They literally just did what upper management asked of them.

"Better than most banks but still needs work"

Current Employee - Teller III
    Current Employee - Teller III

I have been working at Amegy Corporation part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They work well with scheduling time for family events or emergencies and you can really learn whatever you want above and beyond your position.

Cons

Although they foster growth they prefer to hire outside for most positions. Tenure doesn't matter. Also they don't think things through or get employees opinions on changes to products but are always saying that our banking centers are the front lines. Could use a spot on Undercover Boss...

Advice to Management

Update your systems and when you ask for advice from your employees ACTUALLY listen

10. "Teller"

Current Employee - Teller III in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Teller III in Houston, TX

Pros

Unfortunately not many pros for this company.

Cons

Horrible benefits. No company growth. Bad compensation

Advice to Management

Train employees and help them grow. Add incentives for sales.

11. "what was once will no longer be."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Amegy Corporation (More than 8 years)

Pros

The best reasons for working at Amegy was the atmosphere that we're all working toward doing the best thing for bank customers. The people who work there are caring, focused folks that want to do their best.

Cons

The coming downside is that the company's owners decided to make changes to a well-oiled machine that made a profit. The changes were implemented with no input from those at Amegy Investments who the organization a success. Now the emphasize is changing from doing what's right for the client to maximum production.

Advice to Management

Collaborate with those that have the knowledge and experience to create a better organization instead of reinventing the wheel