Amen Clinics Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Daniel G. Amen

"Stop being angry and look at the facts"

Pros

Here's the thing: the majority of these negative reviews are from people who are upset they were fired.
    You cannot deny the RESULTS. You cannot deny THE FACTS.
    Amen Clinics has changed people's lives for the better.
    The Clinic and The Amen Method has given people hope for a better and healthier life.
    Almost everyday I talk to patients who see the clinic as a huge blessing in their life.

It's pathetic how some CURRENT EMPLOYEES will write such negative reviews.

If you don't understand or believe in the mission of Amen Clinics YOU SHOULD NOT WORK HERE.

Cons

The Clinic has grown significantly and still has a long way to go.
    There are individuals who are working here for the wrong reasons. There also needs to be healthy competition between clinics and more support overall.

"Mediocre"

Pros

Decent benefits
    Flexible
    Implemented good team building exercises

Cons

No direction
    No cohesion amongst departments
    Not friendly

"Terrible company culture"

I worked at Amen Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer general psychiatry and therapy so you can watch some patients improve-that's why we're all in this field, right? There are a couple of psychiatrists and therapists that are kind to staff and do wonders for their patients without trying to push them towards gimmicks and costly SPECT scans.

Cons

Let's first establish the fact that Glassdoor is a resource for job seekers. The reviews given here are meant to reflect employee experience/satisfaction, NOT whether or not Dr. Amen/his clinics are successful. So many of his responses to these reviews are simply arguing that he has been successful. That doesn't negate the clear dissatisfaction current and former employees experienced... that being said, job seekers should heed the advise of negative reviews here, especially if you are considering employment in the Costa Mesa clinic. In my experience, the business was run by unqualified Amen family members. Inexperienced individuals placed in positions of high power and given special treatment, and especially pay, used intimidation tactics to manage their staff and meet goals. My manager would make comments and frequently joke about firing staff when she was having a bad day or if you were to make some simple mistake. Very unfriendly and threatening. Not a lighthearted, you-know-I-love-you joke. In my experience neither manager ever provided personalized feedback, training, support, or goals. They expected you to meet their numbers and shut up. The company as a whole is not interested in onboarding qualified professionals and making positive improvements to the business. They don't want staff feedback. They don't want you to ask questions. In fact managers can't even do many of the tasks they are supervising you doing. Prior authorizations? Figure it out on your own or be written up for not taking initiative. Ask for training in dealing with patients in crisis? Your next review will say you have a bad attitude.
    Lastly, ethics are unbearable. I honestly don't know how some people sleep at night. You will see daily examples of (a couple) physicians taking advantage of patients for financial gain. But this company is only about financial gain. They've lost sight of the individuals they are meant to serve. And staff better not have anything to say about it. Big shot Dr. Amen expects you to worship the ground he walks on.

Advice to Management

Nothing said matters to management. Then and now. My advise to job seekers-skip on past this place.

"It's a trial and error turnover of employees"

Former Employee - Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Amen Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dr. Amen is actually brilliant on his ideas and theories on treating patients in a new modern scientific way backed up by his researches.

Cons

Coming into this company was great, the bosses take you on romantic dates and compliments that you yourself want to be part of this company. The CEO and director of HR graciously showed me what is the company about and admitting that the morale of the company has lowered because of the high turnovers but the CEO stressed that they're trying to change it, that she's willing to raise it up again. Dr. Amen is so respectable that you want to do great things for him and his company. But as time went by, it's like he himself really thinks he's a celebrity that all of us should be willing to keep up with his demands. All the employees work hard on pleasing the CEO and Dr. Amen, they really stressed that they don't want employees to be of "childbearing age" because they don't want to deal with maternity leaves. I got pregnant and had the baby recently and got fired because I have to learn more "Laws" that the company needs that I don't have much knowledge of. I thought I was an exception because I worked so much for this company and gave everything. Day and night when Dr. Amen or the CEO Terry Weber would need something I would pull through all the time, literally day and night even when I called in sick and in bed if they wanted it to be done I'll do work literally in bed.

Advice to Management

Dr. Amen might want to think twice on his CEO. He might have a good outlook of his practice and his ideas are brilliant but The CEO's idea of trial and error, hiring and firing people on a fast basis is not good for him.

"NEPOTISM & CHAOTIC MANAGEMENT"

Former Employee - Clinician in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Clinician in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Amen Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's an income period. The people that need the income are there and stay there. People that don't need the income would not sign a contract or stay very long.

Cons

Nepotism is a huge problem here. There are a lot of family members of Amen who run and manage the clinics with little to no qualification or experience to do so. Specifically in the Newport Beach, now Costa Mesa Office. The Management states it's in a "period of growth" to explain away the constant chaotic work environment. This is typical spin for companies that either don't know what they are doing or intentionally create this type of environment. Either way, it's a very unhealthy work environment as a result. There is a lot of employee turnover...and has always been intentionally "run that way". This is not a safe, career building environment for a clinician. It's quite the opposite.

But again if you need an income...it's a short term option.

Personally, I should have left after my first few months of employment. At the time Dr. Amen inappropriately asked me out on romantic dates and even offered a trip with him. This is an abuse of power and certainly didn't make my remaining time at the clinic comfortable in the least.

In summary, full of nepotism and unqualified employees with special family privileges, constant chaotic work environment and an ethically challenged CEO. Enjoy.

Advice to Management

None...they wouldn't know what to do with it anyhow. I'm expecting the boiler plate responses that they have posted to other reviews. I will acknowledge that it is a successful clinic and Dr. Amen is successful.

But we are talking here about employees and other people besides Dr. Amen, his research or his clinic being in business for 27 years.

These reviews are not about Dr. Amen or the clinics....they are about the well being and opportunities for OTHER people and professionals. Period.

7. "Meaningful Work"

I have been working at Amen Clinics full-time

Pros

It's wonderful to see the effects of our work on patients, and to be a part of helping so many people. I appreciate that I get to be at the cutting edge of healthcare and to work with so many amazing and dedicated people. Our clinic is filled with people focused on innovation and service.

Cons

The company is in a stage of growth, and the management can be a bit chaotic.

Advice to Management

Keep your focus on the mission!

8. "Client Care Coordinator"

Current Employee - Client Care Coordinator in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Client Care Coordinator in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Amen Clinics full-time

Pros

Excellent working environment, everybody is professional and friendly. Great benefits and terrific staff. Everybody is very accomodating and helpful in all aspects of the department.

Cons

I can't really say that much with the downside at working here at amen clinics other than there's so many staff that works here and i barely know all of them.

Advice to Management

The management here at amen clinics is amazing, the only thing that i have to say is probably for each manager in each department to be more outgoing.

"Poor Organization and Support for Clinical Staff"

I worked at Amen Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can learn some essential benefits of supplements that may help your clients. Some aspects of treating the different brain systems are beneficial, however it's not a crystal ball and should not be generalized

Cons

I agree with everything in the "Horrible Structure" review. Coming from a clinical prospective they are correct. The reply that, I am certain Dr Amen wrote of popular articles that were written and of course of media propaganda to drive profits. When it comes to the general field of medicine and psychiatry, its best not to mention this name or procedure, or you would be ridiculed. Just pretend you did not work there and leave out of your resume. Treating the patients is an art an this technique, the way it is currently being used is unfortunately a profit scheme.

Advice to Management

Go back to why you first started trying to help patients... not how many scans you can do in a month

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Amen Clinics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair pay, good benefits and many good people to work.

Cons

I lasted 3 months, and I'm not one to make quit so easily. What can I say, the first month I was there people were trying to warn me of what will happen, but I wanted to give this place a chance. Most of the negative reviews turned out to be true. However,... bless their hearts, the people that work there try so hard to elevate the company but to no avail. If you want to be micromanaged, have no strategy, no direction, receive negative emails, get told you are going to do something then get hit with a list of things you didn't apply for, get in trouble when you don't do what is needed even though you didn't receive any of their training for success, get thrown under the bus just to save someone else's job, love the thrill of a sink or swim situation, like to know why but never get the answer, then by all means apply.

I mean I only experienced 3 months! Then I put in my 2 weeks, and the next day I get an email from someone (they know who they are) saying that they're sorry I felt "inferior." All I could do was laugh. It's ridiculous and so unprofessional. Needless to say, I didn't fulfill my 2 weeks. Last day was supposed to be pleasant - that didn't happen (of course). I didn't come here for drama, I came here to work and put my passions to work. It's just sad to know I worked in a place where almost everyone is unhappy, and the only peace you have is when you're at lunch and everyone has to vent just to release the stress. I'm not saying that they don't have what it takes to be innovative or be successful. What I'm saying is that upper management needs to know that they have a lot of smart and creative people that can help them reach their goals, if only they trust them enough to do it.

Advice to Management

Read above.

"Encouragement in the healhcare field"

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

Pros

This company is in the healthcare field, specifically Psychiatry. Dr. Amen is a pioneer in brain scanning using it to aid in evaluations for a more holistic approach to treatment. This company is not a huge corporation with thousands of employees , we are approximately between 120-150 employees. That being said we are a private clinic, working for a large company vs a smaller company has its pro's and con's . With larger companies its easy to get stagnant an follow in line with mediocre work. working for this company we all have a common goal , to treat our patients and show passion in our work. if you don't enjoy the work you do day in and day out ... why do it? some of these bad reviews here are expected as with any other company, 1 out of every 10 review will be bad, basic statistics. What I can say is this, Dr. Amen shows true compassion for his patients and employees we support his overall goal and mission. If you are in the healthcare industry or going to school for psychiatry this is a good starting point, get your experience and that's the most you can ask from any employer. Don't blame the employer for being all about the Money or lack of leadership as we know this is subjective.

Cons

Healthcare industry , you'd expect some bad patients and people that are not in the best mental shape.