Amen Clinics Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 14, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Daniel G. Amen

1. "Client Care Coordinator"

Current Employee - Client Care Coordinator in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Client Care Coordinator in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Amen Clinics full-time

Pros

Excellent working environment, everybody is professional and friendly. Great benefits and terrific staff. Everybody is very accomodating and helpful in all aspects of the department.

Cons

I can't really say that much with the downside at working here at amen clinics other than there's so many staff that works here and i barely know all of them.

Advice to Management

The management here at amen clinics is amazing, the only thing that i have to say is probably for each manager in each department to be more outgoing.

"Only come here if you're looking to clock in and out. Not a career move."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Amen Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some smart and fun people work here. You end up getting huge marketing budgets to play with that are completely unrealistic in the real world. Experience with a lot of things since Dr. Amen wants to try and do everything, i.e.. podcasts, tv shows, youtube series, courses, supplements, etc.

Cons

CEO is nice, but doesn't have any real control because Dr. Amen always has the final say. BrainMD marketing is lazy and does what Dr. Amen wants, rather than creating a profitable brand. Amen Clinics can't actually help people because of the expense, and they don't really care. After receiving a bomb threat, Dr. Amen would not allow anyone to leave the building, and when people complained about not feeling safe, a company wide meeting occurred, in which HR reminded everyone that "California is an at-will state." There is a constant shuffling of people so that they dont' have to work with Dr. Amen anymore, but their talents can still be used.

The turnover here is ridiculous because people finally start to realize that having Amen Clinics on their resume tarnishes their reputation and won't allow them to grow their skill-sets. The people here are talented, but can't actually use their talent because Dr. Amen forces them to use marketing and clinic dollars for his pursuits, and not their brand's goals. The only reason I'm still here is because me and my boyfriend are saving for a house and I can't lose the income while we are in the approval process for the loan.

Advice to Management

Let the CEO actually be the CEO. Nurture your employees.

"Corporate Staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Good hours, parking, good benefits, nice lower level staff

Cons

Horrible culture, rude and downright disrespectful CEO who doesn't know what she is doing

Advice to Management

Look at how many people you burn through each business quarter read these reviews percentage wise the amount of turn over you have should be a big red flag Daniel this is why your company is growing so slow and will never get to the level you want it to be. You need a new CEO.

"Dysfunctional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Amen Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was good to be a part of a clinic that was supporting brain health.

Cons

Dysfunctional senior management. Never seen so much dysfunction.

Advice to Management

You need to publicize the work and the outcomes; forget promoting individual personalities.

"It's a trial and error turnover of employees"

Former Employee - Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Amen Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dr. Amen is actually brilliant on his ideas and theories on treating patients in a new modern scientific way backed up by his researches.

Cons

Coming into this company was great, the bosses take you on romantic dates and compliments that you yourself want to be part of this company. The CEO and director of HR graciously showed me what is the company about and admitting that the morale of the company has lowered because of the high turnovers but the CEO stressed that they're trying to change it, that she's willing to raise it up again. Dr. Amen is so respectable that you want to do great things for him and his company. But as time went by, it's like he himself really thinks he's a celebrity that all of us should be willing to keep up with his demands. All the employees work hard on pleasing the CEO and Dr. Amen, they really stressed that they don't want employees to be of "childbearing age" because they don't want to deal with maternity leaves. I got pregnant and had the baby recently and got fired because I have to learn more "Laws" that the company needs that I don't have much knowledge of. I thought I was an exception because I worked so much for this company and gave everything. Day and night when Dr. Amen or the CEO Terry Weber would need something I would pull through all the time, literally day and night even when I called in sick and in bed if they wanted it to be done I'll do work literally in bed.

Advice to Management

Dr. Amen might want to think twice on his CEO. He might have a good outlook of his practice and his ideas are brilliant but The CEO's idea of trial and error, hiring and firing people on a fast basis is not good for him.

"NEPOTISM & CHAOTIC MANAGEMENT"

Former Employee - Clinician in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Clinician in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Amen Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's an income period. The people that need the income are there and stay there. People that don't need the income would not sign a contract or stay very long.

Cons

Nepotism is a huge problem here. There are a lot of family members of Amen who run and manage the clinics with little to no qualification or experience to do so. Specifically in the Newport Beach, now Costa Mesa Office. The Management states it's in a "period of growth" to explain away the constant chaotic work environment. This is typical spin for companies that either don't know what they are doing or intentionally create this type of environment. Either way, it's a very unhealthy work environment as a result. There is a lot of employee turnover...and has always been intentionally "run that way". This is not a safe, career building environment for a clinician. It's quite the opposite.

But again if you need an income...it's a short term option.

Personally, I should have left after my first few months of employment. At the time Dr. Amen inappropriately asked me out on romantic dates and even offered a trip with him. This is an abuse of power and certainly didn't make my remaining time at the clinic comfortable in the least.

In summary, full of nepotism and unqualified employees with special family privileges, constant chaotic work environment and an ethically challenged CEO. Enjoy.

Advice to Management

None...they wouldn't know what to do with it anyhow. I'm expecting the boiler plate responses that they have posted to other reviews. I will acknowledge that it is a successful clinic and Dr. Amen is successful.

But we are talking here about employees and other people besides Dr. Amen, his research or his clinic being in business for 27 years.

These reviews are not about Dr. Amen or the clinics....they are about the well being and opportunities for OTHER people and professionals. Period.

"Poor Organization and Support for Clinical Staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Amen Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can learn some essential benefits of supplements that may help your clients. Some aspects of treating the different brain systems are beneficial, however it's not a crystal ball and should not be generalized

Cons

I agree with everything in the "Horrible Structure" review. Coming from a clinical prospective they are correct. The reply that, I am certain Dr Amen wrote of popular articles that were written and of course of media propaganda to drive profits. When it comes to the general field of medicine and psychiatry, its best not to mention this name or procedure, or you would be ridiculed. Just pretend you did not work there and leave out of your resume. Treating the patients is an art an this technique, the way it is currently being used is unfortunately a profit scheme.

Advice to Management

Go back to why you first started trying to help patients... not how many scans you can do in a month

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Amen Clinics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair pay, good benefits and many good people to work.

Cons

I lasted 3 months, and I'm not one to make quit so easily. What can I say, the first month I was there people were trying to warn me of what will happen, but I wanted to give this place a chance. Most of the negative reviews turned out to be true. However,... bless their hearts, the people that work there try so hard to elevate the company but to no avail. If you want to be micromanaged, have no strategy, no direction, receive negative emails, get told you are going to do something then get hit with a list of things you didn't apply for, get in trouble when you don't do what is needed even though you didn't receive any of their training for success, get thrown under the bus just to save someone else's job, love the thrill of a sink or swim situation, like to know why but never get the answer, then by all means apply.

I mean I only experienced 3 months! Then I put in my 2 weeks, and the next day I get an email from someone (they know who they are) saying that they're sorry I felt "inferior." All I could do was laugh. It's ridiculous and so unprofessional. Needless to say, I didn't fulfill my 2 weeks. Last day was supposed to be pleasant - that didn't happen (of course). I didn't come here for drama, I came here to work and put my passions to work. It's just sad to know I worked in a place where almost everyone is unhappy, and the only peace you have is when you're at lunch and everyone has to vent just to release the stress. I'm not saying that they don't have what it takes to be innovative or be successful. What I'm saying is that upper management needs to know that they have a lot of smart and creative people that can help them reach their goals, if only they trust them enough to do it.

Advice to Management

Read above.

"Don't Make Yourself Miserable Here!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Amen Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

you may get the chance to work with a few nice people that will make your days better but for the most part your life here will be awful.

Cons

Everything you could think of. Including a fake environment that lies to improve their image. Many of these reviews I guarantee were written by friends or family of the CEO that are employed there. I know the yelp reviews for the clinics were fake as well, employees were asked to go online and write reviews as "patients"

Advice to Management

get off your undeserved high horse

Amen Clinics Response

Dec 21, 2015 – HR Recruiter

Thank you for your review, I would like to sincerely apologize for your experiences, it may have been a particular supervisor or a situation you went through to enlighten this, but please do not ... More

"friendly co-workers. flexible schedule"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Amen Clinics part-time (More than a year)

Pros

People at work were friendly. My schedule was flexible for my needs.

Cons

Didn't get paid as much as I should have for the amount of work I was doing. There seems to be low quality control regarding protocols and processes. Communication between departments was lacking and difficult to achieve, and therefore made my job harder.