Amen Clinics Reviews | Glassdoor

Daniel G. Amen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Bad leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Amen Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy commute to Costa Mesa office some nice entry level people

Cons

This place has a terrible culture. I have never worked for a more unprofessional and mean CEO and leadership team. I am still here but actively looking for other work. This is one of my first "real jobs" Others who are entry level as well all say the same thing bad business ethics bad business practices bad culture and horrible bosses. Daniel himself is very nice in the little bit I interact with him and most of the doctors are fantastic but just really bad leadership.

Advice to Management

I would suggest the owner to get a new CEO

"Corporate Staff"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Good hours, parking, good benefits, nice lower level staff

Cons

Horrible culture, rude and downright disrespectful CEO who doesn't know what she is doing

Advice to Management

Look at how many people you burn through each business quarter read these reviews percentage wise the amount of turn over you have should be a big red flag Daniel this is why your company is growing so slow and will never get to the level you want it to be. You need a new CEO.

3. "Patient Outcome Manager"

I have been working at Amen Clinics full-time

Pros

Wow, some of these reviews are heartbreaking but as of I've told my colleagues over and over when I hear complaints, people shouldn't work here unless they really really want to be here. We change lives and if we don't live the message, we're letting our patients down. I've worked at the Atlanta office for over four years now and it has been the most supportive, kind, and collaborative environment. Our office operates as one large moving part, everyone having their different strengths and abilities. I am so grateful for our physicians and clinic director who have supported me the whole way, including offering me continued education and overall helping improve my self-worth. For this, it's important for anyone looking for employment here to understand our healthy, loving dynamics because again if you don't live the message, this will not be a good fit for you.

Cons

We need to hire by personality traits and abilities including a strong passion for patient care and the mission to change psychiatry/medicine rather than "resume experiences." Go with your gut!

"Dysfunctional"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Amen Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was good to be a part of a clinic that was supporting brain health.

Cons

Dysfunctional senior management. Never seen so much dysfunction.

Advice to Management

You need to publicize the work and the outcomes; forget promoting individual personalities.

"Only come here if you're looking to clock in and out. Not a career move."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Amen Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some smart and fun people work here. You end up getting huge marketing budgets to play with that are completely unrealistic in the real world. Experience with a lot of things since Dr. Amen wants to try and do everything, i.e.. podcasts, tv shows, youtube series, courses, supplements, etc.

Cons

CEO is nice, but doesn't have any real control because Dr. Amen always has the final say. BrainMD marketing is lazy and does what Dr. Amen wants, rather than creating a profitable brand. Amen Clinics can't actually help people because of the expense, and they don't really care. After receiving a bomb threat, Dr. Amen would not allow anyone to leave the building, and when people complained about not feeling safe, a company wide meeting occurred, in which HR reminded everyone that "California is an at-will state." There is a constant shuffling of people so that they dont' have to work with Dr. Amen anymore, but their talents can still be used.

The turnover here is ridiculous because people finally start to realize that having Amen Clinics on their resume tarnishes their reputation and won't allow them to grow their skill-sets. The people here are talented, but can't actually use their talent because Dr. Amen forces them to use marketing and clinic dollars for his pursuits, and not their brand's goals. The only reason I'm still here is because me and my boyfriend are saving for a house and I can't lose the income while we are in the approval process for the loan.

Advice to Management

Let the CEO actually be the CEO. Nurture your employees.

"Terrible company culture"

I worked at Amen Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer general psychiatry and therapy so you can watch some patients improve-that's why we're all in this field, right? There are a couple of psychiatrists and therapists that are kind to staff and do wonders for their patients without trying to push them towards gimmicks and costly SPECT scans.

Cons

Let's first establish the fact that Glassdoor is a resource for job seekers. The reviews given here are meant to reflect employee experience/satisfaction, NOT whether or not Dr. Amen/his clinics are successful. So many of his responses to these reviews are simply arguing that he has been successful. That doesn't negate the clear dissatisfaction current and former employees experienced... that being said, job seekers should heed the advise of negative reviews here, especially if you are considering employment in the Costa Mesa clinic. In my experience, the business was run by unqualified Amen family members. Inexperienced individuals placed in positions of high power and given special treatment, and especially pay, used intimidation tactics to manage their staff and meet goals. My manager would make comments and frequently joke about firing staff when she was having a bad day or if you were to make some simple mistake. Very unfriendly and threatening. Not a lighthearted, you-know-I-love-you joke. In my experience neither manager ever provided personalized feedback, training, support, or goals. They expected you to meet their numbers and shut up. The company as a whole is not interested in onboarding qualified professionals and making positive improvements to the business. They don't want staff feedback. They don't want you to ask questions. In fact managers can't even do many of the tasks they are supervising you doing. Prior authorizations? Figure it out on your own or be written up for not taking initiative. Ask for training in dealing with patients in crisis? Your next review will say you have a bad attitude.
    Lastly, ethics are unbearable. I honestly don't know how some people sleep at night. You will see daily examples of (a couple) physicians taking advantage of patients for financial gain. But this company is only about financial gain. They've lost sight of the individuals they are meant to serve. And staff better not have anything to say about it. Big shot Dr. Amen expects you to worship the ground he walks on.

Advice to Management

Nothing said matters to management. Then and now. My advise to job seekers-skip on past this place.

"Mediocre"

Pros

Decent benefits
    Flexible
    Implemented good team building exercises

Cons

No direction
    No cohesion amongst departments
    Not friendly

"Stop being angry and look at the facts"

Pros

Here's the thing: the majority of these negative reviews are from people who are upset they were fired.
    You cannot deny the RESULTS. You cannot deny THE FACTS.
    Amen Clinics has changed people's lives for the better.
    The Clinic and The Amen Method has given people hope for a better and healthier life.
    Almost everyday I talk to patients who see the clinic as a huge blessing in their life.

It's pathetic how some CURRENT EMPLOYEES will write such negative reviews.

If you don't understand or believe in the mission of Amen Clinics YOU SHOULD NOT WORK HERE.

Cons

The Clinic has grown significantly and still has a long way to go.
    There are individuals who are working here for the wrong reasons. There also needs to be healthy competition between clinics and more support overall.

"It's a trial and error turnover of employees"

Former Employee - Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Amen Clinics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dr. Amen is actually brilliant on his ideas and theories on treating patients in a new modern scientific way backed up by his researches.

Cons

Coming into this company was great, the bosses take you on romantic dates and compliments that you yourself want to be part of this company. The CEO and director of HR graciously showed me what is the company about and admitting that the morale of the company has lowered because of the high turnovers but the CEO stressed that they're trying to change it, that she's willing to raise it up again. Dr. Amen is so respectable that you want to do great things for him and his company. But as time went by, it's like he himself really thinks he's a celebrity that all of us should be willing to keep up with his demands. All the employees work hard on pleasing the CEO and Dr. Amen, they really stressed that they don't want employees to be of "childbearing age" because they don't want to deal with maternity leaves. I got pregnant and had the baby recently and got fired because I have to learn more "Laws" that the company needs that I don't have much knowledge of. I thought I was an exception because I worked so much for this company and gave everything. Day and night when Dr. Amen or the CEO Terry Weber would need something I would pull through all the time, literally day and night even when I called in sick and in bed if they wanted it to be done I'll do work literally in bed.

Advice to Management

Dr. Amen might want to think twice on his CEO. He might have a good outlook of his practice and his ideas are brilliant but The CEO's idea of trial and error, hiring and firing people on a fast basis is not good for him.

"NEPOTISM & CHAOTIC MANAGEMENT"

Former Employee - Clinician in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Clinician in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at Amen Clinics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's an income period. The people that need the income are there and stay there. People that don't need the income would not sign a contract or stay very long.

Cons

Nepotism is a huge problem here. There are a lot of family members of Amen who run and manage the clinics with little to no qualification or experience to do so. Specifically in the Newport Beach, now Costa Mesa Office. The Management states it's in a "period of growth" to explain away the constant chaotic work environment. This is typical spin for companies that either don't know what they are doing or intentionally create this type of environment. Either way, it's a very unhealthy work environment as a result. There is a lot of employee turnover...and has always been intentionally "run that way". This is not a safe, career building environment for a clinician. It's quite the opposite.

But again if you need an income...it's a short term option.

Personally, I should have left after my first few months of employment. At the time Dr. Amen inappropriately asked me out on romantic dates and even offered a trip with him. This is an abuse of power and certainly didn't make my remaining time at the clinic comfortable in the least.

In summary, full of nepotism and unqualified employees with special family privileges, constant chaotic work environment and an ethically challenged CEO. Enjoy.

Advice to Management

None...they wouldn't know what to do with it anyhow. I'm expecting the boiler plate responses that they have posted to other reviews. I will acknowledge that it is a successful clinic and Dr. Amen is successful.

But we are talking here about employees and other people besides Dr. Amen, his research or his clinic being in business for 27 years.

These reviews are not about Dr. Amen or the clinics....they are about the well being and opportunities for OTHER people and professionals. Period.