Ameren Intern Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Ameren Chairman, President and CEO Warner L. Baxter
Warner L. Baxter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work hours are flexible and the company promotes a work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Benefits are good and so is pay (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Way too many layers of Management, Slow to change, Unwilling to take risks or be proactive (in 3 reviews)

• Very few cons associated with the work environment (in 3 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Former Intern - Electrical Engineering Intern
    Former Intern - Electrical Engineering Intern

I worked at Ameren as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Really involved in the community, cares for their employees, has great values and standards that they actually stick to. The company is looking in the future for the company with improving the infrastructure with the smart grid. Invests back in the community.

Cons

Wish they gave the interns more of an opportunity to make an impact and get results that would improve the company.

Advice to Management

Have an internship program that forces interns to make improvements that will result in great statements on a resume.

2. "Overall a pretty good place to work"

Former Intern - Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Intern - Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ameren as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Pays well and provides good perks and benefits. They do provide continuous education and training to help you gain more knowledge and experience in your field.

Cons

There are many time wasting meetings while trying to make deadlines. There isn't much positive reinforcement or recognition for performing well.

Advice to Management

Better and more efficient communication to subordinates

Ameren Response

Jul 7, 2017 – Social Community Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the job-seeking community. Our goal is always to recognize the great work of our co-workers and share that throughout the organization. We wish you the best... More

3. "Good company, boring work."

Former Employee - Engineer Intern in Peoria, IL
    Former Employee - Engineer Intern in Peoria, IL

Pros

Friendly, helpful people. During the summer there were many opportunities to drive to job sites and work away from the desk.

Cons

Work was boring and repetitive.

4. "Great company, boring job."

Former Employee - Intern in Fulton, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Fulton, MO

I worked at Ameren full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were lots of opportunities to learn about whatever area you were interested in. There were lots of chances to explore the plant and network with others. All the interns got along really well. All of the full time employees really seemed to enjoy their jobs

Cons

Working in the nuclear industry means there are lots of safety regulations and red tape. This makes it hard for an intern to contribute anything valuable during such a short amount of time. I was often bored.

Advice to Management

Discuss career opportunities with interns so we could understand where we lie in the company and where we could be if we became full time employees.

5. "Great experience"

Former Intern - Consultant Intern in Decatur, IL
    Former Intern - Consultant Intern in Decatur, IL

I worked at Ameren as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very smart and nice people to work with!

Cons

can't find any thing negative!

6. "Great Company"

Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Intern - Engineering Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ameren as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

They give you meaningful work to complete. The pay was great. They gave me paid holidays. All of my coworkers were completely willing to teach me what I needed to know. My coworkers were also very welcoming. The company works you hard, which i like.

Cons

I have no real cons. You should just expect to work. They are sort of strict about showing up on time, and working the full 40 hours.

Advice to Management

I had no issues with upper management. They were all cool dudes and dudettes.

7. "Excellent hand on eperience"

Current Intern - Communications Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Intern - Communications Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great upper and middle management. Very personal for being such a large company, very impressed they remembered the interns name on a first name basis. treated well, pay is amazing for being in college, one on one job training, very personal staff, work with a small group, given responsiblities to manage, very trusting, fun place to learn, exciting places to work at such as power plants and special events throughout Saint Louis.

Cons

Nothing really, wish there were more college aged students in the department to relate with. Most of the people working in the communications department have been there a while and are in their 30's-40's

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Do everything you can to make people feel included!

"Very friendly people with a lax work schedule. In the grand scheme of things, the pay is competitive."

Former Intern - Petroleum Engineer Intern in Decatur, IL
    Former Intern - Petroleum Engineer Intern in Decatur, IL

I worked at Ameren as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly people
    Lax work schedule
    Awesome work/life balance
    No issues concerning the possibliity of getting laid off (hence 'utility company')

Cons

Too Lax of work schedule at times
    Not as upbeat to suit a young worker (of course, depending on your personality)
    The Midwest isn't the most exciting region of the U.S

Advice to Management

Be open minded as possible of other's concerns and suggestions. This way, everyone feels respected and driven to utilize their pride on the job…but of course that's with every company.