Ameren Reviews

3.9
Ameren Chairman, President and CEO Warner L. Baxter
Warner L. Baxter
Cons
  1. "Company has great benefits, reputation, and adaptability."

Current Employee - Associate Engineer in Decatur, IL

I have been working at Ameren full-time for more than a year

Pros

Ameren includes Dental, standard Health, and Vision insurance as their employee health benefits. They also offer special savings accounts such as HSAs (Health Savings Accounts which are exempt on taxes for your health expenses). They also offer a 401k from the get-go and a company pension after being vested in the company for a number of years. Pair this with the reputation of the company and the general willingness to try and constantly improve and make both the company and the business better it is a great place to work. I have talked with many managers and supervisors across the company through email and everyone works very harmoniously and patiently with each other, for the most part.

Cons

There are some individuals, as I am sure there are everywhere that do not get properly disciplined for their work ethic or behavior. These always seem to be HR nightmares or from supervisors/managers not wanting to have to deal with it. Most promotions across Ameren are horizontal over periods of a year. If you want rapid raises you need to hop up to either higher technical jobs or management.

Continue reading
  2. "Great company to intern/co-op with"

Former Employee - Electrical Engineering Co-Op in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ameren full-time for less than a year

Pros

During my co-op there were tons of events to network. We presented our projects to higher up managers at the end of the summer. Stipend of $600/month for people that live at least 50 miles away from their work location. Was assigned meaningful projects that improve Ameren's substation infrastructure and safety.

Cons

Engineers seem to worry about keeping their jobs. I heard one engineer mention during a meeting that we are all replaceable, to which he is correct.

"The Vendor Management Office has become club ex-Monsanto"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I've been with the company a long time. It has been stable and provides good benefits.

Cons

Most new hires are external people that are from Monsanto, a friend of the director, and white. There is no diversity in this group at all. These people are like dealing with the borg robot humans described in the Star Trek series. You must assimilate to the Monsanto way of thinking and doing things. Some of them even refer to themselves as the Monsanto Mafia. This group has become a politically driven, divisive team that continues to add several layers of bureaucracy to the organization with little value to show for it. Lots of gossip and tales come out of this group too. No foundation or facts associated to them. The director is building a white empire.

Ameren Response

June 19, 2020Social Community Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. With your tenure, your experience of Ameren and Digital’s desired culture and commitment to diversity is appreciated. As you mentioned, we're proud to provide good, stable jobs within our communities, and our Digital organization is growing. New teammates are hired through our established recruitment process that includes multi-member diverse panels and interviews with HR professionals. Our VMO team is made up of co-workers with many different experiences, backgrounds, and cultures who come to the team from both internal and external sources. This hiring process and VMO’s leadership encourage and advance Ameren’s commitment to diversity, but we hear your concerns and we’d like to hear more about it from you. We encourage you to reach out through the several in-house channels for sharing this feedback. We welcome conversations directly with supervisors, Ameren's HR representative within Digital, another representative in the HR department or through our employee compliance hotline for anonymous reporting of concerns.

"Great"

Current Employee - Digital Strategy Co-op in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time

Pros

Great communication from company, great pay and benefits, significant experience not needed

Cons

I haven't found any so far

"Great benefits"

Former Employee - Sourcing Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Ameren full-time

Pros

Benefits and strong financial company . Cash based pension meaning you can take it with you.

Cons

Lots of silos. Structure and processes is lacking. Very chaotic work atmosphere due to inefficiencies

6. "Good company"

Current Employee - Superintendent

I have been working at Ameren full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good pay, flexibility, leadership encourages employee development

Cons

Lack of accountability for poor performers

"Great benefits"

Current Employee - IT Senior Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits and relaxed culture

Cons

Mature co-workers and many procedural hurdles to getting things done internally.

"Leading Utility Company"

Current Employee - Associate Engineer

I have been working at Ameren full-time for more than a year

Pros

Employees are valued and respected. Good benefits and opportunities to grow.

Cons

No Cons. Everything is excellent.

"Work at Ameren"

I have been working at Ameren full-time

Pros

many very good union jobs

Cons

work can be very dangerous

"Ameren is an extremely fair and safe company that provides ample opportunity for building a lifelong career."

I have been working at Ameren full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Industry-leading benefits (401k match, Pension, sick time, vacation, great health insurance, dental, and vision) - Safe and fair. Pretty much no chance of getting let go unless you do something totally unreasonable - Heavily focuses on training employees and building their skills - Safety and Diversity are huge aspects of the culture - Company-wide yearly bonus based on a percentage of your base pay and modified by the company’s yearly performance - Updates to the workplace policy and layout make the company feel much more modern

Cons

- Pay is average for the industry. Raises are typically small. - Heavy internal politics between departments - Opportunity for remote work is limited - Overtime is not paid for office employees and sometimes is expected to complete project work

Found 210 reviews