Ameren Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Ameren Chairman, President and CEO Warner L. Baxter
Warner L. Baxter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work hours are flexible and the company promotes a work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Benefits are good and so is pay (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Way too many layers of Management, Slow to change, Unwilling to take risks or be proactive (in 3 reviews)

• Very few cons associated with the work environment (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great energy company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very stable company with great benefits. Company cares very well about employee safety. Salary is very good and is usually above average for entry levels. Very close community, senior employees always ready to help newer ones who may not be up to speed.

Cons

For certain engineering disciplines, it might be a little restricted.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, especially your concern about employee safety.

Feb 6, 2017 – Social Community Manager

Welcome to our team, and thank you for taking the time to let us know how it’s going. As you mentioned, we’re a pretty close-knit community and co-workers throughout the company are invested in your... More

2. "Great work culture and fun place to work!"

I worked at Ameren as an intern

Pros

Everyone is really helpful and fun to be around

Cons

Can't think of any cons

3. "Intern"

I worked at Ameren as an intern

Pros

Nice work culture, very laid back, and great employees

Cons

Infrastructure is old and difficult to work with, causing confusion. Senior employees do not act to retroactively change this due to cost.

4. "Cool"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

They always pay on time.

Cons

They only pay 1 every 2 weeks

5. "Great Company with Great Potential"

Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good and management seems interested in peoples future at Ameren.

Cons

Would like them to update some of their fringe benefits like adding maternity/parental leave or adding family sick time.

Advice to Management

None

Aug 31, 2017 – Social Community Manager

We're happy to have you as part of the Ameren family. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Please speak with your supervisor regarding sick leave for qualifying member care, depending on... More

6. "Meter Reader. Soon this title will be automated. I plan to retire."

I have been working at Ameren (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, Peoria,Bloomington, Lincoln,Springfield, Decatur, St Louis.
    The company offers great benefits.
    Great co-workers. They offer labor jobs as well as office work, or management .

Cons

My job deal's with daily routes that need to be done daily.
    You will work in all weather conditions ,rain,snow,heat, storms. Only wait out lightening.
    You also have to be aware of your surroundings, a home could have Bad Dogs.
    Soon as I said this job will be automated.

Jul 7, 2017 – Social Community Manager

Thank you for your review. We agree, our co-workers are wonderful! The people and culture at Ameren are a large part of what makes this company a great place to work.

7. "Great Place to Work"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Ameren is by far and away my favorite place I've interned so far. It's a very collaborative atmosphere that made me feel at home the moment I started. I also love that unlike other internships where you're just doing busy work, Ameren will have you doing real work that will be implemented which really helps you grow in your field.

Cons

My only con that I can think of is that their IT department is a little slow, but that's something you're going to find anywhere you work.

Advice to Management

Keep up the positive atmosphere.

Jul 7, 2017 – Social Community Manager

Thanks for joining us this summer! We're happy to have you and appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Our intern program is important to us and we're glad to hear you're finding your... More

8. "Stable company with genuine co-workers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ameren is a solid and reputable employer in the St. Louis area. My co-workers are very genuine, kind people who have come to feel like family. The salary and benefits package is very strong. I feel very appreciated for my work and feel that I am able to strike a good work/life balance. I get to do the type of work I enjoy and feel that I make a positive contribution to the company.

Cons

This is a large company and so change can come slowly.That can be frustrating when you have a great idea but have to work so incredibly hard to keep it moving forward. Ameren is working on instilling an Innovation culture, but that takes time with a company this large. There are pretty clear career paths for technical fields (e.g. engineer -> senior engineer) but in the office-worker jobs, there is no clear path to move forward unless your boss moves on or retires. Everything is very beige here at headquarters, although newer facilities are built with a more modern workspace.

Advice to Management

Structure some career paths for non-technical fields to mirror what we see in our previous industries (e.g. having a "senior" level title that you can aspire to, without leaving your current job). Keep working on the innovation culture, but focus equally on empowerment ("you personally are empowered to make this decision").

Apr 19, 2017 – Social Community Manager

Thanks for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback. We agree, Ameren is a pretty great place to work, and we’re so glad you’re part of the family! As you mentioned, we’re working to instill... More

9. "Engineering co-op"

Current Intern - Engineering Co-Op in Marion, IL
    Current Intern - Engineering Co-Op in Marion, IL

I have been working at Ameren as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Employees were willing to help and teach me. Was given the freedom to handle my projects and tasks without being micromanaged.

Cons

Company uses software that is out of date.

"Ameren has been a great place to work at."

Current Employee - Engineering and Construction Suoervisor in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Engineering and Construction Suoervisor in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work hours are flexible and the company promotes a work life balance. There is plenty of opportunity to move around the company and gain experience.

Cons

The company lacks in training their employees. It is a sink or swim environment. Design standards are also lacking innovation, there is a strong mentality of this is how it has always been done.

Apr 19, 2017 – Social Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your experience with the job-seeking community. We’re so glad you’ve been able to grow your career with us. We’re committed to helping all of our co-workers develop their careers... More