Ameren Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ameren Chairman, President and CEO Warner L. Baxter
Warner L. Baxter

Pros
  • Work hours are flexible and the company promotes a work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Very stable company with great benefits (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Way too many layers of Management, Slow to change, Unwilling to take risks or be proactive (in 3 reviews)

• Very few cons associated with the work environment (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great energy company"

Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very stable company with great benefits. Company cares very well about employee safety. Salary is very good and is usually above average for entry levels. Very close community, senior employees always ready to help newer ones who may not be up to speed.

Cons

For certain engineering disciplines, it might be a little restricted.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, especially your concern about employee safety.

Ameren Response

Feb 6, 2017 – Social Community Manager

Welcome to our team, and thank you for taking the time to let us know how it’s going. As you mentioned, we’re a pretty close-knit community and co-workers throughout the company are invested in your ... More

"Application Development Specialist"

Current Employee - Applications Development Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Applications Development Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Medical benefits are good. Company location is okay. Free parking.
    Company 401K(but others are just as good and better too)

Cons

I agree with others. Get experience and get out. The company wants to look good, (thats what they got Karen Foss to try to do and fix) but the company isn't fooling anyone.
    The work IS 24X7X365. l would not recommend if you have a family; it is a stepping stone to another position elsewhere. No pay raises. The company can talk about integrity, respect and stewardship in the value; but as the saying goes; "do as i say not as i do."

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead wood. Both union and non-union employees, it's overdue to do some housecleaning and cut the dead wood headcount. Many "paycheck collectors" and this needs to stop. I mean some departments have 24 people doing what 3 people do.

"If VP is your buddy and you enjoy bureaucratic top-down only management, this is the place for you!"

Former Employee - Field Engineering Representative
    Former Employee - Field Engineering Representative

I worked at Ameren full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay in some areas for work performed. Benefits are better than many newer companies but are under pressure. Many types of jobs are available all over state.

Cons

Where to begin? It would be hard to imagine how a company management could drive employee morale much father down. Since Ameren swallowed up the moderately well run utility company I worked for in Illinois, it has been one bad decision after another. Annual employee surveys consistently give horrible ratings to upper management year after year yet no changes. Need new board & management.

Advice to Management

Change the culture 180 degrees. Stop the "bad news gets buried". Eliminate layers and layers of bureaucrats. Require managers to directly ask first line employees what would help them be more efficient Get rid of stone-age software that actually slows down work. Fire the top half of the management if necessary.

"Don't Trust Your Career Here"

Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A regulated utility is a monopoly and people love their product.

Cons

As I write this some good people that I know are losing their jobs. Ameren's foray into the deregulated merchant electric business is ending badly. I'm sure the board members and senior management people that decided to make Ameren the next Enron or Calpine about 15 years ago aren't being hurt by their bad decisions, but many people poured many hours of effort into a lost cause. The ex-CEO once called their merchant generating affiliate the "growth engine of Ameren". Well thanks a lot for letting me put my career into a mis-managed mess that was a waste of time. Ameren is "selling" their deregulated generating business to Dynegy and the Dynegy folks don't need too many of the Ameren people. Now I find myself wishing I never worked there because it's always better to be part of a success than a failure. Avoid this company like the plague, you will be sorry if you put your life's work into this organization, I am.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting relatives and people married to relatives. Your stock value won't go up while nepotism is the defining element in promotions to senior management.

"Infrastructure Specialist"

I have been working at Ameren full-time

Pros

The medical benefits are good. I cant think of anything other Pros

Cons

Poor working environment and poor hours. Work environment is like you will work these hours and do off hours work or ...leave. So you should keep your resume updated. You cannot trust what management tells you. This has been a long standing theme at Ameren. If management tells you one thing, expect just the opposite. Senior management is looking to fill their pockets only. IT should just contract out all of the work.

Advice to Management

Resign. Or wait...let's find a company to buy you out and 'clean house.'

7. "management sucks"

Current Employee - Telephone Customer Service in Jefferson City, MO
    Current Employee - Telephone Customer Service in Jefferson City, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

they pay you a ton of money for doing nothing

Cons

the rules change from day to day

Advice to Management

does no good to offer management advice, they are smarter than everyone else.

"Settlement Specialist"

Current Employee - Settlements Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Settlements Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Ameren full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, and great subordinates. Very much a team environment among the non supervisory employees.

Cons

Middle management stinks. A very cut throat environment, where the Supervisors will step on whomever needed to get promotions.

Advice to Management

Clean house, way too much middle mis-management. Especially in the supervisor and manager positions. Not company focused, only worried about their next promotion.

9. "Noc Agent"

Pros

it is steady employment.The pay is fair.

Cons

Ameren is not interested in converting contract talent to a full time employee. The overall company strategy is to make the majority of it staff contract work. Contractors are treated as 3rd class. They are not accepting of new and innovative ideas. Truly a sad state.

Advice to Management

dont just think of the bottom line.

"great benefits - no work-life balance - micromanagement"

Current Employee - Missouri in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Missouri in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Great benefits and salary. Nice people. If you don't actually like to work, then you should be safe to race up the corporate ladder.

Cons

Micromanagement! It's more important to be seen than to actually work. Nepotism.. lots of nepotism

Advice to Management

Be progressive. Get out of the 1950s. Treat the knowledgeable hard-working employees well so you don't lose good talent ,and get rid of the dead weight

"IT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Great pay and compensations, good work schedule and great facilities. I really have no other positive comments to fill 20 words.

Cons

Terrible leadership, politics and inability to listen to employees. Very much an environment where IT does not work together. Requirements are dictated not discussed and if they don't like the solution they go over your head and you are held at fault.

Advice to Management

Remove the directors and hire new Directors. Shake the IT department up and provide leadership training.