Ameresco Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ameresco CEO George Sakellaris
George Sakellaris

1. "Good work life balance"

Current Employee - Project Development Engineer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Project Development Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Ameresco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company knows the energy services business through and through. They have a good pool of resources available for any questions that may arise. Work life balance is excellent. Profitable company. Good culture

Cons

At times, standardization to a tee has proved to be difficult to apply in other areas of the country. Technical documents cannot be blanket applied in other areas.

Advice to Management

Keep up the growth

2. "Been there done that"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ameresco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of good people work at Ameresco, but mostly unappreciated.

Cons

Very controlling work environment. If you are not in the corporate inner circle your ideas are ignored. Very little opportunity to innovate. If they do like your ideas they take them and give them to a limited group of favored employees to run with it.

Advice to Management

Change

3. "Overal pleasing job"

Former Employee - SQL Support Technician in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - SQL Support Technician in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Ameresco (More than a year)

Pros

Our location had easy going employees. Very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Headquarters didnt seem to appreciate the efforts of this site. This site doesnt exist anymore.

Advice to Management

Too late for any advise, as I indicated previously, this site is now shut down.

5. "Engineering Assistant"

Current Employee - Engineering Assistant in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Engineering Assistant in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Great team atmosphere and learning environment. Excellent learning experience. Provided a greater intern experience than almost any other internship. Competitive pay. Ameresco allows for priority to remain on your schooling.

Cons

The pace of the work is very high, so at first it can be stressful work environment.

"LACK OF LEADERSHIP!! No Interest in their employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I worked at Ameresco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Enjoyed some of the people I worked with and the talent. Worked with some of the most talented people in this industry but they are no longer there.

Cons

No Support from upper management and definitely no leadership or lack of direction. During my time there we encountered four reorganization in 3.5 years and I had a total of 5 bosses in 3.5 years. I have never seen a company run like this in my entire career.

Advice to Management

Stop and see what is happening from the top down and make the changes there instead.

7. "Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Melville, NY

I have been working at Ameresco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with some of the finest engineers in the field both professionally and personally. The company is constantly pursing new and interesting work which keeps things fresh. A tremendous backlog makes Ameresco a stable place to work.

Cons

Flatter company structure limits promotion opportunities. Since going public, there have been no bonuses. Communication and cooperation between various offices could be improved.

8. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

The company has good executive leadership, good pay, good benefits, lots of great high profile projects, and good healthcare coverage available

Cons

There was a hiring freeze when I worked there that prevented me from being able to hire assistant PMs and superintendents to oversee the work.

Advice to Management

Make sure that you provide proper resources for all of your projects including staff to oversee and supervise the work that is being implemented.

"Very unprofessional!!"

Current Employee - Construction in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Construction in Washington, DC

I have been working at Ameresco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm thinking……..relaxed because the confusion would make you crazy

Cons

Very poor execution and follow through, management is under skilled, procedures are made up as you go along, no "pat's on the back" or "good job" EVER, no bonus at Xmas EVER, no sick leave, no team work, no direction, micro management of stupid stuff.

Advice to Management

Do your job and stop doing mine.

10. "Intern"

Former Employee - Summer Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Excellent company culture. Everyone in the office was very kind and open to giving advice, constructive criticism as-well as listening to what concerns and questions I had. Really enjoyed my experience. Got business cards as an intern.

Cons

I cannot think of any negative experiences that I had during my four month internship with the company. The only thing that comes to mind is that the HR which is located at another office had me on 401K as an intern by accident they didn't pay enough attention.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you are doing. I think the management is very friendly and fantastic. I got to work with the program manager as an intern. He was easily available.

"Great people locally, but HQ lacks direction."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Ameresco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talent: Ameresco employs some of the brightest minds I've had the pleasure of dealing with. 90% of the local staff is top notch.
    Communication: Everyone is eager to help each other and knowledge is shared freely.
    Environment: Management is involved and coordinated without being in your business and looking over your shoulder. A high level of trust is shown and earned with competence and not brown nosing.
    Salary: Pay is competitive and fair. You can probably find a higher salary somewhere else, but it's not much more, and it's certainly not worth the headaches.

Cons

Benefits: No vehicles. I've put 60k miles on my personal car in 2 years (exactly 2 years as of post date). Bonuses are sporadic and I don't know what they're for or how to get more of them.
    Use of Resources: I've never spoken to anyone from a different region (excluding Framingham). There are solar and utility management divisions that don't ever get utilized when we all exist under the same umbrella.
    Disconnect from Corporate: This is the big one. Ameresco's strategy was to gobble up smaller companies to establish market share nationally. This is well and good, but it seems like they did it without any sort of plan on how they would commingle all of these different offices.Everything from payroll issues, HR problems, expenses and budgets needs to go through the mothership in Boston. It's incredibly inefficient at best and mind-numbingly annoying at worst.

Advice to Management

Give your regional offices the tools to succeed. Also, quit missing projections and pile driving the stock.