Ameresco Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ameresco CEO George Sakellaris
George Sakellaris

1. "Good work life balance"

Current Employee - Project Development Engineer in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Project Development Engineer in Miami, FL

I have been working at Ameresco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company knows the energy services business through and through. They have a good pool of resources available for any questions that may arise. Work life balance is excellent. Profitable company. Good culture

Cons

At times, standardization to a tee has proved to be difficult to apply in other areas of the country. Technical documents cannot be blanket applied in other areas.

Advice to Management

Keep up the growth

2. "Overal pleasing job"

Former Employee - SQL Support Technician in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - SQL Support Technician in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Ameresco (More than a year)

Pros

Our location had easy going employees. Very friendly and helpful.

Cons

Headquarters didnt seem to appreciate the efforts of this site. This site doesnt exist anymore.

Advice to Management

Too late for any advise, as I indicated previously, this site is now shut down.

3. "Project Engineering Assistant, OMH group"

Former Intern - Project Engineer/Energy Manager Assistant in Melville, NY
    Former Intern - Project Engineer/Energy Manager Assistant in Melville, NY

I worked at Ameresco as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Hard working, extremely bright small group of people. Oversaw OMH facilities to ensure efficient running of all HVAC, pneumatic, and control systems.

Cons

Working with state employees causes a general slow down of getting projects through the system. Limited to a small group of contractors that the state already had picked to bid on projects.

Advice to Management

Pick new contractors

5. "Front end Developer"

Current Intern - Frontend Developer, in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Frontend Developer, in Boston, MA

I have been working at Ameresco as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

innovative in driving technology.Good learning curve and good team leadeership

Cons

Pay you less than expected.

6. "Project Engineer"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Melville, NY
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Melville, NY

I have been working at Ameresco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work with some of the finest engineers in the field both professionally and personally. The company is constantly pursing new and interesting work which keeps things fresh. A tremendous backlog makes Ameresco a stable place to work.

Cons

Flatter company structure limits promotion opportunities. Since going public, there have been no bonuses. Communication and cooperation between various offices could be improved.

7. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

The company has good executive leadership, good pay, good benefits, lots of great high profile projects, and good healthcare coverage available

Cons

There was a hiring freeze when I worked there that prevented me from being able to hire assistant PMs and superintendents to oversee the work.

Advice to Management

Make sure that you provide proper resources for all of your projects including staff to oversee and supervise the work that is being implemented.

8. "Intern"

Former Employee - Summer Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Excellent company culture. Everyone in the office was very kind and open to giving advice, constructive criticism as-well as listening to what concerns and questions I had. Really enjoyed my experience. Got business cards as an intern.

Cons

I cannot think of any negative experiences that I had during my four month internship with the company. The only thing that comes to mind is that the HR which is located at another office had me on 401K as an intern by accident they didn't pay enough attention.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you are doing. I think the management is very friendly and fantastic. I got to work with the program manager as an intern. He was easily available.

"Great people locally, but HQ lacks direction."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

I have been working at Ameresco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talent: Ameresco employs some of the brightest minds I've had the pleasure of dealing with. 90% of the local staff is top notch.
    Communication: Everyone is eager to help each other and knowledge is shared freely.
    Environment: Management is involved and coordinated without being in your business and looking over your shoulder. A high level of trust is shown and earned with competence and not brown nosing.
    Salary: Pay is competitive and fair. You can probably find a higher salary somewhere else, but it's not much more, and it's certainly not worth the headaches.

Cons

Benefits: No vehicles. I've put 60k miles on my personal car in 2 years (exactly 2 years as of post date). Bonuses are sporadic and I don't know what they're for or how to get more of them.
    Use of Resources: I've never spoken to anyone from a different region (excluding Framingham). There are solar and utility management divisions that don't ever get utilized when we all exist under the same umbrella.
    Disconnect from Corporate: This is the big one. Ameresco's strategy was to gobble up smaller companies to establish market share nationally. This is well and good, but it seems like they did it without any sort of plan on how they would commingle all of these different offices.Everything from payroll issues, HR problems, expenses and budgets needs to go through the mothership in Boston. It's incredibly inefficient at best and mind-numbingly annoying at worst.

Advice to Management

Give your regional offices the tools to succeed. Also, quit missing projections and pile driving the stock.

10. "Engineering"

Current Employee - Project Development Engineer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Project Development Engineer in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Good company, they treat staff well and pay well

Cons

The company seems to be a bit disorganized and segmented from office to office

Advice to Management

I think as they grow they have to being to implement better wholistic company practices.

11. "Good place to work"

Pros

Comfortable environment, fairly relaxed, pay was acceptable

Cons

Things didn't run smoothly as they could've, micromanagement was a problem at times

Advice to Management

Work to resolve problems, not sweep them under the rug