AmeriCares Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Nyenhuis

1. "Family atmosphere but poor management"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Stamford, CT

I have been working at AmeriCares Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Americares definitely feels like a big family. It is nice knowing that your work actually helps people in need around the world.

Cons

Management seems to be so involved with the implementation of projects that a lot of the necessary administrative tasks get overlooked which ends up putting more burden on employees.

Advice to Management

Take a step back from each project and look at how your unit is functioning from a high level. Don't get too deep into the weeds.

AmeriCares Foundation Response

Oct 31, 2016 – Manager, Recruitment and Talent Support

Thank you for your insight and feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve, and we are grateful to hear that you feel like family here!

2. "Funding Coordinator"

Current Employee - Program Development and Funding Coordinator in Monrovia, CA
    Current Employee - Program Development and Funding Coordinator in Monrovia, CA

I have been working at AmeriCares Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employees and great team working together for all.

Cons

Great and improved what is what for all

Advice to Management

Constant reviews

3. "Overall - an absolutely amazing experience!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Stamford, CT

Pros

AmeriCares has an infectiously positive atmosphere. It's hard to walk in the front doors and not be inspired by something that someone is working on. I have felt completely supported in every aspect of my role, from onboarding to reaching out to individuals I'm interested in learning more about to diving deep into my work and making changes to systems that don't make sense to my style of work.

I think one of the best pieces of coming into my role at AmeriCares was the onboarding - I have never come into a role where I had orientations set up with departments across the organization to help me understand what the mission as a whole looks like. You also have the chance to sit down with the CEO for breakfast and just talk to him, ask questions about the organization and his vision for its future - it's truly phenomenal. And as my role also directly oversees onboarding, I'm excited at the opportunity to expand this and make it even more comprehensive!

Cons

I wouldn't necessarily say there are any "cons" per se, but one challenge I've faced is that the organizational culture is more meeting heavy than I have ever been used to. Again, I don't think this is a problem or that it's overly meeting heavy; it's just something that I'm experiencing for the first time.

Advice to Management

Keep engaging with staff members at all levels.

5. "On-Boarding"

Current Employee - Media Manager in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Media Manager in Stamford, CT

I have been working at AmeriCares Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Full team effort and completely supported by all areas and departments. The immersion of AmeriCares history and direction will help to guide all employees to take solids first steps in their new role.

Cons

Upgrade technology and education of today's technology opportunities will shift and improve all areas of production in order to gain the most success

Advice to Management

Consider a full integration and transformation to a split ownership or full future move to Apple technology to maximize success and communication.

"An efficient, mission-driven organization on the rise."

Current Employee - Communications Senior Associate in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Communications Senior Associate in Stamford, CT

I have been working at AmeriCares Foundation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AmeriCares is an organization looking to grow and expand its reach to help more people lead healthier lives, an initiative being led by new CEO Michael Nyenhuis. It is an exciting time to join the organization, as you get to shape what it will look like in the years to come.

The company culture is heavily based on collaboration and transparency -- even as an associate, I was encouraged to share my thoughts and insights with leadership, including the CEO.

Almost everyone on staff is a pleasure to work with and passionate about what they do. There are (largely) reasonable work hours, and always a delicious snack awaiting in the kitchen, a perk of your generous coworkers!

Cons

The salary for entry level positions is on the low end, particularly for Fairfield County, but the benefits package is excellent.

7. "Pleasant work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

I worked at AmeriCares Foundation full-time

Pros

Warm, supportive company culture that is consciously cultivated. Excellent work-life balance. Lots of interesting opportunities given to relatively junior staff. Mission-driven.

Cons

Limited upward mobility--many people stay in the same role for several years and do not have opportunities for advancement. Pay is not great. Very meeting-heavy culture--sometimes we would have meetings about planning our next meeting, which could be frustrating.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for role/title advancement to prevent constant staff turnover on some teams.

"Passionate people, great opportunities!"

Current Employee - Manager in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Stamford, CT

I have been working at AmeriCares Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working here for several years now. Currently, this organization is going through a positive, revolutionary transition. With the advent of a new CEO in the beginning of 2014, I believe that evolution will catalyze faster. AmeriCares is slowly transitioning from a medical aid and humanitarian aid organization to a more development and program oriented organization, still maintaining its emergency response and humanitarian aid as its strongest base. This is a place to work if you have a passion to work in the humanitarian development and global health fields. People here love what they do, they are an energetic, passionate bunch who truly care. Apart from that, friendly community, great work-life balance especially for females.

Cons

Some departments can seem a little disconnect with the overall mission of this organization. But the higher management is working on regular communication and education.

Advice to Management

More transparency on the direction AmeriCares is heading in the next 5 years.

"Make what you want of it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Pros

A great working environment.
    An amazing place for people with family as lot of flexibility is given in times of personal need.
    Efforts are constantly being made to make you feel a part of the family and give you sense of belonging.

Cons

There is no opportunity for professional growth and advancement.
    A clear strategic vision of the organization is missing.
    There is no sense of competence to levels of compensation or title.

Advice to Management

Communicate strategic vision
    Professional advancement opportunities

10. "Who's on first?"

Former Employee - Associate Director in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Stamford, CT

Pros

Good mission and execution and coverage of less publicized crises

Cons

Senior management is secretive and spends more time talking and holding meetings than putting plans into action. The culture prescribes that you "kiss the ring" of CEO and other senior management. Confusing fiefdoms

Advice to Management

Develop action and implementation plans. Then measure progress

"This foundation is a wonderful place to work in the non-profit area."

Former Employee - Not Given in Stamford, CT
    Former Employee - Not Given in Stamford, CT

Pros

The culture is great. We were doing work to benefit those in need. You left for the day feeling good that you had benefited others in need. The world of non-profit is much needed in today's economy and AmeriCares does wonderful work through out most of the world. They have great pharmaceutical companies that are donating drugs and relief supplies. Their work deserves better recognition as a good place to contribute. Almost all of the money given is used for goods. The percentage of money that is used for administration is minimal compared to many non profits. You have a good feeling when you work here.

Cons

I was really happy there. It was unfortunate that I was caught in downsizing as the economy sank. The only downside is that when donations are down, the organization cannot do as much for others and when they had to let people go save on funds, some experienced people were let go and severance was minimal although the organization offered some time of re-employment workshops. I think that we were such a close group, I am sure that the environment has changed and it will be a while before things get somewhat back to normal. I wish them well. thanks

Advice to Management

Really think about the work that people do don't get too top heavy - you need to have experienced employees at lower levels. It is great that you are getting lots of volunteers, many having some experience so they can help fill needs.