KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 1,876 of over 2,255 reviews

3.6
AmeriCorps CEO Michael D. Smith
Michael D. Smith

What people are saying about AmeriCorps

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "I was able to get professional experience doing meaningful work with some really great people.(in 86 reviews)
  • "Great opportunity to get out in the community and work directly with individuals living in the neighborhood.(in 42 reviews)
  • "Great training and on the job experience.(in 41 reviews)
  • "You really do grow as a leader and I think I learned a lot about myself as a person.(in 40 reviews)
  • "Great staff and a foot in the door(in 24 reviews)
Cons
  • "Obviously pay is low but necessary to experience and empathize with those you wish to help(in 381 reviews)
  • "Long hours and lots of work.(in 60 reviews)
  • "You are paid less than minimum wage and there is no help with food or housing by the organization.(in 39 reviews)
  • "No benefits because it's pretty much volunteer.(in 39 reviews)
  • "Management poor and not supportive of existing staff.(in 30 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of AmeriCorps and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great

Jun 3, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Bridgeport, CT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Opens doors for great people with a past

Cons

A little bit disorganized in communication methods

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

A look into the world of Non-Profits

Jul 4, 2022 - AmeriCorps VISTA in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you want to get involved with your local non profit, check and see if they have an Americorps VISTA position available. It is a good way to dip your feet in, or jump in over your head! it is a year of service, and I learned so much. I picked up new hard skills, and AmeriCorps helped me re-locate.

Cons

I had a very hard time accessing their health benefits. This was due to me having a name change, but still-the beaurocrocy made it so difficult that I gave up and was thankfully able to rely on Medi-Cal. Also, I was told that I would still qualify for foodstamps. I moved my family from Ohio to California for this position for very low pay. How ever, When I got here I was told there had been a recent change, and the rule for food stamps and AmeriCorps would no longer apply.

3. 4.0

Love working here

Jul 5, 2022 - HRN in Ramsey, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Bosses, experience, leadership, people management and internal growth

Cons

Pay and training that is all

4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Okay Job

Jul 2, 2022 - Administrative Assistant in Miami, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Resource -food stamps -aid the community -scholarship for school

Cons

-Doesn’t pay a lot -heavy workload

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A review from someone finishing their second year

Jul 1, 2022 - Americorps VISTA Member in Whitesburg, KY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Overall it's a good experience. An opportunity to give back to a community, even one that is where you didn't grow up. They have assistance with relocation, and an end of service bonus if you complete your service. If you are trying to get to work for the federal government, this will help you get in a bit easier.

Cons

Living stipend, which is possible to live off, just be ready and smart with your money.

6. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Serving at it's best

Jun 22, 2022 - Service Member in South Bend, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

I was able to show up in a community organization and utilize my skills to help create change.

Cons

The pay is set depite the hours you put in.

7. 3.0

Low pay

Jul 6, 2022 - Park Interpreter
    Business Outlook

Pros

Easy job- few tasks at the park

Cons

Low pay, long commute to work

8. 5.0
    Former Employee

what you make of it

Jun 21, 2022 - ESL Instructor in Cincinnati, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome support from the coordinator and a great team of motivated individuals who believe in service

Cons

Not paid enough Benefits are limited

9. 4.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good

Jun 20, 2022 - City Year Corps Member
    Business Outlook

Pros

It was good experience to have

Cons

The hours and wage are not great

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Internal leadership challenges

Jul 2, 2022 - State Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great mission, and volunteers/members are amazing.

Cons

Processes are nonlinear. Agency makes processes far too complex (CHC, etc.) and well-meaning human service agencies don't have time to focus on the important community service elements due to heavy-handed requirements from CNCS.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,876 Reviews

AmeriCorps Reviews FAQs

AmeriCorps has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 2,255 reviews left anonymously by employees. 69% of employees would recommend working at AmeriCorps to a friend and 44% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, AmeriCorps employees rate their compensation and benefits as 2.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at AmeriCorps. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

69% of AmeriCorps employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated AmeriCorps 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at AmeriCorps to be culture, benefits, career development and the cons to be work life balance, management, compensation.

Popular Careers with AmeriCorps Job Seekers