AmeriCorps Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Pros
  • Great program to kick start a career in volunteer or non profit areas (in 57 reviews)

• Working with an organization that strives to make a difference in communities (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The living stipend is pretty dismal (in 43 reviews)

• As a part of their mission, the VISTAs are only paid as much as the people they are helping ie minimum wage (in 31 reviews)

1. "What you make of it"

Current Employee - Community Engagement Coordinator in Newton, NJ
    Current Employee - Community Engagement Coordinator in Newton, NJ

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Education Award is definitely a big pro as well as the plethora of opportunities and experiences that being a VISTA provides. The experience wholly depends on the organization that you're placed at so be sure to do your research before applying to positions. I'm lucky enough that my supervisor has been great and really invested in my professional growth since the beginning and is very flexible. I'm located in New Jersey so because of the medicaid expansion I was able to get insured though medicaid and the supplemental medical reimbursement through AmeriCorps. You get 10 vacation days and 10 sick days which has been plenty for me. I'm almost done with my service year and have been able to take time to go on 2 longer vacations and 1 short vacations with careful planning. You can also take classes for free on topics like volunteer recruitment and strategic planning. They also offer a ton of free webinars on topics from social media management to the causes of poverty.

Cons

Stipend is pretty low but manageable if you can be frugal and have some savings prior to your year of service.

Advice to Management

It would be great if they could raise the stipend amount. I doubt that will happen anytime soon, but I would be able to preform my job more efficiently if I wasn't concerned about money nearing the end of a pay cycle.

2. "Good/Okay Use of a Year"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work can be very rewarding. I enjoy pretty much all of my coworkers, and my on site supervisors are extremely understanding.

Being positioned in a high school classroom really lets you know if an education career is in store for you. It's a good way to get your feet yet without having to fully commit.

Pretty great resume builder.

Cons

The living stipend is pretty dismal. It can be hard to get by on the money that they give you.

The training sessions can be very hit or miss. At least one of the speakers was insultingly bad. It was a sensitivity training session that literally brought a coworker to tears due to the speaker's ineptitude to manage the room.

Some of the teaching materials given to you are pretty much unusable. For an organization that is strapped for cash, it's hard to imagine why they invested so much in a shoddy curriculum,

Advice to Management

There is a lack of organization that is frustrating. Events almost always feel like they were thrown together last minute. Things need to be planned out in advance, and members should receive substantially more notice of the plans.

3. "Served 18 Months"

Former Employee - Trail Worker in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Trail Worker in Olympia, WA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I served 18 months on a trail crew with Americorps. I believe that each and every program within Americorps differs greatly. My experience with Americorps as an organization was great. I felt that, for the most part, they took care of us and we always felt important. While there isn't much room for advancement, there are many opportunities to earn accolades such as a bronze, silver or gold presidential service awards. Most programs provide many certifications and training for members.The education grant upon completion is always nice, too.

Cons

The pay is absolutely atrocious. Some of the contractual bindings are a bit heavy-handed, such as being banned from wearing the Americorps logo in bars, liquor stores, legal cannabis stores, at any political function, etc. or be faced with losing your job, your contract & your education award. I spent 18 months paranoid that I was wearing my shirt in the wrong place, and as a crew we would even flip our shirts inside out when we went to get dinner and wanted to have a beer off the clock.

Advice to Management

Provide better interpersonal training to the supervisors. This job is difficult and the rumor mill / high school mentality seems to permeate.

5. "COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS COORIINATOR"

Current Employee - Community Partnerships Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Community Partnerships Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Get to work with children and work with a group diverse people.

Cons

Low low low pay and not enough to live.

Advice to Management

Care more about you VISTAS and pay them more ... you make 2.50 an hour for a 40 hour week

6. "State and National Member"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Helena, MT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Helena, MT

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to live somewhere else for a year; gain valuable experience without needing a lot of background experience in a particular area

Cons

living on a stipend is challenging; can be menial, repetitive service sometimes

7. "An upbeat non profit experience"

Former Employee - Corps Member - Jumpstart in Pittsburg, CA
    Former Employee - Corps Member - Jumpstart in Pittsburg, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Positive team environment
    Ongoing training opportunities
    Group bounding was a priority

Cons

Lack of materials / funding on passion
    Short staffed teams in large classrooms

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on, the mission is flawless. Fund will always be in issue with reliance on donations and government budgeting.

8. "Part-time Service Member"

Former Employee - Service in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Service in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time (More than a year)

Pros

AmeriCorps members receive the benefit of joining a nation-wide community, with access to resources through AmeriCorps alum, community events, etc. My site also did a fantastic job advocating for my well-being while serving with my host organization.

Cons

I was placed with an organization that should not have qualified for an AmeriCorps service member and was often asked to do work that was beyond the designated work for service members. AmeriCorps was not aware of this until halfway through my term and by then there was nothing to change.

Advice to Management

Please create a safer venue through which AmeriCorps members may contact their AmeriCorps supervisor. I often found that I had to do things through my host organization supervisor, and she was a big part of the issues that were coming up so it put me in a situation where it was uncomfortable to report what was happening.

9. "Vista"

Current Employee - Vista in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - Vista in Rockford, IL

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The AmeriCorps "pedigree" goes far in getting employment/furthering your education after your year of service

Cons

Not a progressive work culture, so even though they barely pay you there are limited option to flex hours, work from home, etc.

10. "Amazing Program"

Current Employee - Community Resource Developer in Jupiter, FL
    Current Employee - Community Resource Developer in Jupiter, FL

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing program to be a part of, the program wants you to capacity build and become engaged in as many ways as possible, strong connections with other members around the country, sense of community, making a difference

Cons

Living Stipend is not alot but thats what you agree to getting paid.

Advice to Management

None

11. "Job accuracy"

Current Employee - Vice President in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Vice President in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at AmeriCorps (More than 10 years)

Pros

I like the list of available jobs and updates.

Cons

Location of jobs I need is usually limited.