AmeriCorps Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Working with an organization that strives to make a difference in communities (in 35 reviews)

• I worked at a non profit clinic helping with health resources (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • The living stipend is pretty dismal (in 47 reviews)

• Some long hours, "modest" living allowance that can be difficult to live off of if living on your own (in 35 reviews)

1. "WCC - Great learning opportunities / Hit-and-Miss Leadership at Sponsor/Supervisor Level"

Former Employee - Crew Member/IP in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Crew Member/IP in Seattle, WA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Washington Conservation Corps (and Americorps program) is designed to provide affordable and quality labor for important environmental projects across the state (restoration projects, ecological monitoring, trail-building, even wildfire fighting and disaster response) and to function as a springboard for young people looking to further their education (for each year completed-- and you can do up to two-- employees receive a $5,500 educational award) and gain special career training (certifications like Wilderness Firefighting, HAZWOPR, WFR, training in ArcGIS, to name a few specific opportunities). Some of these training opportunities are provided through the WCC program, and are potentially available to each employee across the state; others are specific to the sponsor that a given employee works for, e.g. King County, Dept. of Fish and Wildlife, or perhaps a specific tribe or wilderness area/reserve. There are two primary kinds of positions: crew-member (working with a group of other people, under a supervisor who is a permanent employee of the Dept. of Ecology) and Individual Placement (functions more like an internship, can work solitarily under a sponsor who pays Ecology for this individual's placement, or with a group of other IP's, in certain cases). There are also "spike crews," a subdivision of the crew type of employment that focus on traveling to other parts of the state from where the crew is based, staying/working there for multiple weeks, including weekends, and then having extended time off upon returning. With such varied opportunities, there's something of value for anyone who's interested in what I've mentioned so far. Please see "Cons" section for qualifications on some of this info.

Cons

Some sponsors do more for their crews than others. This is really cool if you work for those sponsors, like I was lucky to-- but it's a bummer to make friends from other crews/sponsors and learn that their experience is either less rich or outright negative, read: sexism. Multiple female friends of mine, on different crews, encountered this. And that really sucks. I think my suggestions for applicants would be to apply to multiple crews so that you ideally have your pick of supervisors, or apply to a sponsor-location that multiple crews are based out of-- when supervisors interface with each other regularly, I think it promotes accountability. I'm lucky that each of the supervisors I had or interfaced with over two years (6 supervisors, as I worked in a location that housed multiple crews) were professional, supportive, not perfect, but not outright sexist. Tough to write this part of the review because the opportunities provided by the WCC are pretty incredible and unique, but with multiple friends having this particular negative experience, I feel I have to mention it.

Advice to Management

Not sure about specific advice to give regarding the "Cons" section I've written-- I believe that the leadership feels strongly about not wanting sexist supervisors, and I imagine it's a tough thing to screen for, potentially. Just want you to know it's an issue. I think the most senior leadership is wonderful. It's the supervisor level that can be problematic, and this has a huge effect on an employee's experience, and whether they can complete their year-long commitment, whether it's even healthy for them to do so.

2. "mentor program"

Former Employee - Collective Impacts Member in Santa Rosa, CA
    Former Employee - Collective Impacts Member in Santa Rosa, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

got to create curriculum.

Cons

had a small foundation and had to create as we go.

3. "Make the benefits work for you"

Pros

If you have a good VISTA leader, you can really make AmeriCorps work for you! You can get professional development $ for conferences etc. if it is included in your grant.

Cons

It's hard to live on the stipend

4. "resource development"

Pros

learn how to create fundraisers

Cons

there is a high turnover rate with Americorps vista program.

Advice to Management

n/a

5. "Horrible"

Pros

There are benefits as far as medical/health and free online training seminars to strengthen professional skills in different areas. Also, there is an education grant at the end of contract term that can be used towards federal loans or furthering your academic pursuits.

Cons

Very very low pay for their expectations! Granted , it is highlighted that the pay is dismal from the beginning but it's BELOW whatever poverty level they've established In the city assigned to work in. The specific non profit I worked alongside with was TAKE STOCK IN CHILDREN. I was hired as a full time employee but the caliber of work didn't require a full on 40+ hours of being present in the office---- "busy work" was given on many occasions and majority of the time. As aforementioned , the program gives a 5,700 dollar academic grant but it would have been better to just get a higher pay rate because after a full year of working for little to nothing, that 5k+ isn't enough!! This program can only be experienced by a young college grad still living at home or a retired person who is bored
     and feeling philanthropic.
    The program structure makes it okay to underpay people for full time work ....very clever set up ! Genius actually!!
    I suppose what I got out of it was "I never want to do this again ". First and last time !

Advice to Management

Continue tricking people .

6. "VISTA Volunteer"

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

Incredible service and networking opportunities

Cons

Low pay, one-year contract didn't seem like enough time

7. "Life of Service"

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Impacting the community and making a difference. Also the time is flexible and not demanding.

Cons

Not enough pay for what is asked of you

8. "Worth It"

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

Teaches Work Ethic
    Good Placement Opportunties
    Supported Team Environment
    Well Organized
    Segal Award

Cons

Low Pay
    Limited Contract Years
    Limited Work Capacities
    Lack of Opportunites to integrate with the organization placements
    Transitional Work Opportunities once program is completed
    Lack of Support for Alumni
    Low Benefits

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing but, help people transitioning out of the programs secure even temporary work within or outside the placement agency to assist with integration into the main workforce.

9. "Sucked"

Former Employee - FEMA Corps Member in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - FEMA Corps Member in Sacramento, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Found out what I did or did not want to do with my life

Cons

Everything else about the program sucked

Advice to Management

Stop hiring Team Leaders and Unit Leaders that go on power trips and abuse their authority and position.

10. "A busy time where I felt needed and useful every step of the way."

Current Employee - Team Leader- FEMA Corps in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Team Leader- FEMA Corps in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Consistent need, great resume builder, super experience. Overall this is a job that makes you very much aware of what you're made of.

Cons

Stress, difficulties in lodging, long periods operating alone. This job can be intense, there's a high turnover rate due to burnouts.

Advice to Management

Focus more on the Corps members, and update the job description.