AmeriCorps Reviews | Glassdoor

AmeriCorps Reviews

Updated August 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great for someone looking to gain experience in non profit work (in 61 reviews)

• Working with an organization that strives to make a difference in communities (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The living stipend is pretty dismal (in 46 reviews)

• Long hours (very long) and the pay (stipend) was really bad (in 31 reviews)

1. "rewarding to serve in a capacity building role."

Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps VISTA in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

real work experience without having to just push papers. it gives you the opportunity to ease into the professional world in a worthwhile field.

Cons

low pay, under appreciated in the sites. being an external member of the team can be ostracizing to say the least.

Advice to Management

stronger communication with the site supervisors

"Service position provides good work experience and education award"

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member
    Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Americorps is a service opportunity that provides a chance to gain work experience for those who are having a tough time getting their "foot in the door" somewhere. The Education Award is a huge benefit-even if I would've gotten a higher paying job I would never have been able to pay down my existing student loans so quickly. (It's nice to have the money set aside for that sole purpose.) Great program- loved the non profit environment.

Cons

Year of service= low pay
    ...but that's what you sign up for

"interesting and worthy of your time"

Former Employee - ESL Department Assistant and Language Tutor in Wausau, WI
    Former Employee - ESL Department Assistant and Language Tutor in Wausau, WI

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great experience for those who like volunteer work
    Many different skill sets you can go into within the program
    Very organized

Cons

Very little stipend, difficult to survive off of without help

Advice to Management

Nothing

4. "Reading Corps Literacy Tutor"

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

In my 10 months of service, I was able to meet and work with amazing and vastly different groups of people. It was an amazing experience to be able to give back to the community that I've lived in for the past five years. And on top of your daily service there are opportunities for (and some requirements) to participate in service outside of your routine service which made for a nice change of pace and interesting new experiences! Also FULL HEALTH CARE!

Cons

Some long hours, "modest" living allowance that can be difficult to live off of if living on your own

5. "AmeriCorps position in Chicago"

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The nonprofit I worked for had extra benefits they added to the salary and I was able to find inexpensive housing. AmeriCorps also has good benefits including Snap money for food and the option to get health care.

Cons

The living stipend is small, but it is possible to do

6. "AmeriCorps VISTA Project Assistant"

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) AmerCorps looks good on a resume 2) they help pay off student loans at the end of your term 3) the webinars offered online are often helpful.

Every other positive experience I had this year was solely because of the organization I was placed at. My organization happened to have a great mission, incredibly supportive employees, and my supervisor was wonderful. My organization was almost the only positive thing about my whole experience.

Cons

The greatest con is that they do NOT offer support to their VISTA's. We all agreed to take this low pay; the problem is it is supposed to be based on your county (people working in NYC get paid more than those in a small town because of the higher cost of living) but I was placed in a very wealthy neighborhood and still made the lowest stipend amount. The only housing I could afford was an hour commute away.

They do not help you find a place to live. They do not help with gas. They take you on as a national service volunteer, say how proud they are of the work you are doing, and then turn their heads and leave you to your own devices for absolutely everything.

I had severe car problems that I could not afford to fix that prevented me from getting to work for 2 weeks - i had to use sick days for these weeks - i called VMSU and asked about an emergency assistance fund and was told repeatedly there is none. I had to start a GoFundMe to pay for a new car. I found out months later that there might have actually been an assistance fund for me.

Everyone working at VMSU (vista member support unit) sounds like they are new and they basically read every response right out of the handbook. I understand that certain questions have answers that are in the VISTA handbook; the reason I would call VMSU is because something is unclear or i have questions, and they could never answer these extended questions. So then what support are you actually giving me?

I have called VMSU four times before regarding a single matter and they kept saying that i was on a list and they would call back; they never did.

They do not help you apply for food stamps. You do that independently.

For our project, they had regular "professional development calls" that were unorganized and in no way offered professional development....

I work a part time job (60 hours a week) to make ends meet.

Advice to Management

Pay VISTA members more! I understand we do not need to be making $50,000 a year, but less than $12,000 a year is not enough. Every other VISTA I know is extremely stressed about money, myself included, and this makes it MUCH MORE DIFFICULT to focus and work well at work. Stressed workers are not happy or efficient workers, and the claim that we are paid that amount to understand living in poverty seems like a gimmick.

Provide actual support to your VISTA members, listen to our advice on what to do better. The majority (almost 20) of VISTA members that I know are very unhappy about the same topics. There needs to be changes made.

7. "Very good opportunity for recent college grads to network"

Current Employee - VITA Coordinator
    Current Employee - VITA Coordinator

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get a chance to help people that are in need in your community by connecting them to a variety of different non profit resources available at no cost.

Cons

sometimes the needs of the client is beyond your scope of service

8. "Good for some, bad for others"

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

- Helps get a 'foot in the door' for your ideal career path
    - Gives you an idea of what that particular industry is like to work with
    - Is great for continuing education and experience

Cons

- Living on my own, it was very difficult to pay my bills on the stipend. I would recommend AmeriCorps to people living with their parents.
    - If you do not enjoy the work at your service site, the 45hrs/week for no pay becomes very difficult

9. "I worked with elementary school students to improve their reading skills."

Former Employee - Literacy Tutor in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Literacy Tutor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Supervisors met with me one to one to review whether lesson plans worked with the students or not. This allowed me to customize my lessons.

Cons

The main challenge was being placed with fellow tutors who sometimes did not mesh well with the team. I had minor problems with teamwork.

10. "Restoration Technician"

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

Great people, good valuable work

Cons

Budget cuts on the federal level put this job at risk