AmeriCorps Reviews | Glassdoor

AmeriCorps Reviews

Updated May 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great program to kick start a career in volunteer or non profit areas (in 57 reviews)

• Working with an organization that strives to make a difference in communities (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The living stipend is pretty dismal (in 43 reviews)

• As a part of their mission, the VISTAs are only paid as much as the people they are helping ie minimum wage (in 31 reviews)

1. "valuable the experience"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Denver, CO

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful, passionate people that want to do good in the world.

Cons

Stipend salary, communal living conditions.

"Debatable"

Former Employee - Community Resource Coordinator in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Community Resource Coordinator in Memphis, TN

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Experience, connections, easy to be accepted

Cons

Living stipend, lack of supervision, training workshops, support

Advice to Management

The living stipend is honhestly a joke. You're supposed to live below the poverty range so you can "relate" to the people you are working for, hoewever, this technique is NOT going to teach anyone about living in poverty. The stipend is poverty tourism. Despite being paid below minimum wage, you're not actually "experiencing" what it's like to be in poverty if you already have the advantages of graduating from college, having previous internships, not having a family, owning a car, not having dependents, and getting the full amount of local SNAP eligibility.
    The stipend is just a way to underpay and overwork volunteers to the government.

3. "Great Opportunity"

Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Baltimore, MD

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Provides great foundation for career in whatever field you want to go in

Cons

The pay stipend is really low

5. "Great Experience"

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at AmeriCorps (Less than a year)

Pros

Get more experience in whatever position you apply for. More than you thought you would.

Cons

Not paid nearly enough, due to living stipend.

Advice to Management

increase pay.

"4-H CAPITAL AmeriCorps"

Current Employee - 4-H CAPITAL Afterschool Instructor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - 4-H CAPITAL Afterschool Instructor in Austin, TX

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a very supportive environment - this is coming from somebody with no real experience in a teaching environment. This position benefits from being in education without the pressure of having tests, worksheets, state standard requirements. We are encouraged to be innovative and creative in lesson planning and that in turns allows the kids we teach to be innovative and creative in their learning

Cons

Living on a stipend is certainly a challenge and does not allow for much flexibility for emergency, travel, or exploration of the city

7. "I loved & helped with tutoring, and teaching the kids. Stopped working for them in 2006."

Former Employee - Team Leader in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Sacramento, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I made great friends, not only with the teachers, co-workers and parents. But also the children. Learning to let go each year, of the kids was difficult for me. I also worked for the school district, so I had had a different idea than the other AmeriCorp workers. Mine was a bit harder, and I enjoyed my role.

Cons

My roles were a bit different in each group, since I worked two separate positions. One job in the school district and one in the after school district for AmeriCorp. So that could make it difficult for me sometimes. My leaders, as they were called would be frustrated by my being used to one way, as I was ready for one position and I would forget that it was for another position. Getting old is a "pain" correct? As they say?

Advice to Management

Be patient is all I can say!

"Good experience depending on host site"

Current Employee - Americorps VISTA Member in Minot, ND
    Current Employee - Americorps VISTA Member in Minot, ND

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing once in a lifetime opportunities
    Meet many influential people
    Help fight for a cause you care about
    Good resume booster

Cons

Low stipend (some host sites offer free housing or cars to help with burden)
    Inconsistent work day (you may be extremely busy and stressed for weeks then stuck with nothing to do for weeks)
    Unattentive host site

Advice to Management

Work with host site before VISTAs arrive to ensure expectations are know.
    Trust in the ability of the VISTA, but offer support in any capacity needed as this is usually their first full-time job.
    Be upfront and direct of expectations and goals before offering the position.

9. "Attandence Mentor"

Former Employee - Attendance Mentor in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Attendance Mentor in Orem, UT

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment working with kids in school

Cons

So many extra things you have to do, pay is terrible.

10. "Great organization"

Current Employee - College Adviser in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - College Adviser in Lansing, MI

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

Fun experience, work in different locations, get great professional experience, big resume builder

Cons

You get a living stipend which differs depending on which section of AmeriCorps you serve in. I am a college adviser for AdviseMI and the living stipend isn't terrible. It's more about the experience than the pay.

"AmeriCorps Project Conserve"

Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Asheville, NC
    Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Asheville, NC

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Project Conserve provides a unique opportunity for people to tap into a number of keystone non-profits and conservation groups in WNC. I feel ACPC has a reputation in the field for training up excellent environmentalists who are passionate about their work, some of whom end up going full time with their host site. The project directors and coordinators during my time have been very helpful. You'll get to make connections with numerous individuals in the environmental field and dabble in different types of conservation work through the trainings and work days. Also, other service members can become good friends. Food stamps and mileage reimbursement a plus. Can work on the side but you'll probably not have much time to. Possible to defer your student loans.

Cons

Choose your host site wisely, one that will support you and provide the possibility for future employment.

The monthly stipend is very low and does not reflect the degree of work we put in. You will take on a lot of responsibility, and always have a stack of events and tasks to complete. Unfortunately, the interns at my host site made almost $3 more an hour than me. This is often a very frustrating concern among service members. Then again, it's a very competitive field here and you know what you're going to be paid when you sign the contract. Health insurance reimbursement was $50/month NOT included as I was let to believe by the website when applying. Housing not provided. My host side was very small with no opportunity for future employment.

Advice to Management

We're in the non-profit world and everyone has to juggle many tasks. However, I would appreciate if my host site supervisor made a better effort to introduce me to other professionals/potential employers in the field. Also invite me to as many career building opportunities as possible as that is the major career benefit of being an AmeriCorps.

Please provide a housing option for service members. Frustrating that other AmeriCorps programs include housing and a comparable stipend but ACPC does not. Asheville is very expensive. After taxes, half my monthly stipend goes to rent and utilities leaving ~$450 for the whole month.