AmeriCorps Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

AmeriCorps Reviews

Updated March 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great program to kick start a career in volunteer or non profit areas (in 57 reviews)

• Working with an organization that strives to make a difference in communities (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • You get a living stipend which differs depending on which section of AmeriCorps you serve in (in 41 reviews)

• As a part of their mission, the VISTAs are only paid as much as the people they are helping ie minimum wage (in 31 reviews)

"(VISTA)I don't have much nice to say."

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's pretty easy to get accepted, and the bar is set pretty low as far a performance. It's also pretty hard to get fired.

Cons

I support the organization's mission to eradicate poverty and build capacity for non-profits and governments but the model is seriously flawed. Providing a living stipend that is drastically below minimum wage (and therefore INSANELY below living wages) means that it's nearly impossible to survive the year unless 1. your family is wealthy and willing to support you, 2. your spouse or partner is able and willing to support you, or 3. you sacrifice your personal well-being due to stress and taking on several additional part-time jobs. This means that the people that choose to apply are generally young recent grads with upper middle-class families that will support them (if you don't believe me just swing by any PSO). With this in mind, you're not exactly getting the most qualified candidates to work to eradicate poverty. Instead, tax dollars are being used to teach these young people some valuable lessons about reality. This is a good thing - buuuuuuutt not exactly what the organization touts as it's mission. If you want to be a "service-learning" experience for young professionals -just call yourself that. If not, change the model.

2. "Great way to serve"

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

Working as an AmeriCorps you are guaranteed to be making a difference in your community. Your work will be meaningful and hopefully lasting. This is also a great opportunity to gain experience at a higher level than you might get with older non-profits if you are right out of college.

Cons

The organizations who apply for VISTAs and get them are often those desperately in need of help. Great chance for you to have a lot of responsibility. Real chance you might end up with way more responsibility than you ever wanted.

"4-H CAPITAL AmeriCorps"

Current Employee - 4-H CAPITAL Afterschool Instructor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - 4-H CAPITAL Afterschool Instructor in Austin, TX

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a very supportive environment - this is coming from somebody with no real experience in a teaching environment. This position benefits from being in education without the pressure of having tests, worksheets, state standard requirements. We are encouraged to be innovative and creative in lesson planning and that in turns allows the kids we teach to be innovative and creative in their learning

Cons

Living on a stipend is certainly a challenge and does not allow for much flexibility for emergency, travel, or exploration of the city

5. "Crew member"

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning experience that you get paid for as well! Lots of friendly people working towards common goal of bettering themselves and their surroundings.

Cons

You are getting paid essentially to learn and build career so that is what you are paid for! They make sure you can live just inside the line of comfort, sometimes might be tight, just depends on your values!!!

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job! Keep it up! I love the programme I am in and hope it will help me get a job I will love in the future!!!

6. "I loved & helped with tutoring, and teaching the kids. Stopped working for them in 2006."

Former Employee - Team Leader in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Sacramento, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I made great friends, not only with the teachers, co-workers and parents. But also the children. Learning to let go each year, of the kids was difficult for me. I also worked for the school district, so I had had a different idea than the other AmeriCorp workers. Mine was a bit harder, and I enjoyed my role.

Cons

My roles were a bit different in each group, since I worked two separate positions. One job in the school district and one in the after school district for AmeriCorp. So that could make it difficult for me sometimes. My leaders, as they were called would be frustrated by my being used to one way, as I was ready for one position and I would forget that it was for another position. Getting old is a "pain" correct? As they say?

Advice to Management

Be patient is all I can say!

"Good experience depending on host site"

Current Employee - Americorps VISTA Member in Minot, ND
    Current Employee - Americorps VISTA Member in Minot, ND

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing once in a lifetime opportunities
    Meet many influential people
    Help fight for a cause you care about
    Good resume booster

Cons

Low stipend (some host sites offer free housing or cars to help with burden)
    Inconsistent work day (you may be extremely busy and stressed for weeks then stuck with nothing to do for weeks)
    Unattentive host site

Advice to Management

Work with host site before VISTAs arrive to ensure expectations are know.
    Trust in the ability of the VISTA, but offer support in any capacity needed as this is usually their first full-time job.
    Be upfront and direct of expectations and goals before offering the position.

8. "Great Place"

Pros

Love helping the community, great people

Cons

Hard work, lot's to do

Advice to Management

Keep doing great

9. "Great Post-Grad Experience"

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

Full-time, gives you lots of experience
    Help out an organization that does meaningful work
    Benefits
    Education stipend
    No long-term committment

Cons

Living wage - tiny
    Can be difficult to feel like a true part of the organization, to have a meaningful impact

10. "Great experience but low stipends"

Pros

As a recent college graduate, this position is really helping me build applicable job skills to my job resume.

Cons

The stipends are nothing to be desired but the education award or the cash payout at then end makes it worth it.

11. "Attandence Mentor"

Former Employee - Attendance Mentor in Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Attendance Mentor in Orem, UT

I worked at AmeriCorps part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment working with kids in school

Cons

So many extra things you have to do, pay is terrible.