AmeriCorps Reviews | Glassdoor

AmeriCorps Reviews

Updated June 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • It's also a really nice way to explore the world of non-profit work (in 57 reviews)

• Working with an organization that strives to make a difference in communities (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • The living stipend is pretty dismal (in 43 reviews)

• As a part of their mission, the VISTAs are only paid as much as the people they are helping ie minimum wage (in 31 reviews)

1. "NCCC corps member"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Travel the country.
    Meet amazing people.

Cons

Living and working with 10 people constantly

Advice to Management

None, federal employee program

2. "FEMA Corps: Not what I expected"

Current Employee - Corps Member in Vicksburg, MS
    Current Employee - Corps Member in Vicksburg, MS

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to meet a bunch of amazing people your age and you get to work with employees in FEMA.

Cons

The Welcome Packet is very misleading. There are a lot of things that they do not tell you when you first sign up. For example, there is a curfew (at least for the Vicksburg campus) and how your Team Leader has the power to make all the decisions for the team while the Corps members have none.

Advice to Management

Make the Welcome Packet realistic so people know what they are getting into. It is extremely unfair when people think they are signing up for one thing and experience another.

3. "AmeriCorps is a great experience"

Former Employee - Employment Specialist in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Employment Specialist in Little Rock, AR

Pros

Great education, and great experience

Cons

Demanding, if need flexibility in life, then do not attempt

4. "It was a 10 month program"

Former Employee - Corps Member in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Corps Member in Sacramento, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everything was paid for, you got to travel the country for 10 months, got to work with various non profits

Cons

didn't get paid well, Lived with 10 to more people you didn't know but got used to it,

Advice to Management

I would do it again if i had the chance

5. "Changed my life."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Awesome program as a Corps Member. Loved my team and the staff I worked with.

Cons

Must be able to be flexible and be comfortable with constant change.

6. "AMUS Detroit"

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Detroit, MI

I have been working at AmeriCorps part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The organizations we work with are wonderful. Residents really appreciate the work we do. We have several large-scale volunteer events each year and they're a blast to be a part of. The service award is really beneficial for college students.

Cons

Pay does not reflect the amount of work expected. Miscommunication plagues our AmeriCorps program but isn't necessarily a nationwide problem.

Advice to Management

Give room for upward mobility to people who deserve it, not based on their time commitment.

7. "Huge government program, with many many great projects."

Former Employee - Program Director in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Program Director in Providence, RI

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Purposeful work, in communities of need. Your daily work has an impact, on your members, and the community.

Cons

Annual turn over of members means you never achieve ROI on their training. Hard work!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Bait and Switch"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington, WV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington, WV

Pros

From what little bit I learned, AmeriCorps is a grant funded government program. I best describe it as community service with a living stipend. I learned of the program through my college aged child through an email they received from their psych department. We both thought it would be a great way to earn a few extra dollars while doing something we enjoyed. We were both looking forward to working together on projects and helping out in our community. You choose between several options of hours completed in a 12 month period and you receive a stipend bi-weekly (taxes taken out as a normal job would) and at the end of completing all of the contract requirements you also get a lump sum to use towards an already acquired student loan or towards future schooling. They do not call it a job or a pay check. It is service and living stipend. I am unsure if it is because it is through grants or if that is how they get by with paying less than minimum wage or both. So, pro cuz you get paid something, but con as it is not minimum wage.

Cons

We were interviewed separately but both of us expressed in great detail how we needed something to work around our current schedules. (I have a full time M-F 8-4:30 job and they are a full time college student taking 12 hours plus volunteering at a local CONTACT organization.) I was extremely graphic in that it specifically stated in my handbook that I was able to have a part-time job but I could not use annual leave or sick time to work that part time job. If any training or meetings were during the time I was to be at work I would not be able to take this position. I was assured (as was my child) that while there were a couple things it would be possible to work around that and not to be worried. I left the interview feeling pretty good about it all. I was offered a position a few days later and again said my only concern is I cannot do anything during the normal business hours and was again assured it would not be an issue (as was my child when they received the offer as well). Fast forward a couple of weeks and suddenly I am receiving an email to make arrangements for "mandatory orientation" in a city 2 hours away on a weekday from 9-3. I sent an email back stating I am not able to attend this as previously discussed I can't miss work and I was under the impression they would do something after hours. The back and forth emails (that started discussing mandatory swearing in ceremony that is 4 hours away and trainings local and not local) eventually lead to a phone call where I was told they are titled mandatory because they are absolutely important and if not called that people would have all sorts of reasons why they couldn't attend. Could I attend one of them? and if so they recommended the orientation and she would take care of me (and my child) not attending the swearing in ceremony and we both made the commitment that I would make myself as available as possible to get the trainings completed whenever she was available to do them for me and my child. So, against my better judgment I used an annual leave day and went to the orientation. (My child was able to attend it as it happened to be on a day she did not have class.) Fast forward again a couple more weeks and I suddenly get an email from the coordinator higher up than my immediate coordinator saying they cannot excuse my child and me both from the ceremony can't I just take a vacation day? I again go into great detail about how I was explicit in my interview and then multiple times after that I nor my child can miss work/school and explained again that I signed a contract stating I would not use annual leave or sick time to work another job and I would not put my full time, bill paying, insurance providing pay check in jeopardy over a living stipend that did not even average out to minimum wage. 2 days later my child and I received a group text from that coordinator (apologizing that it was a text as her email was not working) stating that after talking to our local site coordinator they were accepting our resignation effective 29 Sept. If we have any more questions we could set up a conference call to discuss it. That was it. No, I am sorry you were told that, but that was wrong information. Nothing. We gave them a month of our time and effort and lost a month of looking for an actual job that would pay and actually work around our schedules. Is it a good program? I have no idea-but based on the month I was with them I wouldn't trust what they told me. On a side note I have a friend who works for them through a different program that told them up front she could not attend the swearing in ceremony as her husband would be out of town and she has a child that would be in school and was told to not worry about it and then was forced to take her child out of school for the day and board her dogs as she HAD to attend the ceremony.

Advice to Management

Get everyone on the same page. I was completely upfront and honest about my needs and desires and it turned in a bait and switch. I said multiple times I was not able to do anything during a specific time and if that was a requirement I would not be able to accept the position. After giving them a month of my time to be dismissed via text with nothing further is not good business either. One coordinator tells you one thing and another something else. BAD BUSINESS. Do what you say and mean what you say.

9. "Need to be Passionate"

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Chicago, IL

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time

Pros

Gain professional experience, work in a field you're passionate about, give back, and gain an education award after 11 months of service.

Cons

Terrible pay. Nonprofit (your site) may be unorganized or lack support. Often work in neighborhoods considered dangerous (personal safety). Access to public benefits not guaranteed.

Advice to Management

Pay more, it's more than just service. Have a network of higher ups to report to. Ensure organization of sites. Provide support to members. Stop requiring ridiculous data collection and days out of programming for recognition days, etc.

10. "Team Leader- NCCC Pacific Region"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Sacramento, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You gain valuable hands-on experience with a variety of organizations throughout your specific region in the country.
    The servicework you complete is always meaningful.
    You are always making an impact on your team members, and the communities that you serve.
    The people that you work with every day are well-intentioned and altruistic individuals.
    Personal and Professional development occur over the time period.
    You grow a strong network with various organizations.
    Your coworkers (other Team Leaders) are extremely supportive. You can come to them at any point as they understand most everything that you are going through.
    You get free travel, food, insurance, etc.
    If you make it through to the end of the program, the pros outweigh the cons.

Cons

You will work anywhere from 40-90 hours a week. (Some days, I worked for 15 hours straight, others I worked for a few hours)
    If you are deployed to a disaster, you could work a month straight with only one day off.
    This position with mentally, physically, and emotionally test you just about every single day.
    You never really get a full weekend off because you will ultimately spend one of your days completing paperwork that will be due before business hours on Monday.
    Staff can be difficult to reach; especially when you need them. Some times, I would send an email and not hear anything back for weeks. Other times, you will hear a response in minutes.