AmeriCorps "non profit" Reviews | Glassdoor

AmeriCorps Employee Reviews about "non profit"

Updated Dec 2, 2019

3.7
AmeriCorps Director Rosie K. Mauk
Rosie K. Mauk
Pros
  • "Flexible, hands-on experience doing program development, great experience getting to know how non-profit organizations work(in 79 reviews)

• "great experience, teamwork as well as leadership roles(in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • "The compensation (living stipend) is far too low(in 62 reviews)

• "Long hours, low pay, diverse group could be challenging to get along with 100 % of the time(in 46 reviews)

Reviews about "non profit"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "AmeriCorps is a good option for folks who want to make a difference."

Former Employee - Volunteer Outreach Coordinator

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being an AmeriCorps member gives an excellent foundation to those who are looking for one. It allows you to learn how non-profits are run and you're able to connect with others who have the same passion for helping people as you do.

Cons

An AmeriCorps stipend isn't lavish, but at the same time, everyone who works as a member isn't looking to get paid handsomely. It's also difficult at times when encountering 2nd-hand trauma and feeling like you can do as much as you'd like for the people you serve.

AmeriCorps2019-11-14
  2. "Low pay, low program support, great host organization"

Former Employee - Fellow in Honolulu, HI

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

Pros

Allowed me to find a job at a small non-profit that I wouldn't have known about otherwise

Cons

Pay is really low, no cost of living adjustment for the *very expensive* location I was in. No assistance, no information about the benefits until it's too late to apply. Low program supervision about the work, so a lot of the work is meaningless. I didn't get two degrees from a top institution to go clean bathrooms.

Advice to Management

PLEASE, pay your employees a living wage.

AmeriCorps2019-12-02
  3. "Quick and dirty way to get a lot of experience!"

Current Contractor - Vista

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Cons

I wish we had more support,

AmeriCorps2019-10-24

"A great opportunity to serve!"

Current Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Tampa, FL

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros

AmeriCorps offers opportunities in local non-profits to do direct or indirect service in a community. I appreciate the opportunity to gain experience and learn more about my community through my service, especially coming right out of college. The education award is also a huge benefit that I am using to contribute to my master's degree.

Cons

There are no strong cons that I think of when I reflect on my time as an AmeriCorps member.

AmeriCorps2019-09-21
  5. "Lot's of opportunity, but you could stay poor"

Former Employee - AmeriCorps Member in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lot's of different opportunities all over the US and a chance to get your foot in the door at notable non-profits/ experience with relevant causes.

Cons

If you don't know how to leverage your experience you may set yourself up for more poverty wages and contract work. The appointments are not more than a year so you should be VERY strategic in where you go and if there will be a job prospect for you once you complete your term of service.

AmeriCorps2019-08-13
  6. "Great training and good opportunities"

Former Contractor - Program and Development VISTA in Montpelier, VT

I worked at AmeriCorps for more than a year

Pros

A great way to get into the world of Non-profit work and can put you in contact with a solid network of resources

Cons

low pay, it really and truly is an act of service

Advice to Management

The training could be more tailored to the needs of VISTAS and their communities, the opportunity for members to make presentations and learn from their organizations is invaluable.

AmeriCorps2019-05-30
  7. "Good work and experience but poor management structure"

Former Contractor - Corp Member in Sacramento, CA

I worked at AmeriCorps for less than a year

Pros

Great varied experiences working with many kinds of organizations. Get an inside view into the practice of non profits and volunteering agencies. Looks good on a resume

Cons

Disorganized structure, with almost no consistency. Corps members are at the mercy of team leaders who can have inadequate training or temperament for the job. While housing and food are provided for, the pay is exceedingly low. Expect a lot of bureaucratic hurdles for basic actions. A lot of these problems are not the fault of AmeriCorps itself however, as it operates through funding by the federal government and... is subject to all its regulations ad rules.

Advice to Management

Better training, consistency, and oversight for team leaders

AmeriCorps2019-05-06
  8. "Good Opportunity for those interested in the non-profit route"

Former Employee - VISTA Volunteer in New York, NY

I worked at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

Pros

Supportive environment at the start where you can expand and an interesting network of people who are driven to improve their communities. It's really what you make of it.

Cons

Lack of resources or clear direction. As a volunteer you want to do your best but non-profit office politics can get in the way of not being able to complete even the simplest or smallest of tasks.

AmeriCorps2019-04-23
  9. "Great Org - Super Purpose"

I have been working at AmeriCorps full-time for less than a year

Pros

Meaningful work and very nice people.

Cons

Non profits just cant pay a lot

AmeriCorps2019-03-30
  10. "Please look into others’ experiences before agreeing to a service term"

I have been working at AmeriCorps

Pros

Experience working in a fast-paced, high-stress environment; you learn a lot about what you’re willing to put up with; great driving experience if you live far from your host site

Cons

Non-profits have garbage pay, it’s a fact. That, coupled with transportation costs and costs to attend “mandatory” events makes for having very little else to spend on food, rent, bills, etc. despite claiming to pay a “livable wage” and having employees work 40+ hours a week for less than half of minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Make less events mandatory for workers living 45+ minutes away from their host sites or major cities. Compensate employees for time and money spent traveling to host sites and events. Lower your required hours for employees starting later in the year to become eligible for education awards.

AmeriCorps2019-04-09