AmeriLife Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
AmeriLife Chief Executive Officer Scott Richard Perry
Scott Richard Perry

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Management is entirely focused on the success of new agents" (in 11 reviews)

• "Decent money, a lot of very good insurance carriers, diverse product portfolio, fast paced environment, good training, no Sundays, great trips" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "The new agents get 5% less commission than the other agents when they start out" (in 11 reviews)

• "Takes a lot of time and work to become successful" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Best career"

Current Employee - Agent in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Agent in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at AmeriLife full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The training here is great! You can work with experienced agents in your own office. Plus, you can call/e-mail any agent in the company to get additional advice on how to become more successful. They aren't just coworkers; they are family.

Cons

Coming from a salaried position, it was hard to switch to 100% commission. But when you get a salary, it doesn't matter if you work 40 hours or 80 hours in a week. You still get the same pay. Commission means I get paid for my hard work. My pay is now directly connected to my work.

Advice to Management

Keep believing in the new agents because they are the future. You never know who will be the next top producer in the company!

"AmeriLife, a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Agent in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Agent in Cary, NC

I have been working at AmeriLife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Training:
    - One week "new hire" class in a regional office. They teach you the process (i.e., warm up, information gathering, proposing solutions and closing), not the products, which I think is great.
    - We have a daily/morning meeting which includes .5 to 1 hour of training.
    - You get to work with a field trainer for as long as you need them (split commission).

Salary:
    - The pay is unlimited (i.e., you can make as much as you're willing to work for). I've read that the Financial Services industry has more $100K earners than any other industries.

Satisfaction:
    - You really get to help/serve people and they appreciate it.

Expenses:
    - You pay a nominal fee for daily Phone Leads.
    - You have a local office with a desk, admin support and various office supplies (e.g., office phone, rooms to meet with clients, printer, product brochures, etc.).
    - They give you an iPad (business use only), GPS and help fund the cost of getting the required state licenses (i.e., Life, Health and Medicare/LTC).

Experienced managers:
    - They are experienced agents that know how to lead and motivate/mentor their team.
    - In addition, they're extremely personable.

Lastly:
    - You learn so much in this job (i.e., it's good for the brain). Medicare can be complicated, but it's your job to simplify it for the potential client.

Cons

- It's 100% commission and you have to do "Cold Calling" (from a list they provide) to fill your calendar. You shouldn't let that scare you, because you get to work with a field trainer. You set the appointment, the Field Trainer does all the work and you get half the commission. It typically takes a few months of working with a Field Trainer, before you're ready to work on your own. Even after you start working on your own, you will need a Field Trainer to help you with the more complex products, (e.g., Indexed Universal Life policies and annuities).

Advice to Management

Please continue to closely scrutinize candidates. You need to be smart and willing to work hard (at least initially to get up to speed) to be successful in this business.

3. "Get out before you sign anything"

Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Tampa, FL

I worked at AmeriLife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some people do make money, a couple of great branch leaders willing to help you learn, split commission while you are learning

Cons

You will be sold by some slimey people on the job, make sure to read over the contract before signing, get everything you can in writing because they will flip on you regularly, don't rely on anyone but yourself and make sure to triple check everything on your own because if you don't you won't get paid, they prey on desperate people as customers and employees just remember if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. They will take just about anyone who walks in, if you have any self respect just leave before signing anything.

Advice to Management

Don't be hypocrites, you preach that you're honest all day in and out but at the end of the day you're overselling the job and acting like you provide a lot which just isn't true, we pay for it, and that isn't made very clear at all. It could be a great opportunity for the right person, but you will turn off the right people by being dishonest. Also, bringing up personal issues and politics in the office is inappropriate and uncomfortable.

"Almost a year"

I have been working at AmeriLife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I received lots of training

Cons

Takes a while to get paid

"Great work environment (Durham, NC office)"

Former Employee - Licensed Agent in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Licensed Agent in Durham, NC

I worked at AmeriLife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management goes above and beyond to ensure your success.
    There is constant training, and everyone is working together, helping you excel in your field as well as advance your career.
    Company provided leads and lots of tools/ materials to help you deliver the right products to your clients.

Cons

Each office is unique, not every location shares the same values the Durham office does.

"Wonderful place to work"

Former Employee - Independent Agent in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Independent Agent in McKinney, TX

I worked at AmeriLife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at the office in McKinney, TX for several months. Everyone there is there to help you succeed. The GM and branch Managers there are WONDERFUL! They will do everything in their power to give you what you need. The training provided by the company is worth so much and you aren’t required to pay for any of it. If you are dedicated and willing to go out in your own to make your money, JUMP for this position.

Cons

As an Independent agent, you are on 100% Commission. If you’re new to this industry then this could prove to be very difficult in the beginning. AS LONG AS YOU GIVE IT YOUR BEST, YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO MAKE OVER $100,000 YOUR FIRST/SECOND YEAR!!

Advice to Management

Both my GM Scott and Branch Manager Manuel are wonderful and, in all honesty, I can’t think of any advice to give them. You’re doing great guys!!

"Good Company"

Current Employee - Agent
    Current Employee - Agent

I have been working at AmeriLife full-time

Pros

Teach you the business to get started

Cons

Local managers are not always the best

"Agent"

Pros

Getting to work with seniors and trying to help them with Medicare options.

Cons

Terrible commission rates, taking too long to get paid on some companies, HORRIBLE training, if you aren't making sales, you will be left to die on the vine. My GM did not try to train me on any life insurance and how to properly sell to seniors (mainly convert policies) and told me he was too busy and it was too complex. I went completely broke doing this job, even though I did the 50 door knocks a day, hundreds of calls a day, senior center presentations, and did not get any seminars as promised. I busted my tail and quit my $50k a year job to try this new career out but was promised to be made rich only to be made broke. I'm so disappointed. Now I have a horrible taste in my mouth for this company and for insurance. Oh yea, was lied to about commissions that would be made (bonus numbers, not actual compensation numbers, so let's get all the agents hopes up).

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on the GM's and they are ACTUALLY doing. Don't listen to the what they may be spilling out to you but look at the turnover of agents and look at the actual numbers made. If the GM is broke, there is a problem.

"Excellent"

Pros

Good Training for agents at home Office. They the best with everything paíd by the company

Cons

Not very good managers to work with after hoy finish the training

10. "RUN"

Current Employee - Agent in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Agent in Charleston, SC

I have been working at AmeriLife full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none, old leads which have been worked to death

Cons

Manager had me write business under her while I was getting appointed and she kept the $$