America's Auto Auction Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Lot Operations"

Current Employee - Lot Operations in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Lot Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at America's Auto Auction full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment stress free. Fair pay.

Cons

weather can be tough on lot

2. "Thank You"

I have been working at America's Auto Auction full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere and staff!!! I must admit I have associated with many of the staff and upper management for several years now, actually it is close to two decades. The dedication to customer service and all around experience is a cut above the rest. The quality in inventory is top notch! I don't have to constantly look over my shoulder or go through my A/R's with a fine tooth comb wondering how I am getting screwed like I have from some other local auctions. Honestly the sellers they have maintained and new captured make it very easy and relaxing to run my operations and make a huge profit!!! If you are not taking advantage of this opportunity, you are truly missing out.... SIMPLY THE BEST!!!

Cons

I would be lying if I provided a con....

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing and always know how much I appreciate all your efforts to assist me in my success.

3. "Tough place to be"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Elk Grove Village, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Elk Grove Village, IL

I worked at America's Auto Auction full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers are wonderful people for the most part.

Cons

Top level management has no respect for employees, and values honesty very little.

Advice to Management

Un fixable without a change at the top.

4. "Accounting Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midlothian, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midlothian, IL

I worked at America's Auto Auction (Less than a year)

Pros

Location was within a thirty minute drive from my house.

Cons

Turned out they wanted a button pusher not someone who could think.

5. "Vice-Pesident"

Former Employee - Vice President in Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Washington, PA

I worked at America's Auto Auction (More than 8 years)

Pros

Growing Company looking to expand.

Cons

not expanding quickly enough to keep up with Market

6. "There are so many problems with this place I"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

I would say that they are fairly lenient with personal time given you need it to handle personal things. Full-time employees are offered competitive healthcare for themselves but even the cheapest plan is astronomically expensive when you include your family. It cost me 48% of my monthly income to cover my 4 person family.

Cons

Let me start this section by saying that management at this company is the worst I have ever seen. I was well over qualified for the position I was hired for but like many struggling I took this job to support my family.

The unfair and unequal treatment of employees is atrocious. Employees doing the same job for the same length of time and regardless of ability or skill are paid vastly different depending on how well "connected" they are. Yes "connected" like the mob. Its not tge mob but this company adopted the playbook. Your full-time employment job description and requirements often grossly out weigh the part-time employee job title and pay you receive. The lower than your job duties title you are given to submit to payroll ensures that any growth you do within the company will be forever stunted by your title. FYI corporate only sees your title and your pay not your list of responsibilites so if they decide you get paid to much for your title, then.... (and do not expect your manager to come to your aid to justify your pay for the work you are doing you know cover you since he sees what you are doing and should be the one to justify why you are there, you know manager stuff). When I started my job I was paid a couple dollars more than minimum wage to do a fairly simple task. Two months later I was approached by 3 upper management personell and asked to take on A LOT more responsibility for the same wages with the promise of a significant raise to come in the next few months, that raise never came. A year after I started I was given a ridiculously below average wage increase for the amount of work I was doing compared to other auctions in the area, but like a good employee I soldiered on under another new promise of a raise to come... over the next two years I never got that raise though my work load steadily increased. I am not the only employee that experienced this exact same treatment while other less qualified less able employees flourished at an unexplainable pace. Many of the mid-level and upper management are related or are friends of the family and these employees are easy to spot. They generally have a better attitude while putting forward less effort (they may walk with a purpose but walking and barking orders is the management style here) given that they are paid grotesquely more and required to do less work while they are gift wrapped the easiest most profitable accounts and responsibilities. The unequal treatment of employees and the low ceiling of advancement based on your "connection" is absolutely pathetic for any company but especially one of this size.

Bonuses and raises are treated the same as your employee status mentioned above. I received one bonus during my 3 years it was for $25. This is not a typo there are no zeros missing, that number is twentyfive dollars, this was in December just before Christmas of my second year, I took this as an insult. This same year others that did similar jobs to mine received nothing or hundreds of dollars depending on their relationship with management. Every manager received thousands of dollars. I am distictly familiar with the way business works and i understand that the higher your rank the more money you make but these bonuses are criminal. I have sat in on countless meetings with management and the managing figures of my accounts only to have my manager or another upper manager claim credit for my hard work and or ideas. I was treated with more respect and given more credit for the work I did by managers and owners of the accounts I managed than my own managers, so much so that it makes me furious just mentioning it. Most employees that show promise to advance if they would advance into a position filled by one of these connected wise-guys they are swiftly stalemated or forced out by management.

Benefits are competitive(ish) you get sick days and personal days as a full-time employee but I highly recommend you keep records of these because management does not and if the numbers come up odd they will never be odd in your favor.

This is the worst management team I have ever seen and experienced first hand. While the auctions numbers may look good on paper I assure you it is not a result of the management and I have never met anyone that was not "connected" that benefitted from the profits. I'm not sure a single manager would qualify or last more than a month in their position at any other auto auction and I have been in management long enough to know that none of them would qualify for a similar position at ANY other company and thrive. I would not trade a single $9 employee I currently have for one of these managers.

Advice to Management

My advice to these managers is to simply relax and enjoy your time in the clouds because one day it will all end and you will come crashing back to earth.

Corporate is either blind and only looking at numbers or simply believes they are better than "the rest of us". Corporate would visit from their Texas home fairly often though I am not sure other than living it up on the company dollar for a couple of days if they actually did any work. I was responsible for 2 of the largest accounts for almost 3 years and to this day I could not tell you the name of a single corporate manager and not a one of them ever stopped to ask my name or shake my hand and introduce himself/herself. Sad, sad, sad. That is who this company is, that is what they stand for.

7. "Broken Promises"

I worked at America's Auto Auction full-time

Pros

Decent benefit package. Paid sick and personal days. Paid vacation after one year. Overall laid back environment, though can seem unprofessional at times.

Cons

Salaries are rock bottom. Promises about salaries are often broken. They will tell you one thing and re neg within a few days. For a automobile company, they should be very familiar with the term "bait and switch."

Advice to Management

If you want to keep hard working employees happy, keep your promises. If you can't keep them, don't make them. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

8. "Horrific!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cartersville, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cartersville, GA

I worked at America's Auto Auction full-time

Pros

Flexible when you need time off

Cons

This company has zero values and morals. There is zero communication with employees. Corporate only sees the numbers and has no idea what really goes on there. A lot of illegal activity. They can't keep good employees to save their lives. If you sleep with upper management and customers, you apparently have a job for life. Sick.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your employees! Follow legalities of running a business! Stop sweeping problems under the rug. MANAGE your employees!!!!

9. "Since under new ownership, they overcharge, are very rude to customers and do not treat their employees right at all."

Former Employee - Mechanic in Cartersville, GA
    Former Employee - Mechanic in Cartersville, GA

I worked at America's Auto Auction full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When America's Auto Auction was Red Top Auto Auction and was privately owned, it was an incredible place to work. However, since it was bought out in April 2012, it has become an absolute horrivle place to work! Nothing good to say whatsoever about new management.

Cons

They do not appreciate their hardworking, loyal and longterm employees whatsoever; management socializes too much and does not manage employees appropriately; employees are generally underpaid; they overcharge significantly for benefits making it impossible to procure benefits through the company for your family. Overall terrible place to work.

Advice to Management

Invest more in your loyal and hardworking employees and ACTUALLY address human resource concerns before they are mishandled altogether. Pay those employees that have a longterm proven work ethic ACCORDINGLY....a $0.50 an hour raise after four years is not appropriate, it is shameful.