America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
L. Reade Fahs

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Once a year they give you either a years worth of free contacts or a new pair of glasses for free (in 7 reviews)

• Free pair of prescription glasses every year (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and No chance at Over-time (in 17 reviews)

• Their direct boss thinks calling and harassing the customers for not buying two pairs of glasses is what we should do (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - General Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family oriented. Busy and fast paced. Company eager to retain and reward great employees. Bonus structure for all associates.

Cons

Long term associates hard to come by. Base pay is low to start.

Advice to Management

Allow higher base pay to entice new employees and keep good ones from leaving.

2. "OpticiaN"

I have been working at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time

Pros

Good, fair management and access to training

Cons

Not many opportunities to move up

3. "Positive work environment"

I have been working at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, leadership and benefits.

Cons

Sales metrics are a pain, archaic work structure.

4. "Just Mediocre."

Former Employee - Reception & Sales/Optician in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Reception & Sales/Optician in Richmond, VA

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Get your foot in the door in optical & even medical field especially ophthalmology. This includes: learning optical equipment, learn how to interpret glasses & contact prescriptions, possibility of being licensed Optician [which the company will partially pay for]. I think they will help pay if you want to become an optometrist too.
    -Great co-workers (depends on which location)
    -A lot of PTO
    -Sundays off
    -Free pr of glasses every yr for full-time employees OR $250 toward contacts for yourself or glasses for family/friend. 3-4 half off coupons for family/friends.
    -Low prices for customers
    -EyeCare Club
    -Free glasses adjustments

Cons

-Low pay; Even in sales {including commission}, I was making about $12/hr. My base salary was only increased by 30 cents & it DID NOT go up at all while I was enrolled in the Licensed Optician program. So no reward for increased knowledge/skills.
    -Organization problems: Many stores in the district I worked in had high turnover because of lack of organization. This company will not slow business down in order to fix a problem. Patient charts sticking out of the shelves and packs of them hanging out around reception area? I guess they are fine taking their time to "get around to it."
    -Miles reimbursement: This is a pro & con. I am glad that they reimburse miles to travel from store to store, but I have been waiting for my money since January...it is about to be April. Still nothing. That is embarrassing.
    -Poor interview process: Had a few managers that had no experience in optical or even being a manager. It made their employee's jobs 100x harder.
    -Myself & others have experienced a promise of promotion which the company did not follow through with. If you are not sure whether you want to promote someone, don't promise them the job. I thought that was common sense.
    -Critical evaluations on sales performance on associates.
    -I have had a rude racial comment said about me {I'm asian} & someone use the race card on me {just to get an appt faster than the person ahead of them}, it'd be nice if management would back me up instead of having an apathetic response. Customer is not always right.

Advice to Management

Promote from within if possible with a good candidate & screen your potential new hires better. You will keep your best employees that way. Pay a little more to honor their service. It is disheartening to them when they can see a new store opening every few months on the portal, but you won't even give them a pay raise more than 40 cents.
    Take time to restore the stores that are messy. Close some appt times to clean house. Business may be a bit slower, but it should help w/ turnover & customer satisfaction.
    Don't let stores go 3 days in a week with no doctor while some stores get 2 doctors. It is unfair to the associates who depend on making FDT goals & commission.
    Your sales performance goals are unrealistic. You promote $69.95 yet you expect 50% packages?? And you barely give a raise when an associate sold $300,000 worth of product...$300,000 is enough for a nice house. Stop being so cheap. People want raises, not a special pen or pin to congratulate them on their service.

5. "General Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hours are great.
    Great employee and family discounts and coupons

Cons

Can be to fast paced at times. Sometimes long hours.

Advice to Management

Make sure your DM's treat GM's equally instead of favorites. Should learn from corporate meetings what the teach, trust, honesty, and RESPECT. Remember what you say one moment to the next. Support your GM's instead of listening to hearsay!
    Learn about retaliation!
    Stop talking about GM' s to other GM's.
    Be as professional as they expect their GM's to be.
    Listen to their GM's when they come to them with an issue instead of shutting them down!
    Don't transfer them to a non preforming store when they are at a store that is preforming. As this loses the trust and faith that was built between the DM and GM.

"Who Cares"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent hours blah blah that's 5 words

Cons

Pushy sales, hard to acheive goals, no senior leadership support, less money then other optical companies pay for same job title and duties

7. "Reception assistant"

Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist Assistant in Richland, SC
    Former Employee - Front Desk Receptionist Assistant in Richland, SC

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cons

There was no negotiation on the start pay. The place was kind of run down. Long on boarding training that took weeks

"OT"

I have been working at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time

Pros

The Patients are the best

Cons

too much drama within the workplace

9. "Optician"

Current Employee - Opticiaan in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Opticiaan in Richmond, VA

Pros

flexible schedule and stays busy

Cons

requires a lot of mental work, rude customers

Advice to Management

learn to respect and appreciate employees more

10. "Good work little pay"

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses part-time

Pros

The staff was very nice

Cons

The pay was horrible for all the tasks you have to do