America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
L. Reade Fahs

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefit of free pair of glasses every year no price limit (in 6 reviews)

• Free pair of eyeglasses a year of your choice (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and No chance at Over-time (in 16 reviews)

• Their direct boss thinks calling and harassing the customers for not buying two pairs of glasses is what we should do (in 5 reviews)

1. "?"

Current Employee - Optimetric Technician in Panama City, FL
    Current Employee - Optimetric Technician in Panama City, FL

I have been working at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses part-time

Pros

I think the prices are competent. Its very convenient for those that need their health support. Its a starting place for some not most in the area I employ.

Cons

The area is in a small town.
    Low pay. Long hours

2. "Management is Terrible"

Pros

Decent Pay
    Benefits
    Easy work environment
    Good co-workers
    Decent training

Cons

Management, both upper and lower don't care about you

3. "Receptionist"

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses part-time

Pros

Great Company to Work with. Very understanding

Cons

Miscommunication during work day. One person will say one thing and management will say something else

4. "Better places to work"

Former Employee - Eyeglass Sales in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Eyeglass Sales in Buford, GA

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They were hiring they were hiring they were hiring They were hiring they were hiring they were hiring They were hiring they were hiring they were hiring

Cons

No managerial leadership from the top to the bottom The training consists of answering multiple choice questions form the back of a dusty worn out manual. While testing you are still required to help the customers and up-sell them things they may not need but increase your commission profitability. The system for checking customers out is older than DOS and not quite as friendly. Don’t look to the managers for help they will make you wait and look stupid in front of the customers. Some of your customers may walk out like it’s your fault. There is plenty of gossip behind your back where you are labeled an idiot. But they had an older Optician who had never rung up one sale my entire time there. They laughed at him and called him the Shredder. No loyalty. No leadership. No friends. Better watch your back. When there are no customers you will be wiping everything, frames, dusting the floor, cleaning the bathrooms.. The old time lifer who set the appointments will also want you to do their job and set appointments as well. I refused no matter what they thought of me. The best day I had working there was the day I walked in late and told my manager I quit. She said without giving me any notice. And I said yeah, I’m giving you notice now-I quit. When these types of jobs get ready to fire you they don’t give you any notice. Example, John just want to let you know in two weeks we are going to fire you and we’re letting you know today so you can be prepared. The day they want to fire you they walk in and bring you into the office and fire you and tell you to hit the bricks. Plus, the store sells Chinese garbage for frames and will give you a hard time honoring that warranty you purchased. You have been warned

Advice to Management

Seek new employment

"Mixed Bag..."

Former Employee - Optometric Technician
    Former Employee - Optometric Technician

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice work environment. Technology was up to date. I liked most of my co workers. There were great benefits and vacation time. You also get a free exam/glasses and a 50% discount on glasses.

Cons

The short appointment slots often agitated the doctors and patient satisfaction often suffered because of it. As an optometrist technician, my responsibilities we're often unclear and the rules changed constantly. There was also a very high turnover rate and the pay wasn't great.

Advice to Management

Make appointment time slots longer. I think the patients and the doctors will be much happier!

6. "Horrible Company"

Former Employee - Optician
    Former Employee - Optician

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All the hours you wanted, you got it!

Cons

Management is terrible. Most of the time you're teaching them how to do their jobs, doing it for them or contacting different resources to find answers. Also, customer orders were barely on time or never correct. Lousy pay even for years of experience. If you're a doctor, you're treated like royalty though.

Advice to Management

Have experience in your position as general management before you take on the job.

7. "The employees make this a great place to work"

Former Employee - Medical Receptionist in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Medical Receptionist in Pensacola, FL

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall, my coworkers were a second family. It was great to change the lives of people by providing them with a better vision

Cons

Management when I was working was awful and the turnover rate was ridiculous

Advice to Management

It is not about the numbers, yet about providing affordable vision to those who need it.

8. "Contact Lens Manager"

Pros

Admirable upper management (CEO, CFO, Etc.)

Cons

Training and development tools are non-existent, which leads to coaching and selling to features and add-ons, rather than coaching to behaviors.

9. "Infrastructure rebuild"

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time

Pros

Free glasses once a year.

Cons

Industry low for pay. Long turn around times with an outside lab creates issues that take a month usually at minimum to deal with.

Advice to Management

Train and value your employees with a living wage.

10. "Fantastic experience."

Former Employee - Optician in Saint Peters, MO
    Former Employee - Optician in Saint Peters, MO

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Great compensation. Always room to move up if you prove yourself! National Vision takes care of its employees.

Cons

None. Fantastic place to work especially with no experience. The hours are great. They will take care of you long term

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!