America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
L. Reade Fahs

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefit of free pair of glasses every year no price limit (in 6 reviews)

• Free pair of eyeglasses a year of your choice (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay and No chance at Over-time (in 15 reviews)

• Their direct boss thinks calling and harassing the customers for not buying two pairs of glasses is what we should do (in 5 reviews)

1. "Assistant Manager"

I have been working at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours, they work around school & family schedule.

Cons

Hard workers are often taken for granted. Managers often abuse the clock in/out system and don't stick to their scheduled hours.

Advice to Management

Praise and reward hard workers.

2. "Ratings"

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses part-time

Pros

Great set of people to work for

Cons

Never enough hours for an actual living.

3. "Bad Rep. But Great Company"

Former Employee - Optician in Duluth, GA
    Former Employee - Optician in Duluth, GA

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed my co-workers
    Never felt like I was cheating or overcharging clients
    Great benefits

Cons

Some of the clientele can be bargain-shoppers and entitled in the rudest ways
    The marketing sometimes gave people a bait-and-switch feeling

Advice to Management

Be willing to pay your opticians and managers more. I'd still be there if you could have come up just a few dollars.

4. "General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Calumet City, IL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Calumet City, IL

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Location everywhere, great benefits, and training.

Cons

Bonus for managers are hard to get especially if you work in the older stores

5. "No work/life balance"

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts and commission are decent

Cons

Long hours, late nights, work nearly every Saturday until 5 or 6, too busy to take a break, Saturday morning meetings before store hours, constantly pressured by management.

Advice to Management

Upper management shouldn't be so pushy.

"Optometric Tech"

Former Employee - Optometric Technician in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Optometric Technician in Wilmington, DE

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have no experience, they will hire you, but the training is very basic and does not prepare you to adequately do your job. You will need a doctor who cares to teach you and a manager who will allow the time needed for you to be taught.
    You will learn all facets of the industry and will most likely be doing multiple jobs aside from the one you are titled as having on your pay stub which is both a pro and a con, depending on your intentions. The insurance is one of the cheaper premiums i have seen ($85 per check) and never had a problem with them refusing to cover anything.

Cons

Many. Pay is not enough for indusry standards. Advertising is misleading so a lot of patients/customers are angry. Do not allow enough time for a thorough eye exam, so you will always be running behind schedule. Patients become angry. Hope for good management or you (like me) will literally be pawned off as schedule maker and end-of-day person to compare numbers while your manager is out smoking cigarettes talking on his cell phone.

Advice to Management

You have a valued and needed product with affordable eyewear in the marketplace, however, you should not take advantage of the patients, customers, employees, and doctors by over scheduling, barely paying above minimum wage, and providing less than adequate training for the jobs at hand.

7. "Love workin for Americas Best"

Current Employee - Optician in Humble, TX
    Current Employee - Optician in Humble, TX

I have been working at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great general manager. All work as a team. Great benefits.

Cons

Alittle far from my home. Have worked 10 hrs every saturday since i started there

8. "Optometrist technician"

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time

Pros

The business was easy to find.

Cons

The management treated the employees terribly, the pay is awful, no communication from staff, too much drama.

9. "Former full time Optometric Tech"

Former Employee - Optometric Technician in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Optometric Technician in DeKalb, IL

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people I worked with became some of my closest friends. Our doctor is great as well!
    If you're in it for the hours, when we finally got our full time amazing doctor, I was doing 40 hours pretty much every week.

Cons

Management at my location was never really the greatest. In my year of being there, we went through 2 assistant managers(we were on the third when I departed), and two GMs. The second one moved on shortly after my departure. Also for a while there, we did not have a full time doctor.
    I'm not(exactly) sure why, but we had a lot of bad customer experiences. I could attribute some of this to management.
    I was also trying to get certified as an optometric tech.....no one knew how to get there. I was pretty much on my own.
    Also, despite teaching management how to tech, if anything happened to me, they didn't have a back up. I was their soul tech.
    Also, scheduling.....
    the reason a couple of us had really insanely good hours(40) was because we were pretty much a skeleton crew. The sad part is, the people that wanted to work more, didn't, and the people that didn't want to work more, were scheduled to. Our part timers were pullin in the hours as well as a couple full timers. One full timer was only consistently scheduled for about 27-29 hours each week. Not full time. When she questioned it, she was given no real answer.

Advice to Management

Please consider hiring general managers with previous optical experience!

10. "General Review"

Former Employee - Optician in Geneva, IL
    Former Employee - Optician in Geneva, IL

I worked at America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the most part it isnt hard, just know your products and know how to answer customers questions.
    Managers are nice and you get quite a few lunches on the company as long as your team does well.
    There are advancement opportunities as long as you show potential. I believe the company does pay for additional licensing.

Cons

You have to like sales to be part of this team. While the deal is 2 eyeglasses for 69 dollars, they want you to have the customer upgrade. I dont like to make people buy extra so I wasnt good at this.
    Pay is okay, could be better. I started off at 10$ an hour (with a degree)