American Academy of Arts & Sciences Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Jonathan F. Fanton

"New President"

I have been working at American Academy of Arts & Sciences

Pros

A new, very experienced President is now on board. All of the positive aspects listed in previous posts are still in place - especially the wonderful and dedicated staff. Future is looking good.

Cons

There are no cons to report.

American Academy of Arts & Sciences2014-09-13

"Loved my department; office culture more broadly, not so much"

Former Employee - Senior Editorial Assistant in Cambridge, MA

I worked at American Academy of Arts & Sciences full-time for more than a year

Pros

In my department (editorial) the management was great. Even as a more junior team member I felt like my opinion was valued.

Cons

The culture was not great. Poor work/life balance; LOTS of anxiety from staff due to lots of comings and goings under the previous president. A bit of a "martyr" mentality re: staying late, working events on weekends/nights, etc. Good compensation; poor health insurance package.

American Academy of Arts & Sciences2017-06-02

"Perks are nice"

I worked at American Academy of Arts & Sciences full-time

Pros

A good salary and vacation time -- nice summer and holiday hours, too. Lots of staff are very excited about what they do.

Cons

A very secretive and rigid atmosphere (and I never overlapped with the former administration, this is only in reference to the work atmosphere after). Very little opportunity for advancement.

American Academy of Arts & Sciences2015-12-22

"Admin"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at American Academy of Arts & Sciences full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, interesting work that the Academy does

Cons

The CEO was scary and mean, she is no longer there but it was a nightmare to come into work everyday.

American Academy of Arts & Sciences2015-10-18

"A new day..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at American Academy of Arts & Sciences full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, hard-working colleagues; good mission; excellent reputation of organization and members, drawn from the leaders in every profession worldwide

Cons

Some staff are still working through the experience of having worked under the previous president, and some staff from the same era are unable to let go of what they experienced during her regime

American Academy of Arts & Sciences2015-10-12

"Looking up (new management)"

I worked at American Academy of Arts & Sciences full-time

Pros

It's worth pointing out that the previous CEO/president (the one many of the reviews from 2013 and earlier refer to) is no longer in office, and that there has been major board turnover as well. The staff is lovely: talented, smart, and good at what they do. Pay and benefits were great, and I hear there are even summer hours now. The building and grounds are gorgeous, too, although the offices themselves are pretty beige.

Cons

Still some lingering paranoia and secretiveness (at least when I left) from the previous president. It could be difficult to earn more responsibilities or to advance, since the culture of the office tended to resist delegation/promotion.

Advice to Management

Your staff is terrific—let them shine!

American Academy of Arts & Sciences2015-07-28

"Anxiety Central"

I worked at American Academy of Arts & Sciences

Pros

Provided a position to do what I do, well.

Cons

Reprehensible, secretive behavior by leadership and upper management.

American Academy of Arts & Sciences2014-10-08

"At the far end of the dysfunctional/abuse spectrum"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Cambridge, MA

I worked at American Academy of Arts & Sciences full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff, beautiful building, wonderful mission, serving an extraordinary group of Fellows.

Cons

The Executive Officer for the past 17 years is a highly disorganized individual, who makes up for this by verbally abusing the people who work for her. The turnover rate is astronomical, and that has everything to do with senior management. This organization has such promise, but isn't able to live up to the potential of the educated, hard-working employees because so much energy is invested in recruiting, hiring, training...

Advice to Management

The current board needs to be replaced and a serious search initiated to replace the outgoing Exec. Officer. Some PTSD counseling may be in order for the remaining staff.

American Academy of Arts & Sciences2013-08-01

"Prefer not to say"

I worked at American Academy of Arts & Sciences full-time

Pros

The Academy and staff were wonderful when I was there. The Academy was a closely-knit collection of staffers with an amazingly high degree of dedication to the mission. Benefits were good when I was there. 4 weeks vacation to start and a generous employer contribution to 401k - get this: 15% But that was then (pre-1996) - I can't say about now.

Cons

Executive Officer = primary "Con." Condescending, Convoluted, Condemning, Contemptuous, Controlling, Congenial - no wait, how did that get in there? And now, with the current news of falsified degrees, I guess "CON" itself may be applicable. I lasted about 8 months after that leadership change and I feel I deserved a medal. I don't know how others have been able to last at all. I knew I had skills that were very...

Advice to Management

Search Committee for a new CEO. Optionally, form and active board of overseers who can meet monthly and advice accordingly. The one person in control (now president and CEO) is an insult to the long history of The Academy. Make a major change in CEO and/or change the reporting structure. And I ask myself: does she have an annual performance review like everyone else? Or has she managed to side-step that, too?

American Academy of Arts & Sciences2013-06-05
        • "Great organization"

Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at American Academy of Arts & Sciences full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The Academy is an august institution whose former and current members include the brightest lights from the past 200-plus years in academia, art, business, public affairs and science. Under the current leadership, the Academy has grown tremendously. By all measures, it’s a success and a great place to work. The Academy demands excellence in its selection of members. It demands excellence in the studies it undertakes....

Cons

Like most nonprofit organizations, the Academy strives to make significant impact with limited resource. With additional funding, the organization could do even more.

American Academy of Arts & Sciences2013-04-28