American Academy of Family Physicians Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
John Meigs, Jr., MD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"An organization of which I'm proud to be part"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leawood, KS

I have been working at American Academy of Family Physicians full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AAFP offers its employees the best of both worlds: a people-focused and mission-based culture of nonprofits and the financial stability and competitive salaries of for-profits.

The company truly invests in its employees and provides opportunities to learn and grow. It also does well recognizing when employees go above and beyond.

Pay and benefits are competitive and have generally improved during my tenure. They also do encourage work-life balance. Sometimes, you'll have to put in extra hours, but that flexibility is reciprocated by the organization.

The people and our members (customers) are good people. I find my fellow employees to be smart, competent, and caring.

There are established cultural values that the company strives towards. While it's always a work in progress, I see genuine attempts at all levels to work towards and adhere to these.

Cons

I think in part due to the longer than average tenure, the organization and its employees are often resistant to change. I've seen this improving lately, but it still has a ways to go.

There can be some drama. I think this stems from people's passion for the job and sometimes aggressive goals set by leadership. It's also exasperated by the third con:

The ratio of idea generators and idea implementors seems to be off. There are a lot of people coming up with great ideas but not enough people able to implement those ideas. This leads to some tension and internal competition for resources.

There's still some "top-down" decision making processes. While most day-to-day decisions are done by collaboration or by employees most familiar with the subject - some large decisions still seem to get made at times without proper feedback from stakeholders.

Advice to Management

I think the main advice I'd have is to look into ways to balance the idea generation and idea implementation abilities.

Other than that, I think you're already working on right things - steering the company towards the established cultural values. There's still work to do (and probably always will be) but I do see genuine effort to get there.

2. "Program Strategist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leawood, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leawood, KS

I worked at American Academy of Family Physicians full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The office is closed (with pay) the week between Christmas and New Year.

Cons

Company lacks diversity. Not a lot of upward mobility.

3. "A Great Place to Work"

I worked at American Academy of Family Physicians full-time

Pros

Meaningful work, great benefits, good people and culture

Cons

Slow-moving and poor communication among divisions

4. "Great benefits but bad divisions"

I have been working at American Academy of Family Physicians full-time

Pros

Benefits are awesome. Fun events.

Cons

Disconnect between upper management and the workers.
    Each division has its own problems. In IT ever since the new CIO came in, he's trying to treat the non-profit organization as a multi-billion business. Overspending and exceeded budgets. The middle management in IT couldn't keep quality developers. All of the star developers left since then. Who would like to work in a place when good quality work doesn't get recognized/appreciated. The only way to be recognized here is be a doormat and do your work (even bad work will do).

Advice to Management

Don't try to change something that worked.

5. "Good company but not for millenials"

I have been working at American Academy of Family Physicians full-time

Pros

Great perks, good work life balance, the insurance is fantastic

Cons

Most people are older and stuck in that type of thinking. Not many young new technology type people

6. "Great Organization"

I worked at American Academy of Family Physicians full-time

Pros

Loved working with Family Physicians

Cons

Not too many that I can think of

"Has some positives, and quite a few fatal flaws"

Pros

Excellent benefits that include good health options, dental, and eye insurance. They have a nice 401K match and regular salary increases. Most directors are aware of the need for and supportive of work/life balance. I was lucky enough to work in a department that allowed some work from home hours.

Cons

The environment can often make you feel disempowered. There is no real alignment between divisions or departments. When there are attempts to build alignment it is met with much resistance. Many departments become very defensive or protective of their work. Departments have to compete one another for resources and organizational support. The environment is very reactive. A lot of staff energy is used to put out fires/respond to "emergencies" - little genuine effort is put into being proactive or preventing those emergencies. Overall it's a frustrating environment to navigate.

Advice to Management

Don't encourage or reward reactivity. Emphasize and build upon the notion that we're all working for the same common cause, helping our members. Quit developing systems that force departments to compete against each other to get what they need to do their jobs successfully. These systems only reinforce the silos.

8. "Good working environment"

Pros

Schedule, benefits, time-off, team events, people

Cons

Very political, not always clear on goals and direction

Advice to Management

Try to be less political

"Management"

I worked at American Academy of Family Physicians full-time

Pros

Used to be a good family atmosphere.

Cons

They really only listen to senior/executive management. This is a very top-down management style and pay scale. If you have a MD or PhD behind your name, you'll be treated like royalty (including a multi-six figure salary). If not, you'll be told what to do and how to do it and will have to jump through multiple hoops for decisions - which are often made by senior leadership without the input of staff.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and treat them well. Don't discard senior employees just because they've been there for more than 10 years.

10. "Great employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leawood, KS

I have been working at American Academy of Family Physicians full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

AAFP cares about their employees and shows it in many ways.

Cons

meeting heavy, constantly adding more work without identifying "stop do's".