American Academy of Sleep Medicine Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.4
Steve Van Hout

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great For Work-Life Balance"

Former Employee - Anonymou in Darien, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymou in Darien, IL

I worked at American Academy of Sleep Medicine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I see a lot of complaints about the ED in here. I believe you can work here if you are thick skinned. If anything, it is kind of humorous. Never take anything that happens at work to heart. That's what I learned from working here. It seems as if everyone does come here for only a paycheck, but isn't that what most people do anyway? On your death bed, are your achievements at work truly going to define you? No. Overall, this is a great place to work for. Everyone keeps to themselves and helps each other out when needed. It is the perfect place for someone who is very mellow, looking for good experience and just starting out in the career world.

Cons

Not much room for growth. Only come here for experience and skill building. Benefits aren't fantastic, either.

Advice to Management

N/A

American Academy of Sleep Medicine Response

May 31, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Thanks for your feedback and your review. We’re happy that you felt that you had a positive experience with the AASM and that it is a great place to work. We’ve been working hard to create a better... More

"Senior Communications"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Darien, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Darien, IL

I worked at American Academy of Sleep Medicine full-time

Pros

Great benefits and working environment. Very friendly and easy to get along with staff. Competitive salary.

Cons

Not a lot of flexibility in terms of work hours.

"Horrible Experience"

I worked at American Academy of Sleep Medicine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New building, great parking and easy to move up do to high turnover.

Cons

Stressful work environment created by inexperienced management. The company is behind in many areas because management is not open to new or innovative ideas. Company believes they are tech savvy but still playing catch up. Employees with any skill or experience leave within a year. If you are standing next to the person who just quit, the promotion is yours.

Employees are watched at all times and treated like children. Lack of trust causes most employees to be very negative and cliquey. Horrible communication between department. No need to be responsible or talented. Just be there on time and where you're suppose to be.

"If only the Board really knew..."

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at American Academy of Sleep Medicine full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The members are very nice to work with. The organization does have decent benefits, easy parking, a newer building, and relatively decent opportunity for growth if you are in the 'in crowd'.

Cons

The pay is not within industry standards for a number of positions. However, there is not a specific pay scale so managers could easily make less than some of their employees. Even human resources is not allowed to know what employees of the organization make. In most cases, the strategy is to pay as little as someone will accept.

It is not uncommon to hear leaders make inappropriate comments about a number of protected classes openly in the office. There is little to no diversity in the office, and that is not an accident. The executive director promotes gossip and talks about everyone behind their back. Anyone that does not participate is ignored or made fun of. Being uncomfortable with anything is not an option.

Promotions have little to do with talent and much more to do with who is 'in' at the moment. The executive director and those that are at the top tend to be secretive and do not take advantage of the ideas and talents of those in middle management. Micromanagement is rampant in the organization and every decision is based upon money, not what is right for the field of Sleep Medicine.

Staff turnover is very high because of low pay and the expectation of more than 40 hours per week. Some departments are so overworked they can't keep people more than a year. Overloading those that are good employees is not a winning strategy.

Advice to Management

Do right by your employees on more than just benefits. Standardize pay and require particular experience instead of promoting those that are popular at the time. Diversify more than just your assets.

"Needs a lot of improvement"

I worked at American Academy of Sleep Medicine full-time

Pros

Consistent work hours, reasonable salary, relaxed office dress code.

Cons

The office culture is incredibly toxic. Senior management doesn't make any efforts to make the office collaborative or encouraging — in fact, I would go as far as to say that if you try to collaborate with other departments you will almost certainly be reprimanded for it. The ED manages through intimidation, and most in middle management have been conditioned to treat employees similarly.

The ED is an HR nightmare. He will constantly strut through the office shouting slurs about people of color, homosexuals and women. This attitude causes a lot of strain in the overall work environment. Due to the cliques upheld within the organization, reporting inappropriate behavior or mistreatment is at worst, discouraged (with the employee who complained being penalized) and at best, ignored.

They nit-pick and attempt to dock your pay with policies that don't exist in the employee handbook. In general, big brother is always going to be watching you, right down to the amount of bathroom breaks you take.

This is a nonprofit that doesn't believe in change. Everyone is there to pick up a paycheck and go home. Innovation is strangled by the way workflows are organized (as in they aren't, no one really knows who to go to for assistance because no one attempts to collaborate with one another.)

This company is headed in the wrong direction, and without a serious overhaul in how the organization is managed and how the employees are treated, they will continue to have over half their staff leave within a year of being employed there.

"Hostile and Dysfunctional, Needs to Grow Up"

I have been working at American Academy of Sleep Medicine full-time

Pros

Relaxed dress code
    Room for growth due to high turnover rate

Cons

You are closely monitored upon entering the building by tracking in times down to the second, length of your bathroom breaks, and timed lunches (mandated to a communal area) within a specified time frame, no exceptions. One minute late? Expect to be reprimanded.

Senior leadership creates a hostile and cliquey environment and is discouraging of change, yet they continue to blame past leadership for the resulting poor culture and lack of communication between departments and make no concerted effort to fix it. This goes as far as reprimanding individuals for collaborating on projects.

ED is more invested in instilling fear, talking about how much money he has, and promoting negativity and discrimination than leading.

If you don't drink the kool-aid, they will force you out, as witnessed by the high turnover.

On site "holiday" events are more focused on showing off family members than uniting the employees.

Systems in place are incredibly behind the times and continues to impede on accomplishing quality work in a reasonable time.

Advice to Management

Without an overhaul in senior leadership, don't expect talented individuals to last long. Mandate management training to promote a team culture and not a dictatorship.

7. "Great Place to work"

Pros

Small office setting, causal office attire, great benefits, 401K and medical.

Cons

Salary scale is unbalanced for each coordinator position.

"Hostile Environment, Dysfunctional Leadership"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at American Academy of Sleep Medicine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Room for growth due to high staff turnover rates.

Cons

Top down organization with executive leadership who abuses power through manipulation, intimidation, and generally inappropriate or abusive behavior towards staff. Lots of retrograde views and "right of the kaiser" Fox News type politics loudly shared in office by ED, staff expected to be in lock-step with ED's lifestyle and beliefs. Gay and minority staff openly discriminated against by ED.

Staff is mostly underpaid and/or kept at part-time to avoid paying benefits. Absurdly large pay and bonuses go to Executive Leadership. Many staff members are expected to work extra 20-40 hours per week without compensation. Few staff have opportunity to take vacations because of stingy PTO plan and rigid, unforgiving enforcement of office hours. All activities within office are closely monitored and often disciplined by HR, including minutiae such as individual toilet paper use.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you would like to be treated.

"Old Non-profit Needs to Grow Up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Front line staff are wonderful

Cons

An organizational that’s been doing great work for a long time needs to grow up. Very dysfunctional at the top. Horrible pay for front line workers. Absurdly big paychecks for its executive staff. Staff kept at part-time to avoid paying them benefits.

Advice to Management

Bring in a new board of directors

10. "Feels good to be recognized and appreciated for my services and contributions to the Academy"

Pros

New modern building, great work space, a secure building which is important this day and age and business casual dress code. Nice locations, near tons of restaurants and shopping I get my errands done on my lunch since I have an hour. Close to forest preserves which is nice for walking during lunch as well. There is even a walking path right behind the building. There are times I'm able to see deer out the windows by the kitchen area very relaxing. Fantastic hour's stills feel like you actually have an evening left after you leave work. Some have the ability to work from home at times depending on your position. The paid time off that is offered is very flexible you're able to use your time for sick or days off not strict on how you use it, it's your time. They provide weekly updates to keep employees and members of the Academy in the loop on what is going on at the Academy and future projects. I'm always asked before given a new project what my work load is like and not like I'm being "watched" but the managers are considerate to not weigh me down and will allow enough time for something to get done. I don't feel rushed all the time which is important they value my time. The Academy is willing to listen to your ideas and consider them not a closed minded company. They even offer late start or early dismissal on bad snow days that are approved they care about us making it home safely.

Cons

I really have nothing to put here I'm happy to report, if this changes I will update accordingly.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and continue to reward and recognize hard workers.